Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
AW should be with Android 4.5 from what I've gathered.

Google Now being accessible full time is supposed to be a 4.5 feature and fulltime Google Now seems like a must for AW.

I'd imagine the G2 will get 4.5, how quickly once it's done is the question mark though. With the M8 I'm confident I'll get 4.5 quick personally though.
That doesn't really answer my question. Do we know that the LG and Moto watches will work with non-LG and Moto phones?

Samsung is setting the precedent that their Watches work with their Phones. What I'm asking is do we have anything that says the Moto360 will work with ANY current gen Android phone.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
AW specifications require general compatibility with Android devices with Bluetooth 4.0 and appropriate Android version.

Of which the latter I assume is 4.5 but not seen an absolute.

And 90% sure G2 has BT4, right?

However, for non-AW bonus features, it does seem phrased that bonus features for matching brands might exist.

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
The opening segment of last weekends TWiT was all about smartwatch/fitness trackers and one of the guests highly recommended the Basis (Basis health and heart rate monitor for wellness and fitness). Looks pretty good. I'm considering something like this too but a pedometer is all but worthless to me. Would much rather have (strapless) heart rate monitoring and a couple other features.
I purchased the Basis three days ago. Not at all what I expected. The sleep tracking has failed me the past two nights, stating that I only slept for 26 minutes. The steps seem accurate enough, but the HR monitor disappoints. It reads my resting heart rate at around 80-100. When I'm running, the readings stop at 135. My polar strap, during the same activity, puts me around 160-180. The data is consolidated neatly into their companion app, though. The problem being, the readings are inaccurate throughout the day which provides false calories burned, etc. I'm returning the watch soon, which is sad because I had high hopes for the metadata provided.

Crone

These fitness trackers look like they could for sure keep you motivated if you have that competitive spirit. The whole I don't want my steps to be less than last week, so you do what you can to at least get over the week before.

My problem is, and this was my problem with MyFitnessPal meal trackers, is that I don't weigh out my food, and I eat out quite a bit... probably 2 problems of my weight right there, but it bugs me I can't get exact.

I go out to a restaurant and order up a steak and meal with salad or whatever. I can guesstimate what everything was, and enter that into MyFitnessPal, but it's not 100% accurate, and that bugs me.

Same thing this would bug me, after reading the reviews is that most of the time it's not very accurate on your steps.
frown.png

Does that matter to you Vaclav, that it won't be that accurate?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
fitbit imo, seems accurate, i mean they account for dominant/non-dominant arm, basic eye level tests of just me getting the fuck up and walking seems to be accurate, i mean it's more accurate than the old school off-set lead weight bouncy counters, it's horribly un-accurate on a treadmill, but fuck who needs to walk on a treadmill?

Vaclav

Nah, laser fine accuracy isn't a big deal to me. And for home meals, I've got connections still with the grocery world to make sure my cuts are portioned precisely to my recipes without them throwing a fit.

Worrying about it as a macro thing not micro though.

Gonna have 2-3 months though anyhow now, apparently wife's recovery is twice what I expected for the wait.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I've been using this site

https://www.healthvault.com/us/en

to track fitness and health things. This is where I first learned about fitness trackers. I enter the info manually for now but things like lab results and info from my blood pressure monitor are automatically uploaded and the next bathroom scale I buy will be Healthvault compatible.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Gear 2 Neo raaaapes my phones battery, i have to charge my phone every 20 or so hours now in oppose to once every 2 or so days.
They really need to make stand alone smart watches heh

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
Gear 2 Neo raaaapes my phones battery, i have to charge my phone every 20 or so hours now in oppose to once every 2 or so days.
They really need to make stand alone smart watches heh
What phone are you using? The pebble drains around 5-8% more battery than normal on my Note 3.

Crone

Nah, laser fine accuracy isn't a big deal to me. And for home meals, I've got connections still with the grocery world to make sure my cuts are portioned precisely to my recipes without them throwing a fit.

Worrying about it as a macro thing not micro though.

Gonna have 2-3 months though anyhow now, apparently wife's recovery is twice what I expected for the wait.
If I ate 100% at home and at fast food places that have all of the nutrition information available, I'd probably be just fine. But that's not the case, and I refuse to bring a scale to a restaurant to weigh anything, or try and figure out how much Caesar salad I just ate.

Pedometer though, with overall better eating habits might work. Who knows. I look forward to hearing your experiences with it once you and the wife get into it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Bought a Fitbit One a couple weeks ago. I was happy with my first one (Fitbit Ultra) until it died a few years later. Any pedometer that can last a few years is pretty decent, IMO.

Too bad the Pebble pedometer app that I found is so horrible. I'd have just used that. Not that it has any way of syncing with anything, mind you.

Siliconemelons

Siliconemelons

Wow that is insane... mmmm

the moto360 the face is fully digital right? I wonder if they would eventually (or can you?) change the clock face as that would be awesome.

Kairos looks amazing if its not overly thick, I do not care for thick watches... I don't have any super lux watches, I would love a rolex just to have one but meh. I have some ESQs etc.

Vaclav

Yes all G-watch items look like they're going to be full digital with downloadable faces and such for the immediate future.

Kairos and Martian to a lesser extent are standard watches that also do smart functions via overlay stuff. Which is cool in its own way. ($500 for Kairos was tempting me until the 360 leak - now to see what LGs price point is. And if HTC starts showing anything of theirs)

Siliconemelons

Yeah 250 is nuff of a diff for me to just go with the moto vs the kairos... but I like the idea of a real nice mechanical watch with the clear oled.