Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
They both look nice. I'm really digging 360 though. Guess I'll need to ditch my iPhone in the future. I do miss swype though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I heard $350 I kind of stopped thinking about getting one. At $250 though, it will be very tempting.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do keep in mind $250 is based on a prize value ESTIMATE though. Don't think accuracy is mandatory.

Also on Kairos, its $500 preordered, $1100 retail I think?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
For fitness trackers, I really like what I've read aboutAmiigo | Explore

Pre-ordered it with expected delivery in August. They've apparently had pretty low yield, which explains why everything is backlogged. Hopefully the August estimate was conservative...

Also: the moto 360 looks very cool and I'll probably buy it. But it seems that it wouldn't replace a fitness tracker. Much of what Amiigo does, for example, works only because it has two sensors: one around your wrist and one on your foot. I don't see how a smartwatch could replicate that. Might not matter for some, but I really care about it recognizing my biking...

Vaclav

Nice find Soriak, that does look like an insanely nice fitness tracker - and yea, don't think anything else even other fitness trackers are doing half of what it claims to do.

Price tag at $180 (x2 in my case since the wife and I will use) is steep compared to most of the competition though, hopefully it's up to snuff with the claims, definitely let me know. May just use basic accelerometer stuff with step counting on the phone until August maybe with how that looks. (Gonna be July before we can start a real exercise program from the last update from the surgeon)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The early backers of the amiigo indiegogo campaign got their devices and started a facebook user group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/645343175541140/

I just saw this and looked at some recent posts. It looks like there are still some updates to the app, but issues appear to get fixed quickly. Also, iOS is clearly more of a beta than the Android version, which may be a concern for some. I'd expect them to work out most of the bugs by August, though.

Price is steeper than some of the other wristbands, but since I'm interested in tracking biking (i.e. my commute to work), there just isn't an alternative. I guess I could just use a smartphone app, but where's the fun in that.
wink.png

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It seems Motorola refuted the $250 price of the 360. I'm guessing that it'll be $299, which puts it in line with the Samsung Gear 2.0. I'd definitely pick one up for that price once the first round go out and reviews land. I'm guessing I'll love one after feeling let down by the Fitbit Force.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the samsung gear2 gets at best 1 day and 1/2 for battery life, that's horrible!, how about the rest of these new smart watches? look i'm not on the pebble train just b/c i'm a user, but b/c i use it everyday is why i'm commenting.

if i had to "remember" to recharge my watch every night, it would just have sporadic days of un-use b/c of being recharged for the day, then, at this point it becomes not used.

the fitbit is the same deal. heck both of them are great in warning you. i'll get a tiny pebble buzz notification 20% left, and that's good for 2 days still. my fitbit will send a notification to my phone 20% left, and thats also another two days.

usually i recharge both at the same time, and i can eek out a 15minute quick charge which would put in about 30 to 40% battery recharge if needed.

i'm just saying, i do not see it being practical as a "wearable" to not be worn b/c you have to recharge it daily.

sure i may be in the minority but i have both pebble/fitbit on me 23.5/7

just keep battery life in mind when looking at the new smartwatches (which all seem to use oled and do a lot of battery draining stuff)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Longer battery life is always nice, but I wouldn't be concerned about charging my watch over night next to my cell phone. I don't think I'd wear the watch in bed (unlike a fitness/sleep tracker).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The pebble is hard to beat for battery because of the e-ink screen. Anything with an LCD or AMOLED screen is going to take a big hit on battery life. As long as it's 20+ hours though it's good for me. As Soriak said, it's not that big a deal to just plug it in next to your phone every night.

Vaclav

Battery life on the 360 and LG G Watch have been quoted at 3 days IIRC.

Siliconemelons

Vaclav

I posted about it last page, since then a couple places like Verge have posted articles doubting it's legitimacy though. But Kairos does look potentially neat.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I should get a free Kairos watch because they ripped off my name (read it backward). Yes, I know that's not where they got it from...

Crone

Vaclav, what did you end up getting? has it worked out pretty well? This may have been posted in the other thread that was started, someone should merge those threads.