Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

GTR/S 2e version launched. No wifi, no music. But 24d juice. Will you upgrade?
i haven't had any connection or transfer issues with this watch, it's 100% connection fustration proof.

the previous one i did have it connect and reconnect often, i do not know if that is b/c of the wifi now, but i'd rather have the wifi over 24d juice, even tho i'm an advocate for long juice time.

in short, if it was no music and more battery, yes i would think about upgrading.

however sacrificng wifi connection? no

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
i haven't had any connection or transfer issues with this watch, it's 100% connection fustration proof.

the previous one i did have it connect and reconnect often, i do not know if that is b/c of the wifi now, but i'd rather have the wifi over 24d juice, even tho i'm an advocate for long juice time.

in short, if it was no music and more battery, yes i would think about upgrading.

however sacrificng wifi connection? no
GTR 2 LTE inc. Interesting.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
GTR 2 LTE inc. Interesting.
thats interesting looks like the 2e's will also have cheaper glass

honestly i don't even see the "3d" glass, do you? but i know i've banged it on a ton of shit and still pristine, cuz i'm old and clumsy now

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just ordered a Fitbit Charge 4. Mostly out of curiosity. Now that my company has us all in the office full time again I am working out regularly again. I am curious to see how much those workouts get the blood flowing, and how long the effects last.

Oldbased

> Than U
I own a fitbit versa2 and a samsung galaxy active 1 and a garmin vivactive 3.
The fitbit is still my primary even though I stopped paying/using premium a year ago.
I'm sure it was covered here but if it wasn't, earlier this year, Google which uses the WEAR OS for many off brands and Samsung partnered together. Google bought Fitbit as well. Fitbit had the best sensors overall of the 3, Google had the most open source and app supported OS and Samsung had the best health data tracking.
They combined all together to centralize all features and benefits into one OS coming with pieces of it already rolled out now.
For example my Versa now has better stress, temp, heart tracking thanks to the mix.
They did this to combat Apple which was doing it all on their own and made solid watches but require Iphone/pad to use.

Now of the Fitbits the Fitbit Sense is the best overall as far as tech/sensors goes but it plagued atm by software issues Fitbit doesn't seem interested in fixing. Probably due to the rollout of the Google/Fitbit/Samsung software coming this year.
The Versa 3 has less options than the Sense and no EKG and the Charge 4 is best if you just want a fitness tracker and not a super smartwatch.
Garmin Vivosmart 4 is a solid compared to charge 4 in many ways and includes some nice sensory options.
Galaxy watch 3 and Galaxy active 2 are a bit like above in that all 3 are roughly a year+ now which as far as tech goes is unexpected.

This gap has allowed many 3rd party brands to move in at more reasonable price points while having many of the more modern features.
I've been in the market for a new one as all 3 I own are coming up on 2 years old.
I'm guessing new models will be coming in the next 2-3 months, probably with the full rollout of the Google/Samsung alliance.

Just be careful when quick hunting specs as I noticed many reviews and spec sites have the features wrong for many of these watches, even after so much time and it is clear many review sites were PAID to favor one over the other.
I was eyeing a Bip U Pro from Amazfit recently. Seemed it may be a solid?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just be careful when quick hunting specs as I noticed many reviews and spec sites have the features wrong for many of these watches, even after so much time and it is clear many review sites were PAID to favor one over the other.
I was eyeing a Bip U Pro from Amazfit recently. Seemed it may be a solid?
amazfit is getting so crazy, they say their wireless earbuds can monitor heartrate cuz ears are super sensitive to blood pressure

i mean, i'm on board saying i like my amazfit gts2, best smartwatch i've had, i wear it 99% of the time WHEN I WANT IT, cuz i compare it to my wife who "sometimes" has her apple watch on, and thats cuz it fucking dies in less than 24 hours, even tho shes working from home lulz

Oldbased

> Than U
amazfit is getting so crazy, they say their wireless earbuds can monitor heartrate cuz ears are super sensitive to blood pressure

i mean, i'm on board saying i like my amazfit gts2, best smartwatch i've had, i wear it 99% of the time WHEN I WANT IT, cuz i compare it to my wife who "sometimes" has her apple watch on, and thats cuz it fucking dies in less than 24 hours, even tho shes working from home lulz
I always found it funny you can buy a sp02/Hr finger monitor for many many years now for $15 on Amazon, same as I see doctors use for sp02 and heart rate on record, but to get those features in a watch in 2021 is a $200 affair according to the better companies.

