Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That's like my wife's kindle that she really wanted so badly and has never even turned on. It held a charge for like 3 months, it's amazing.
The kindle paperwhite I have is an amazing piece of tech. I love that thing. I wish I was more a reader so I could use it more.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well screw me. I went ahead and got an Iphone 5s mainly based on the size. Next fucking day work gives me a fucking windows phone.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So on Verizon, I have a iPhone 5s, and was looking to sell it to fund the purchase of a new 6+. Never sold a cell phone before, and being on Verizon, I've never had to deal with a sim card.

Do I need to take the SIM card out, before I sell it? Assuming the new person will have to get a new SIM? Or does that not matter on Verizon? It's jail broken, but will probably just reset to factory defaults before I cell it.

Anything else to watch out for? other than shady dudes on Craigslist. lol

Edit: Also, will probably lose my unlimited data in this process. Not sure how I kept it when I upgraded to the iphone 5s through Best Buy. My only guess is that the transfer of an upgrade from another line did something? Going to google stuff, and see if there is anyway at all to maintain unlimited, but I doubt it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So on Verizon, I have a iPhone 5s, and was looking to sell it to fund the purchase of a new 6+. Never sold a cell phone before, and being on Verizon, I've never had to deal with a sim card.

Do I need to take the SIM card out, before I sell it? Assuming the new person will have to get a new SIM? Or does that not matter on Verizon? It's jail broken, but will probably just reset to factory defaults before I cell it.

Edit: Also, will probably lose my unlimited data in this process. Not sure how I kept it when I upgraded to the iphone 5s through Best Buy. My only guess is that the transfer of an upgrade from another line did something? Going to google stuff, and see if there is anyway at all to maintain unlimited, but I doubt it.
Does it work that you can create a dumb phone line on your account, buy the new phone with that line and just activate it on your other number? I think you still need to carry that dumb line, but it's like $10/mo

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had the Moto X for a few days now. Upgraded to Lollipop and really enjoying it.

It's a little creepy at first but I like the attentive display where you look at the phone and it turns the lock screen on. Loving the freedom Android offers over iOS that's for sure - plus the phone is really quick and no issues with any bad hangs or anything (some users reporting issues with Lollipop).

I've only got a few apps on there, I feel like I need to find some must-have ones but all the lists are garbage apps. The only one worthwhile was changing the camera software from the stock app to Google camera.

Also I was on 3G before and now finally on 4G LTE.. it is great.

Vitality

HUSTLE

Simcard contains all your contacts. Remove it.

Keeping an unlimited plan when switching phones is a thing. Just ask the verizon worker to transfer the data on your sim card over because you purchased a new phone.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Simcard contains all your contacts. Remove it.

Keeping an unlimited plan when switching phones is a thing. Just ask the verizon worker to transfer the data on your sim card over because you purchased a new phone.
All my contacts are synced with iCloud, so I don't think that would be a problem to pull those down any new phone. Looks like there are some pretty sure fire ways to keep my unlimited data, so should work out pretty easy.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You likely have unlimited voice minutes so forward it at the carrier level.

how to forward your cell phone - Google Search
I'll look into it. I NEVER use advanced or even standard features on a phone. They have it tied in out Outlook and the stuff that goes with it and it ties in with our 2 offices in CA and 2 more in MS.

I have unlimited on my personal phone and work phone etc...On my personal phone I have 1GB of data and have never hit it but it would be easy to upgrade. I get 10mb at work.

Oddly enough the 2 offices in MS have fiber internet in the middle of nowhere and is actually faster than ours near Austin and the ones in CA.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is kinda a tablet/phone question, but I figure most people read both threads. Has anyone used a wireless charger? Any drawbacks or brands to avoid. It seems heavy use is a way to guarantee the microusb port failing after a year or two. I don't use it that much, but my wife does. I'd rather get her a charger that works for both her phone and tablet and would be relatively future proof, does such a thing exist? Or if she has a Samsung tablet and Nexus phone, gotta have two different chargers?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'd be interested to know as well. Back a couple / few years ago I modded my phone to be wirelessly charged using some copper tape and one of the old Peble chargers. But shortly after upgraded to a new phone and never did it. Amazon seems to have a large-ish selection of replacement backs and pieces to convert modern phones to wireless. Mostly I want it for my car. Would love to have a Qi mat in my arm rest / change area so that I can just throw my phone on there while driving and have it charge w/o plugging it in.