Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My LG G4 just shat itself and the screen no longer works. What's the go-to budget phone these days?

Depends on your budget. If you're talking about the $200ish range, the Moto G series is solid. If you can spend more the Pixel 3a is damn good for it's price, but it starts at $399.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My LG G4 just shat itself and the screen no longer works. What's the go-to budget phone these days?
Been using Moto G7 for 2 months now. Zero complaints.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
After a few days with the Pixel 3 I like it a lot. Only downside so far is that the battery life is a pretty significant step down from my Galaxy S8. If I need it to go past about 7 PM I'm going to need to put it on a charger some time during the day. Not a deal breaker, but a little disappointing.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone know of a possible way I might recover stuff from my phone? It turns on and functions, and I can tell the touchscreen is registering my touches, but the screen can't display anything so it's not like I can accept USB access to my PC or anything like that without blind luck

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone know of a possible way I might recover stuff from my phone? It turns on and functions, and I can tell the touchscreen is registering my touches, but the screen can't display anything so it's not like I can accept USB access to my PC or anything like that without blind luck

Unless you had USB debugging already enabled I don't think so. If you did, then I'm pretty sure there's an ADB command to copy all the data on the phone to your computer.

If you had Google's backup enabled, a good chunk of the data should be able to be restored from that when you sign in to your new phone. It's not a complete backup of everything, but it's better than nothing.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Unless you had USB debugging already enabled I don't think so. If you did, then I'm pretty sure there's an ADB command to copy all the data on the phone to your computer.

If you had Google's backup enabled, a good chunk of the data should be able to be restored from that when you sign in to your new phone. It's not a complete backup of everything, but it's better than nothing.

I managed to unlock the phone after repeated attempts and was able to allow USB access. Only thing I have left to figure out is if it's possible to transfer the google authenticator app's data from the old phone as I don't think it backs up to the cloud. Any idea if this is possible?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I managed to unlock the phone after repeated attempts and was able to allow USB access. Only thing I have left to figure out is if it's possible to transfer the google authenticator app's data from the old phone as I don't think it backs up to the cloud. Any idea if this is possible?

A quick google says that when you set up google authenticator, it created a backup code. Do you have that?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
A quick google says that when you set up google authenticator, it created a backup code. Do you have that?

I don't recall that, and the only option a new install of it gives me is to set up a new authenticator, with no mention of restoring. I'll have to dig into this I guess

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So whats with this 5g shit, how far away is that? Both my wife and I are due for an upgrade soon, but if 5g is just around the corner, we dont wanna be fucked with a 4G only phone for the next 2 yrs.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
All in all, this hasn't been too big a loss when it comes to the phone shitting itself. I had another LG G4 laying around that had a shattered screen, so I was able to tear the two apart and put the good screen on that one. Most of my stuff was on an SD card or backed up to the cloud, and I'm really only losing some app settings. The two games I had setup to use the google authenticator weren't hard to disconnect from it.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So whats with this 5g shit, how far away is that? Both my wife and I are due for an upgrade soon, but if 5g is just around the corner, we dont wanna be fucked with a 4G only phone for the next 2 yrs.

Unless you're in a city where they're rolling it out very soon, it will be years before it's widespread. 5G has a much shorter range than 4G, so they need a lot more cells for the same coverage.

Right now 5G is just marketing to get people to spend money.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, 5g will likely never be that common outside of dense urban areas. I don't think anyone needs to worry about it for at least a couple of years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
ok cool
thanks for replies, wasnt sure to look out for a 5g one or just stick to a cheaper 4g older model samsung like we always do.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finally figured out a reason to use my S-pen on my Note 9! My kids love coloring using it. They constantly want my phone now to color! 😎!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Android Auto update is being rolled out. If you impatient like me the .apk is available around the web.

It's pretty sweet so far.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Finally figured out a reason to use my S-pen on my Note 9! My kids love coloring using it. They constantly want my phone now to color! 😎!

Screenshot_20190730-170732_Chrome.jpg

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
just lost my iphone 7+, anyone know of any good deals going right now? the service was shut off because of the provider i had was only available in a few states and not where im currently living at in CT, i got verizon / tmobile / metro / etc all around me.

does not matter if its an android or iphone