I honestly think the majority of the cost is software, processor and ram. As even the better ones nowadays have 1 temp laser, 2 heart lasers, 1 sp02 laser, 4 point contact( 2 on skin, 1 on each side of watch ) for EKG and 1-2 I haven't ID'd on like a Fitbit Sense, but a off brand company from China can duplicate the features and have a app for 1/4th the price. Clearly stolen tech. It must suck to have all your R&D stolen time and time again but keep your factories there cause cheeeeap.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

How is the MP3 playback/bluetooth on the gts2? I've been toying with the idea of long distance running again but don't want to carry my phone with me to listen to music while I do it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How is the MP3 playback/bluetooth on the gts2? I've been toying with the idea of long distance running again but don't want to carry my phone with me to listen to music while I do it.
i tried it once or twice, not mind blowing, but it's clear, sorta like hearing the music in a store

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
So I was talking watches to dude next door and he claims Amazfit is so close to Fitbit/Apple/Samsung because it had the backing of Amazon and the Chinese snatch and grab basically making it the same chips, sensors and such but at a much lower cost. Since it was "stolen" tech Amazon couldn't brand it Amazon Basics due to liability and most of the lower cost of the watch is in software/app.
I wonder how much of that is true and it doesn't really matter to me as that is about the case for everything these days in one way or another. Just found it interesting he put it like that.

Did some checking. Huami was founded in 2013 and makes biometrics/smart wear in China.
Fitbit was founded 2007 and first tracker came early 2014.
Hmmm :)

Still going to get a Amazfit Bip U Pro which is on sale atm for $60.
I can't for the life of me figure out why Fitbit put a o2 sensor on the Versa 2 yet you have to use a special face and it only works when sleeping while a $60 offering can tell it to you on demand. This is one reason why I am probably never going to buy another Fitbit. They promise shit and never deliver like the now 3 year promise of heart rate alerts if it passes a set rate. I mean how hard is that to code?

Last edited:

Jovec

?
Picked up the new Galaxy Watch 4 to try out smart watches. Maybe it's good compared to what else is out there, but this thing sucks so bad. In the drawer after 15 minutes.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My fitbit has been a good thing so far. I keep the GPS turned off, since that fucker burns battery life like crazy. I have been getting a week+ per recharge. It does track heartbeat. I knew I wasn't going to use it with the original strap, so I got a cloth elastic one that has been very comfortable. I wear it 24/7 except when showering.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Picked up the new Galaxy Watch 4 to try out smart watches. Maybe it's good compared to what else is out there, but this thing sucks so bad. In the drawer after 15 minutes.

What was the problem with it? I was considering picking 1 up now that it's using wear os (or whatever Google is branding it now)

Jovec

?
What was the problem with it? I was considering picking 1 up now that it's using wear os (or whatever Google is branding it now)

I expect most people will probably like the watch, so don't let my jaded opinion sway you too much.

On the hardware/physical side, I think in part was just that I haven't worn watches in so long that the thickness of it paired with the convex nature of the bottom (for the sensors to stay in contact with your skin) that I found it uncomfortable. I did order a protective case and I imagine that will add to the thickness a little too. Hopefully the stainless steel model holds up but there are reports of the non-classic aluminum model scratching fairly easily. The band also feels cheap and slippery, to the point where I am scared I will lose grip and drop the watch when I am putting it on. My wife noped out of getting one 10 seconds after trying mine due to the size, feel, and wrist location the watch needs to be positioned at for the sensors to work. I don't think the 40mm version (vs my 46mm) would have changed her mind.

Listed as 16GB of storage but less than 8GB is usable, just FYI. I do not expect to have much local media since I really won't be using the watch without my phone nearby, but for those that want to use the watch sans-phone 8GB it could be an issue.

The biggest issue for me was the software. As an example, the watch has the Play Store, one section within is titled "apps on your phone," which is apparently apps on your phone that have companion apps for the watch. One of mine is Google Clock, which I use for alarms and timers on my phone, so I install the phone app. It does not sync with the existing alarms and timers I have on the phone app - that's just basic app 101 stuff. It did install a handwashing timer app though... Just installed Google Notes which I use on my phone and it did sync my notes.

