Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe it's because I'm just used to a case at this point but when I use my phone without one I feel like it's gonna slip out of my hands constantly.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe it's because I'm just used to a case at this point but when I use my phone without one I feel like it's gonna slip out of my hands constantly.

Same here. The only phone that didn't feeil like that for me was my OPO, because of the textured back. After dropping that once, I put a case on it anyway. I just buy cheap, thin TPU cases to add a little protection from general wear and minor impacts.

I've been using Google fi since Saturday, and so far I'm liking it. Coverage is better than the map for my area indicated, but I haven't gone out to the areas where reception if poor yet. Having voicemail transcribed into hangouts and playable from there is nice. The only annoying thing is all my SMS conversations started new threads instead of continuing from the imported ones.

Crone

Went out of town to family close by and they flipped out I still had my Note 7 so I had to make a quick choice. Local Verizon store had the s7 edge in stock, and since Visa verify gave me troubles last week and I never ordered it I just switched it out today. Exact same experience and won't really miss the bigger screen or S-pen.

Although I'm second guessing myself, as usual, that maybe I should have leaped to the Pixel and tried that out first. Loved it? Keep it. Hate it? Return it and get the S7 Edge that I'm already familiar with.

Hmmmm...

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Same here. The only phone that didn't feeil like that for me was my OPO, because of the textured back. After dropping that once, I put a case on it anyway. I just buy cheap, thin TPU cases to add a little protection from general wear and minor impacts.

I've been using Google fi since Saturday, and so far I'm liking it. Coverage is better than the map for my area indicated, but I haven't gone out to the areas where reception if poor yet. Having voicemail transcribed into hangouts and playable from there is nice. The only annoying thing is all my SMS conversations started new threads instead of continuing from the imported ones.

That might be an issue with Hangouts. Google for what ever reason got rid of merged messages in Hangouts. Google said because it confused people but I think its because they are trying to push people to their new messaging apps

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That might be an issue with Hangouts. Google for what ever reason got rid of merged messages in Hangouts. Google said because it confused people but I think its because they are trying to push people to their new messaging apps

I'm aware of the separation of hangouts messages from SMS, a change that would have annoyed me if anyone I message uses both SMS and Hangouts instead of just one. This is 2 separate SMS threads for each person: one for before I was on Fi, one for after. The SMS threads from before have a grey SMS icon, the new ones have a blue icon. I can reply in the old threads and people will get the SMS, but replies will show up in the new thread.

Checked Messenger and only my old texts show up there, not the new threads that Hangouts started. Odd.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
All hail our new Chinese phone overlords?

The side bezels on the Pixel are thin enough that I accidentally touch the screen just holding it. This thing looks like it would be even worse in that regard. Thin bezels are great up to a point. I hope the accidental touch rejection mentioned works well.

Otherwise that looks pretty nice. That supplemental, movable button for nav bar access is an interesting feature to see included. The Paranoid Android rom from a few years back had that and I really liked it. Their implementation was a replacement for the nav bar though.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Google added on screen navigation back in Android 4.0? to get rid of a physical button area. Few utilized it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Google added on screen navigation back in Android 4.0? to get rid of a physical button area. Few utilized it.

Technically in Honecomb, Android 3.0, but that was tablet only. Once Google gave us on screen buttons and I had them on my Galaxy Nexus, physical buttons became a dealbreaker for me. I would not be able to go back to being able to deal with them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They're nice in theory. But when every phone, include Google's own nexus phones, still has enough chin for physical/capacitive buttons, you're essentially losing screen space for them. With the advent of physical home doubling as a fingerprint scanner, I'm much less adverse to off screen buttons now.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
They're nice in theory. But when every phone, include Google's own nexus phones, still has enough chin for physical/capacitive buttons, you're essentially losing screen space for them. With the advent of physical home doubling as a fingerprint scanner, I'm much less adverse to off screen buttons now.

Well that whys the Xiomi is 17:9, when the on screen controls pop up it becomes a normal 16:9

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got around to watching that video. I'm a bit surprised at specs and price, much more than I'd expect for $500 phone. I haven't heard of Xiaomi until recently, so not sure I trust the brand. I would like details on the display though. Something that large, things like PPI are important. And how does that "vibrator" perform compared to an actual speaker?

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
What about LTE bands for the Xiaomi phones? They only used to work on like half the US bands.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Since it's using a Qualcomm SoC, I would think it would have all the regular radios. It might be split by GSM and CDMA providers though. Not a lot of phone support all 4 major carriers in the US. They're annoyingly still mostly split between AT&T/TMO versions and Verizon/Sprint.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Tracking says my Edge 7 will come this evening. Wish it was a Note.

Will the data transfer via cord from my Note 3 move everything? Pics in texts and all?

Vaclav

Tracking says my Edge 7 will come this evening. Wish it was a Note.

Will the data transfer via cord from my Note 3 move everything? Pics in texts and all?

I used the data transfer doodad and app that comes loaded on the S7 Edge myself - and it transferred everything I can think of from my M8 - so I'd imagine something in the Samsung family is a shoe-in for success.

Crone

Returning the S7 edge to the Verizon store and going across the river into Oregon and rebuying it without sales tax. Also get a $100 Best Buy gift card.

Now is my chance to switch to Pixel but I don't know think I'm gonna do it. The stupid chin and no edge screen is a deal breaker for me despite hearing the entire software experience is amazing on the Pixel.

Vaclav

no edge screen is a deal breaker for me

Yea, I got my Edge just because, mostly because of the battery and "whatevered" about the edge screen during the actual purchase planning, but I think I'd have a hard time converting to a non-edge phone at this point, too many simplified gestures/info that it allows to make life a tad simpler.

The "fast 5" rolodex + setting up regular navigation hubs especially.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yea, I got my Edge just because, mostly because of the battery and "whatevered" about the edge screen during the actual purchase planning, but I think I'd have a hard time converting to a non-edge phone at this point, too many simplified gestures/info that it allows to make life a tad simpler.

The "fast 5" rolodex + setting up regular navigation hubs especially.

got mine, havent configed everything yet. the Edge thing seemed gimmicky till I toggled all the junk off and only run 2 layers (3 contacts + 3 shortcuts).. Now its a cant live without button, the always on screen feature does seem to make the battery last a lot longer, didnt realize how often I used to swipe the screen to check the time. Alot of thought was put into user functionality and streamlining actions.
Still getting used to newer android version functions.

Otterbox dropped the ball on the defender case for this phone, screen protector is floppy and sloppy, it's going in the trash as soon as unicorn beetle shows up.

Very sad this wasnt a Note, it would have been an epic phone.

Apollo64

N00b
Unless you are planning to use this as a weapon, i don't see how you need a bulky otterbox or even a screen protector for this. A simple case would suffice, we are not in 2012 anymore. Gorilla Glass 4 is scratch proof and you need to drop it face-down from some height for the screen to crack.