Smartphones

Malkav

French Madman
Got my HTC One yesterday, and it's one of the best phone I've ever had.

It just feels great in the hand, and the UI is very smooth. Quite a departure from my lagging Galaxy Nexus.

Installed TrickDroid with TeamSeven kernel this afternoon, running good.

Can't comment on the battery yet as I can't stop playing with it all day, so it's decharging quickly.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
For anyone interested in trying PA with the alpha build of HALO, downloads can be found here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10797958...ts/GBEb9E3ek6H

In it's current state, I don't care for HALO, as the anchor for the notifications doesn't disappear and it only works on stock UI and I prefer tablet UI. Apps launched by HALO appear over your current app without pausing it, but returning to the app is a bit inconsistent. When I hit the back button, sometimes it returns to the app I was using, sometimes it goes to the last homescreen I was on instead.

I do wonder if this is going to replace their previous plan for a slim notification bar the PIE mode, which I was looking forward to. The only thing keeping me from using PIE all the time is not being able to see notifications without bringing up PIE.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yep, I know about nav bar 0%. It's hard to go more than a page or two in the PA thread on XDA without having someone ask about it. I've gotten some odd app behavior when using nav bar 0% that hasn't come up in full PIE mode. It's probably about time I did a full wipe after the last few months of dirty flashing.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
What apps do you use to control your data usage ? I've seen so far :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droidwall.free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anth.ufirewall
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroidfirewall
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....security.lite

I want something that will block all data access for all applications when not on WiFi except for X-Y-Z applications (gmail, gtalk, talkdroid messenger).
Getting 20 30 40MB updates + advertisement kinda sucks (when you have a super limited data plan).

joz123

Potato del Grande
I'm in the Tuco boat, looking to get my first smartphone. I don't wanna do the 2 year contract stuff anymore and wanna just buy a phone and use Walmart plans. Would galaxy S3 be a good starter one? I got a bunch of amazon credit I can use toward one and I want an Android.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
S3 is a great phone. You might also look into a Nexus 4. I don't know if that works with Walmart's plans but it's a good phone and relatively cheap to buy off-contract.

joz123

Potato del Grande
S3 is a great phone. You might also look into a Nexus 4. I don't know if that works with Walmart's plans but it's a good phone and relatively cheap to buy off-contract.
Ya just looked at Nexus 4. Galaxy S3 is about 30 higher than the Nexus. Only thing I don't like about the Nexus is no micro SD slot for extra storage but I will be using most of the space for music and some apps so I wont worry too much if I get the 16mb one probably.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would definitely suggest the 16GB N4 over the 8GB. Ever since I uploaded all my music to Google I haven't touched my old 60GB ipod. I keep what I listen to most often on the N4 then stream the rest. The N4 works nicely with Straight Talk, but they only use T-Mobile now. I managed to get an AT&T sim before they ran out of stock, but I haven't been able find any more. T-Mobile sucks where I live, being 2G where they do have coverage and a couple towns having 3G, so that wasn't an option for me. Also, the N4's radio got updated so you can't get LTE on T-Mobile, though that can be fixed if you root the phone.

If you do opt for the N4, I would highly suggest rooting it. It's simple to do and there are some great roms, Paranoid Android being my favorite.

The XDA thread for the N4 version is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2020336

They also post news on PA's G+ here:
https://plus.google.com/107979589566958860409/posts

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would definitely suggest the 16GB N4 over the 8GB. Ever since I uploaded all my music to Google I haven't touched my old 60GB ipod. I keep what I listen to most often on the N4 then stream the rest. The N4 works nicely with Straight Talk, but they only use T-Mobile now. I managed to get an AT&T sim before they ran out of stock, but I haven't been able find any more. T-Mobile sucks where I live, being 2G where they do have coverage and a couple towns having 3G, so that wasn't an option for me. Also, the N4's radio got updated so you can't get LTE on T-Mobile, though that can be fixed if you root the phone.

If you do opt for the N4, I would highly suggest rooting it. It's simple to do and there are some great roms, Paranoid Android being my favorite.

The XDA thread for the N4 version is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2020336

They also post news on PA's G+ here:
https://plus.google.com/107979589566958860409/posts
So you can't use ATT on it anymore or they just stopped selling the sim cards?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
They just stopped selling AT&T sims, but if you can find one you can still use it. I bought one before Walmart ran out of stock a few months ago. It looks like Net10 still sells AT&T sims, and as they're run by TracFone I imagine they shouldn't be much different than Straight Talk.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
I got the HTC One a few weeks ago and everything seemed to be working better than expected, but I just started to stream movies thru Netflix and noticed a few dead pixels when the video went darker. I downloaded a dead pixel finding app and found 8 dead, few in the center and several around the edge. My carrier is Sprint and since I have owned the phone for 17 they are fighting me on getting a replacement, telling me 14 days was the cut off. I also called HTC about getting it replaced and they told me I would need to send the phone in, which would take weeks. Still fighting with Sprint, hoping they will see the light and replace it for a 10 year loyal customer
smile.png
. Anyways, make sure to look closely because they are very hard to see in well lit areas, but eye sores when in dark spaces.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So on my S3 I now have this little tab that appeared. I thought it was a widget at first. When you click on it a tab pulls out and there are apps and stuff in it for "quick access"

How the hell do I get rid of this annoying piece of crap?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sounds a bit like the Multiview tab on that Galaxy Note II. I think you can disable it in settings if that is it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So on my S3 I now have this little tab that appeared. I thought it was a widget at first. When you click on it a tab pulls out and there are apps and stuff in it for "quick access"

How the hell do I get rid of this annoying piece of crap?
Multi view is awesome. Long press back to get rid of it. AT least on the note 2 that is how it works.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone else have trouble with the charging plug on their Galaxy Nexus? I'm actually on my second one now and both of them started getting nearly impossible to keep the charging cable plugged in to after 6-8 months. I thought maybe it was the cheap Monoprice cables I used on the first phone but this time I have used only cables that came with the phone and half the time I wake up to a dead phone and I can't drive with the thing plugged in for more than 10 minutes before the plug vibrates out. It's annoying the hell out of me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Picked up a Galaxy S4 today, really liking it so far. Played around with it, and the HTC One in my local Sprint store for quite a while, and while the HTC One felt nicer to hold with it's metal build, the Galaxy S4 just seemed like a significantly larger screen so I went with it. Not to mention I like the ability to pull the battery out for a hard reset if I jack something up while messing around with custom ROMs. That being said, the S4 is probably as big of a screen as I can comfortably use with one hand, my thumb *barely* reaches to the far corners of the screen when I hold it, there's no way someone with an average sized hand or a female could reach all areas of the screen with 1 hand.

The sales rep in the Sprint store said he felt that the HTC One had slightly better battery life, I'll have to report back on how the S4 does after a couple days of normal usage.

After using both side by side, the S4 had a noticeably brighter/higher contrast screen, it seemed a little easier to view in bright sunlight situations(used both near a sunny window in direct sunlight), makes me wonder if that might be the main difference in battery life, I'm sure a brighter screen sucks a little more juice on average. In normal indoor situations, the S4 at roughly 50% brightness seems as bright as my S2 used to be at 100%.

If nothing else, the phone is damn quick to load apps, huge upgrade over the S4. Games that used to take 10-15 seconds to load on my S2 are now more like 4-5 seconds tops.