Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looking to pick up a new watch/fitness tracker. Had a Garmin Vivoactive HR which died in a pool over the weekend despite being water resistant. I was thinking about picking up a Galaxy Watch, but the rumor mill says the new model will come out in August. If the Galaxy Watch was going for a discount I'd consider it, but it's still going for the same price it went for when it was new, and they are saying the Galaxy Watch 2 will be the same price so I might as well wait. Any other options out there worth considering? Don't have an iPhone and zero interest in purchasing anything made by Apple.

Sounds like you fell victim to the same thing I did.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Okay so I've been big on the Garmin Forerunner since 2008 when it was a clunky piece of shit. But still amazing for the time.

I've progressed through a few other Garmins since then. My last good watch died in 2018. This was a forerunner smartwatch version. I ended up buying a Garmin Vivoactive 3 off of Amazon and that piece of shit broke in like 8 months. Recently I was looking for a new one. I found that that I fell victim to Amazon's faggotry and when I ordered the Garmin Vivoactive 3 I actually got some Chinese knockoff shit version as opposed to their official version because of Amazon's pooling strategy and lack of quality control on it.

That pisses me off.

So now I am going to only order things like this from REI or whatever.

howd you figure out it was fake?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
howd you figure out it was fake?

Found a forum post about the serial numbers. There is specifically a number sequence ending in 22 indicating production in ACAP for ACAP, and 52 for ROW.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
did you get a refund then?

I had it for like two years. They don't refund then. As in, it broke in 8 months and I shelved it and forgot about it. When I was looking for new ones this week. I found this issue.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had it for like two years. They don't refund then. As in, it broke in 8 months and I shelved it and forgot about it. When I was looking for new ones this week. I found this issue.
i've done a 1year refund, 2 years, idk

Oldbased

> Than U
I have the Fitbit Versa 2 and Samsung Galaxy. I like the Galaxy far more except the data in app is ass and they removed features as time went on instead of adding them. Like fuckboys once the Galaxy 2 came along there hasn't been a single update I don't think.
The Fitbit Versa 2 however has had endless updates which added very little and seemed to fix even less, and sometimes I can spend an hour trying to get it to sync to my phone for the data even when it is connected via bluetooth with a ACTIVE connection. Data history in app is fantastic though.
Considering all the $50 watches that do 90% of the same thing, I expect more for a watch that was $200 and only 9 months old.
Fitbit had the nerve last week to pester me in app, phone and in email to buy the new Fitbit Versa 3 or sense. I wrote a Karen letter saying bitch you said on your forums shit like heart rate alerts and shit was coming 9 months ago and you didn't add them, you can't even get your POS to sync most of the time and the last update bricked a ton of Fitbits, you want me to pay $300? Go fuck yourself mate.

The EKG shit on the new Sense looks good, but if history is any indicator, it won't work worth a shit, or will be like the SPo2 feature "added" to the 2 which only shows during sleep and only says high or low. Fucking cunts.
God, why won't BLM burn shitcompanies like that down.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ended up getting the Vivoactive 4 over the Forerunner 245 as the advanced running analytics aren't important to me.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I wish they made these with kinetic tech. So they don’t need charging all the time. I end up not using them for that reason.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking of getting one, never had one before.

1. Whats the absolute best right now?
2. Whats the best bang for the buck?
3. Whats the best one that looks like a normal watch?

I use an android

Last edited:

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I wonder if Apple watch is okay for an 8 yo. She wants a smart watch. Like, I donno v3 38mm.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I wonder if Apple watch is okay for an 8 yo. She wants a smart watch. Like, I donno v3 38mm.
v3 or se are basically the same,

i just upgraded my wife from v3 to v6, and that was for the extra blood ox and ekg monitoring, which i doubt you want for your 8yo

i wouldn't say its stupid... i saw a few teens use their watch to pay for stuff in korea, so...

---
also posting here to remind myself Nija Nija wants to see how i fair w/ the amazbit gtr2
160fd3ad20071be90aac7866a162429e.png

this also has the blood ox tracker (the gtr1 did not), so honestly i'm paying 40bucks more for that

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking of getting one, never had one before.

1. Whats the absolute best right now?
2. Whats the best bang for the buck?
3. Whats the best one that looks like a normal watch?

I use an android

Alright, this was a stupid question now that I went and looked at the options.

I didnt realize there were so many of these watches.

I guess what I'm looking for is a solid health tracking watch, mostly to monitor my typical daily health like making sure I get enough physical activity, walking steps and that my stress levels are decent. But also to keep track of data when I workout or play sports, I think that would be interesting too. Im hoping to use the watch to help develop better habits and keep a good idea of where I am health-wise now that Im getting older.

I like the features that I see in Lanx Lanx 's GTR2: stress monitoring, blood oxygen saturation, heart rate, sleep quality, etc. but I'm wondering if there's any other valuable data tracking that I might not know about?

Any thoughts? Does the GTR2 basically cover everything when it comes to health tracking or do some of the more specialized makers like Fitbit have even more data points to track?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alright, this was a stupid question now that I went and looked at the options.

