Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
There are too many variables that go in to determining signal strength. Finding someone in your area on the same carrier with the phone you're looking for is generally the only way to be sure and that can be difficult.

If you're looking for recommendations though, one of the most important things we'd need would be your budget and carrier.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
AT&T and I would like to stay below $300, however I am willing to go higher if it can be justified.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Off the top of my head, the Moto G5 plus. 32 GB ($210) and 64 GB ($260) versions, close to stock android. Can be gotten cheaper from amazon if you don't mind lock screen amazon ads.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
New white nav bar for chrome on Android sucks. Do not like at all

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Samsung’s new camera tech has big Galaxy S9 implications

One of the latest additions to the company’s range is the ISOCELL Slim 2X7. That made its public debut at CES 2018 earlier this month, and packs a full 24-megapixels into a smartphone-scaled sensor. To do that, Samsung had to figure out how to implement what are the industry’s smallest pixels, each just 0.9um.

While in bright light the ISOCELL sensor may be able to take advantage of each pixel, in low-light situations they’ll struggle to gain sufficient light to pick out detail. Samsung’s answer there is Tetracell, which effectively merges the data from four neighboring pixels so as to work as one, larger pixel.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
New white nav bar for chrome on Android sucks. Do not like at all
Yeah, WTF is up with that shit? It really irritates me when I visit dark sites like this from my phone. Looks fucking awful.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Steven Soderbergh shot his latest movie entirely on the iPhone, calls it a 'gamechanger'

In fact, the director was so impressed by the iPhone's movie capabilities and the recorded levels of detail, that he is likely to also use the Apple smartphone for future projects. “People forget, this is a 4k capture. I’ve seen it 40 feet tall. It looks like velvet," he told IndieWire. "This is a gamechanger to me.”

We don't know which exact iPhone model(s) Soderbergh used in the production of the movie, but it's fair to speculate that the latest iPhone X/iPhone 8 generation was deployed in combination with all sorts of professional lighting, audio and stabilization equipment.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So wtf did SwiftKey do? Auto correct is jacked and people in reviews are reporting dictionaries being lost?

Even as I typed this, tapping the correct word I would want wouldn't even correct it. Something is jacked up.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think it is Swiftkey as it is happening with the Google keyboard for me as well

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Haven't noticed any problem with Swiftkey on my phone so it's either some random issue or something else.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even later in the day after I had posted that it seemed to fix itself. That was weird. Did the link to the mothership go down or something? that's all I can think of, but the shit works flawless even when I don't have service, so I don't know.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure a few people here have bought from OnePlus. Have you had to deal with your credit card companies auto rejecting because the origin(Hong Kong) of the transaction? By the time I'm on the phone with the credit card company, it's too late to tell them the transaction is ok because OnePlus has already given up.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure a few people here have bought from OnePlus. Have you had to deal with your credit card companies auto rejecting because the origin(Hong Kong) of the transaction? By the time I'm on the phone with the credit card company, it's too late to tell them the transaction is ok because OnePlus has already given up.

I always call my CC company before the purchase to let them know so it gets approved. Never had an issue since I started that practice with buying overseas or large uncharacteristic purchases.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Bought my phone with my Chase card and no issues.

As an aside, I think they take Paypal too. So you could try that. I do know that they had issues with CC numbers being stolen from their website, so maybe the card issuers are just being more careful with them right now.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hovering over getting the Galaxy Note 8; it's on sale now at Verizon for $760. Pixel 2 is $80 cheaper, but doesn't have a headphone jack. S8 fits better in the hand but more expensive.. wait hmm. that's the S8 Plus. Reguar is $756 bogo...

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ya'll ever bogo and bank the extra one, so in two years when you've worn out the one, you pull out the other? Or is that a farsical notion, because by that time, you'd be using old technology and ready for a change.
bogo shoes (same model) didn't work for me...obv. different product ..