Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There are a couple of articles talking about it being a scam, but the argument seems to be "we don't know how it works and it has ties to Russia so it is a scam". When it gets released in June, if it gets released, I am assuming we will get some more info.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The opening segment of last weekends TWiT was all about smartwatch/fitness trackers and one of the guests highly recommended the Basis (Basis health and heart rate monitor for wellness and fitness). Looks pretty good. I'm considering something like this too but a pedometer is all but worthless to me. Would much rather have (strapless) heart rate monitoring and a couple other features.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
This seems like an area that waiting a few months may be in your best interest. Supposedly this is going to be Apple's next big push, and whether you like them or not it's worth seeing what they put out (and how other companies respond).

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For me its not an option to consider Apple:
A) Android user, and very antiapple.
B) The mockups made based on Apple's own descriptions look horrendous for a man to wear, they might be passable forsome women though - the mockups end up looking like loud plastic bracelets.

Unlike Android Wear, Apple's plans make no sense to me. (and estimates on Apple wear includes at least one model FAR more expensive than the phone or requires... $10k has been bandied about...)

skrala

You missed my point a bit. Like them or not there's no denying what they do has an effect on the mobile space. If they put out something that's great it will force the Android devices to match it, which is good for you.

Vaclav

$10k devices that look like watches and $1k ones that look like dollar store bracelets for women.... Right now it's like saying XBox One is influencing PS4 into a better product.

Already the Android Wear feature set is things that the Apple Wear docs are playing catchup with. And AW is going to be on the market in at least 6 variants this year....

skrala

Fair enough, not going to argue when it's something I could not care less about. Mobile fanboys on either side crack me up.

It was advice to wait as there's going to be a lot more competition in that space soon, that's all I was getting at.

Vaclav

Not fanboying. I can see the benefit of iPhone competing (well , competing against, they're flagging a bit this gen) but a competing product at 10-100 times the cost isn't of any benefit to the consumer for likely a decade.

What you're referring to is accurate when they're at a similar price point. ButMercedes doesn't influence change to Ford in any reasonable timeframe because they're targeted completely differently.

If they announce a model that's costed less than the phone it accessorizes to its relevant, until then it's going to be a tiny niche market.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
OP, did you buy thefitbit flexyet? honestly what you want to do, you're fucking around too much.

i thought the main point was to "get something" so you and your wife can do shit together.

and trust me, the biggest point will be battery life, you may "think" you are good at being diligent charging your shit, it's different when you're talking about wearable electronics.

this is why only e-ink devices are good and all these shitty ass iphone/android smartwatches with full color lcd screens will just suck.

Vaclav

Plan is a June purchase, so no - but its looking like a Fitbit Flex + Smartwatch will likely be the ideal solution, unless the details on the Android Wear stuff makes it redundant.

Wife goes in for surgery Monday, will want it once she's allowed to exercise afterwards. Cervical fusion, thinking 4-6 weeks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just get one for yourself first, so you can be the first guinea pig and say that "i've been doing this and it's cool" and buy her fitbit present. hell remember this fitbit flex gives you two bands a med (for a girl really) and a large in each box, so you can get a black fitbit and a idk, red one. if she hates the red band, you have an extra med band in the black one and not use the blue ones. i did that when the flex first came out, they were totally sold out everywhere amazon(had to wait 5weeks direct), had to stalk bestbuy on when they get their weekly shipments and put one on hold for me, still ended up being the blue one (black was the most bought).

this way you both will be already into it.

hell if you use smartphones, you might be since likes it's kinda cool to see instant updates from the flex to your smartphone.

Vaclav

Yea we smartphone. But I'm a lazy SOB exercise wise right now (maintaining a good weight at 125-130 - I'm only 5'2" - entirely due to metabolism) would be embarrassing until we're doing it together, heh.

It's going to be the start of a complete life change for both of us.

(she's 200ish and same height for comparison - although with her breasts and hips - I can't see her under 150 without looking gaunt.)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not to be rude, but real, thats the whole point of these pedometers, to shame u into seeing you only walked 789 steps in one day? Then when u look at a whole week and it doesnt even add up to the 10000 steps that normal healthy ppl should be taking in one day, you just end up walking for 30mins around the block. once you're properly ashamed for a week, then you can just get that 1 week of shame over with and start walking and then a month later tell your wife how it feels then start walking with her. fuck, do you have parks where you're at? it's getting to "walking" temp now, i bet there are tons of trails where you live, and there are tons of fitbit users on those trails as well. seriously, at least register at fitbit dot com, it's free and you can see all the ppl in your area if you don't have fitbit RL friends.

Vaclav

The point is we're changing lifestyle, ourplan is to start with 1-2 miles a day.

If we got one now it would be only a few thousand steps. We're not planning to stay this way. (and we do have 3 Fitbit using family and friends)

Midlife crisis stuff, ignored our health too long.

And parks and mall walks are part of our planned areas on most days. Hate the neighborhood, aesthetically random suburbia is dull.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Force has been recalled, so you may have trouble finding them. There were some problems with people breaking out in rashes. I had one, and while it was nice, I found the vibration to be lackluster (the alarm seldomly vibrated for more than 1 second) on multiple Forces. When they gave me the opportunity to send mine back for a full refund, I jumped all over it.

I'll be waiting for Android Wear.

Vaclav

AW got a confirmation of anything morethan an accelerometer (i.e. step count) for AW yet on the fitness side? (i.e. heart rate for calorie burn)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's really up to the manufacturers what sensors they put in. I have no doubt that someone will do that and AW will be capable of communicating with said sensors though.

Vaclav

It's really up to the manufacturers what sensors they put in. I have no doubt that someone will do that and AW will be capable of communicating with said sensors though.
Nod, I'm really AW biased (in fact, regardless of if I get a Fitbit on top of AW I'll be getting at least one for myself - likely one for the wife and I) - but having one device versus two worn full time is definitely a plus for me, I'd absolutely pay +$100-$200 for an AW that does include all the Fitbit style tracking if there's going to be one in the early launch ones. [Or if the details on the HTC AW come out and it includes it, I might be willing to wait for Winter - but that's because I've got an HTC love affair now, and want to fund them as much as possible - they deserve more $$ than Samsung and I need to do my part to get them there whenever they make sense for me]

So minus the rambling - if anyone sees word that an AW is including deep fitness tracking please add it to the thread, I'm trying to keep up, but that's a huge point I'm hoping to pop up that I've not seen yet. [That no doubt will be in by 2016, but I'm not waiting that long on this purchase, even for HTC]

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
I'm 90% sure I'll be getting a Moto360 when it comes out. Has Google established that watches with their OS have to be compatible across the board? My main sticking point right now is I'll probably be upgrading my LG G2 to the G3, and want to make sure the 360 works with it.

My friend has a Samsung Gear 2, or whatever it's called, and I do appreciate the functionality of not having to pull out my phone for easy stuff like reading a text message. But I think it's ugly as sin.

The 360 is so pretty.

Vaclav

AW should be with Android 4.5 from what I've gathered.

Google Now being accessible full time is supposed to be a 4.5 feature and fulltime Google Now seems like a must for AW.

I'd imagine the G2 will get 4.5, how quickly once it's done is the question mark though. With the M8 I'm confident I'll get 4.5 quick personally though.