I didnt realize there were so many of these watches.

I guess what I'm looking for is a solid health tracking watch, mostly to monitor my typical daily health like making sure I get enough physical activity, walking steps and that my stress levels are decent. But also to keep track of data when I workout or play sports, I think that would be interesting too. Im hoping to use the watch to help develop better habits and keep a good idea of where I am health-wise now that Im getting older.

I like the features that I see in Lanx Lanx 's GTR2: stress monitoring, blood oxygen saturation, heart rate, sleep quality, etc. but I'm wondering if there's any other valuable data tracking that I might not know about?

Any thoughts? Does the GTR2 basically cover everything when it comes to health tracking or do some of the more specialized makers like Fitbit have even more data points to track?
while i can't say anything about the gtr2 yet (i get it today), it has everything the apple6 has minus the ekg monitoring.

i believe in terms of monitoring options

apple6 would be A+
gtr2 would be A

but of course the ekg monitoring is in debate, and i just bought that for my wife (shes all apple) and she hasn't used it once.

but you have to REALLY be looking for a specific feature, like the series6 has a better sensor for cycling? idk wtf thats about

i can only compare these 2 cuz theyre the ones i have (the latest gen smartwatches), so i haven't looked at the versa2/3 from fitbit

the gtr2 does look pretty posh for a smartwatch tho, i'll have to see it in person.
(but remember since youre on droid you can't use applewatch)

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
while i can't say anything about the gtr2 yet (i get it today), it has everything the apple6 has minus the ekg monitoring.

i believe in terms of monitoring options

apple6 would be A+
gtr2 would be A

but of course the ekg monitoring is in debate, and i just bought that for my wife (shes all apple) and she hasn't used it once.

but you have to REALLY be looking for a specific feature, like the series6 has a better sensor for cycling? idk wtf thats about

i can only compare these 2 cuz theyre the ones i have (the latest gen smartwatches), so i haven't looked at the versa2/3 from fitbit

the gtr2 does look pretty posh for a smartwatch tho, i'll have to see it in person.
(but remember since youre on droid you can't use applewatch)

This is really helpful. EKG monitoring would be cool I guess but thats not a deal breaker for me.

I added the GTR2 to my Xmas gift list.

Let us know how it works out for you

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've got a Samsung smart watch that I never wear. Although I probably should, I don't track any of my health stats, especially since it's annoying for me to try and wear at night. Even got a metal band for it and downloaded different watch faces. After a couple months I just stopped wearing it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've got a Samsung smart watch that I never wear. Although I probably should, I don't track any of my health stats, especially since it's annoying for me to try and wear at night. Even got a metal band for it and downloaded different watch faces. After a couple months I just stopped wearing it.
did you get tired of trying to remember to charge it or it dies? and then you actually let it die, so youre like

eh wtf

thats why i wanted to make sure the battery on the gtr2 lasts 14days of use

i'm not saying i only want to charge it every 14 days, but i have the ability to just give it a quick charge every 4th or 6th day, instead of rushing to the nightstand to make sure it's got power after a full day so i can wear it at night.

btw, this gtr2 is amazing, the most amazing thing about it is voice commands...

like i can just look at the watch and say "open heart monitor" and it does it, or "start walking" and it automatically opens and starts the program.

if you've ever used a smartwatch, you know that you have to dedicated (if it has it) a button for a specific activity to "quick launch it" or a few swipes and clicks to get going.

what'll be even better (for me) in a few days it'll have alexa support, so i can do a quick talk to watch and open my garage door when i pull in.

i estimate that it uses 22% a day with basic activity and all the sensors turned on.(sleeping, heart, blood ox, etc)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
did you get tired of trying to remember to charge it or it dies? and then you actually let it die, so youre like

eh wtf

thats why i wanted to make sure the battery on the gtr2 lasts 14days of use

i'm not saying i only want to charge it every 14 days, but i have the ability to just give it a quick charge every 4th or 6th day, instead of rushing to the nightstand to make sure it's got power after a full day so i can wear it at night.

btw, this gtr2 is amazing, the most amazing thing about it is voice commands...

like i can just look at the watch and say "open heart monitor" and it does it, or "start walking" and it automatically opens and starts the program.

if you've ever used a smartwatch, you know that you have to dedicated (if it has it) a button for a specific activity to "quick launch it" or a few swipes and clicks to get going.

what'll be even better (for me) in a few days it'll have alexa support, so i can do a quick talk to watch and open my garage door when i pull in.

i estimate that it uses 22% a day with basic activity and all the sensors turned on.(sleeping, heart, blood ox, etc)
I'd never wear it at night so I never had an issue with charging. Mainly I just didn't find it useful to wear it every day. It looked good but I never checked it for anything. I'm no longer working in loud ass data centers so the extra text/call notification was no longer needed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd never wear it at night so I never had an issue with charging. Mainly I just didn't find it useful to wear it every day. It looked good but I never checked it for anything. I'm no longer working in loud ass data centers so the extra text/call notification was no longer needed.
yea i can't live w/o my watch buzzing for a notification. not that i obcess over txts, like homesecurity, doorbell, etc.