Smartphones

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
This thing is AWESOME. Speaker is loud but a bit tinny. (maybe that could be EQ'ed?)

http://i.imgur.com/s0FJ1zu.jpg

Took a quick panoramic. Fun stuff. Phone is fast as shit. Wish I had a SIM. Not gonna cut my Blackberry as I'm still going to use it as a backup phone and the AT&T plan is dead anyways.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You might need your AT&T account to be active if you want to port the phone number over from it fyi.

Northerner

N00b
Grrr.

Not sure why I care really but dammit... I ordered (from Play) and they route the order to Ontario (fine, fine, one central point for Canada I *kinda* understand) and then they do their thing for a few days and now it is finally shipped. Shipped from fucking Louisville, KY though?

It'll still be here soon enough of course but the process seems Byzantine to me.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Louisville is a huge hub for shipping things from the states through. It's UPS's international hub for eastern United States. More than likely the Ontario stocks were depleted quicker than the site had been able to process and so Google had to ship from the US.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
My Nexus 5 just arrived and I have to say... I approve! KitKat is going to take a little getting used to. One particular dislike is that I can't add a homescreen to the left of the main screen -- that's reserved for Google Now. Before this I had Gmail and a few apps on the main screen, more apps on the screen to the right, and music on the screen to the left. Allowed me to get to everything with one swipe. Music has now been banished to two screens to the right...

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Google will not fucking take my order out of pending, bunch of cunts. The charge has been on my CC since friday, but no goddamn changes at all on their end -_-

opiate82

Bronze Squire
When I ordered my N4 from Google Play they specifically said they wouldn't charge my CC until my order had shipped. Might want to give CS a call...

correct me if im wrong but i can just take my simcard from my galaxy s4 and slip it in and im good to go right?
A quick Google says the S4 has a micro SIM. Assuming that is true, then yes, it's plug and play. Another possible step is to register your IMEI number with your carrier, however, I tried with T Mobile yesterday and their support guy said it would automatically be added in a week of use. Not sure if that's actually true, but I do seem to be getting full LTE service.

This phone is awesome, by the way. The screen is pretty much perfect, it's extremely responsive, and I haven't really run into any glitchiness. My only complaint is it seems to be designed for a case. I currently am caseless, and the protruding camera in back and some of the edges area a little bit sharp - not slice yourself open sharp, just not a nice filleted edge. I also hate they put a giant Nexus in the middle of the cover, I was hoping to be able to use that as a screen protector. After about 10 minutes of use I was on amazon ordering a case.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thought my order was borked somehow as it was sitting in pending. I ended up calling Google and talking to a rep yesterday. They had to escalate which would take 24 - 48 hours. As it turns out, it must have been a technical glitch. Got an update later than night giving me full status and tracking information. Just checked and my phone is waiting at my house.

This is going to be a good switch. I appreciate my HTC One (the old thin one, not the new one) for it's size but it has been performing terribly lately.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
On the fence about what new phone to get. As I've recently returned from being overseas for a while I've been using a prepaid cheap-o phone for the past few months and finally need to buy something decent. I was looking at the HTC One and Galaxy S4 for a while, then turned my eye on the LG Optimus F3 and F6. And as the guy was explaining to me how the quad-core processor and resolution on the HTC One was so much better, it made me think a bit about current smartphones.

What I don't understand is how people are crazy about needing to have the best and greatest phone available, yet are more than fine with using a cheap to mid-range laptop for 4+ years until it breaks. As far as phones go, I think advertising agencies have done an amazing job getting people to think theyneedto have the latest and greatest features even though they don't really want them. A lot of people don't realize that phones that are technically less capable at half the price can still provide the same level of satisfaction. It's why your average person would rather have a $600 laptop rather than a $1000+ Alienware.

My experience (negative or positive) with phones is mostly from a software point of view. Normally I think I would just go with the highest quality one available, but having used both mid-range and high-end smartphones over the past several years, I'm starting to think less of the most expensive ones.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What I don't understand is how people are crazy about needing to have the best and greatest phone available, yet are more than fine with using a cheap to mid-range laptop for 4+ years until it breaks.
Give it another year or so. Phone hardware is starting to eclipse a what's needed for a fluid experience on everything but gaming(i.e. 99% of smartphone users). Up until maybe even this cycle(snapdragon 800), newer phone actually meant a better experience. I'm sure Android will find a way to hog more resources and prove me wrong though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's really more to do with cell companies subsidizing phones than anything. All your average mouth-breathing consumer sees is that the latest and greatest phone is $200 with a new contract, as opposed to last years model which is still $99 or $150. They'll happily shell out the extra 50-100, not even taking into any consideration the actual cost of that 2 year contract. It's all about being cheap up front, and damn the long-term expense.

If people were legitimately paying full price for phones, generally $600-$700 for a new top-end phone when they come out, Google would be absolutely raping the marketplace with their Nexus line of phones at half price for same(if not better) tech.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's the problem. You pay whether you get a new phone or not, so even though you're getting buttfucked for your phone they are going to buttfuck you anyway so you might as well get a phone. The whole $700 price tag is nonsense as well. If they can make a 7" tablet for $129 there's no possible reason that a phone should cost 5 times that much.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Honestly phones have been more than fast enough for a while, unless you happen to be one of those tards who try and run 50 different apps at once while having your browser open with 5 different tabs full of flash going on. Ive had a S2 for two years now and since Im not a "power user" it works just fine still.