The UI also got me a couple of times setting up WiFi. I use a MAC whitelist on router, and the watch defaults to a random MAC. Change the setting, but I did not save the change because that option is off screen (I needed to scroll down more). Obviously there isn't much screen real-estate to work with, so there should be a stronger visual clue to continue scrolling (the scroll bar only shows when scrolling, it fades out otherwise, so it is easy to miss).

The watch UI does not allow you to uninstall or disable the majority of Samsung apps, but you cannot even hide them on the app screen, so I have icons for things like Bixby, Samsung Pay, 3 icons for the Samsung clock app (timer/alarm/stopwatch) if I use the Google Clock app instead, world time, Samsung text messages (I use Google messages), cluttering up the app screen. I get vendor defaults and promotion but at least allow me to hide the app icons.

Samsung health (watch app - I never installed the phone app since it needs a Samsung account or a linked Google account) wants me to track my period - even if they don't want to ask about gender at least give me the option to disable it - more app 101 stuff. The special Watch Classic watch face it came with is actually fairly nice looking, but the Text complication is also braindead - It shows a word of text on the face while also putting the first letter in calligraphy on the face. So I can have Jovec on the face with a fancy J but I cannot just have Jovec or the fancy J by itself. It seems like I am picking at nits but having to have the Jovec to get the J (you get the idea) is just bad design - allow me to choose between the J, Jovec, or J+Jovec. It is that kind of little design flaw that just annoys me to no end.

There is no easy way to switch away from Bixby to Google Assistant, although supposedly that is coming in a few months.

I cannot speak to the accuracy of the sensors, nor have I looked into how they are doing some of the tests, but it does have heartrate, blood oxygen, stress, EKG (requires Samsung Health on phone), body composition/body fat%, sleep rating (requires SS Health on phone I think), step counter, calories burned, workout time/length. It has a couple dozen workout types you can pick from but I didn't look into what makes them different (presumably the calories burned is based on heartrate + exercise type and also GPS logging on for mobile workouts and off for stationary ones)....just did the PushUps workout type and it did not attempt to calculate the number of push ups done, just heartrate and time. Maybe there is not enough wrist movement to calculate...okay, just tried the Weight Machine workout and simulated bench presses, but still only bpm and time. Rep counting would be a great addition, and would allow for things like setting rep goals with the watch counting/pushing you. Maybe the current hardware can't do that, but that should be a future design goal. Perhaps it's better linked with Samsung Health on the phone.

If there is something specific you want me to look at let me know.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm enjoying my Watch 4 Classic so far, but I haven't used it in nearly as many ways as you dug into. Just some of the fitness stuff (walking, stationary bike) and sleep monitoring.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looking for the most Gucci feature rich fitness smart watch. Probably looking at Garmin or Polar since they’re fitness oriented. Any recommendations?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
A friend of mine lost 30kg with a garmin, nagging options are good. 10K steps a day minimum. And ofc some diet, weighing the food I think. Mebbe Ossoi Ossoi knows which one to get?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
A friend of mine lost 30kg with a garmin, nagging options are good. 10K steps a day minimum. And ofc some diet, weighing the food I think. Mebbe Ossoi Ossoi knows which one to get?

I only have experience with trackers, not smart watches

I've had a Charge 2 and Charge 3. Fitbit sent me a Charge 4 a few months ago because screen was intermittent on my 3, but the Charge 4 screen is all scratched because first night I met "new Domme" we were rolling round on the wooden floor of my air bnb

I will buy the Charge 5 when it's out later this month.

Not sure if smart watches have any appeal for me considering how soon they're out of date

• 1Like

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Whoop 4.0 was announced today at WHOOP Unlocked. Members get early access to reserve (9/9 1p cutoff) and need 6+ months remaining to get it for free. Otherwise you will need to up your contract. Got mine reserved as I am riding out an annual subscription anyway. Looks pretty neat, added in skin temperature, blood oxygen, better sleep coaching, haptics for interesting alarm clock potential, and a clothing line designed to allow the device to be in more convenient places (boxers, tanks, leggings, etc.). Ships starting 9/27.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Lanx Lanx GTR2 problems: For the 1 millionth time I’ve pressed ‘pause’ then ‘end’ after an outdoor bike trip. Also didn’t want to open phone app agps boost pre exercise, should be good no matter what? No exercise data, time or map is saved though wtf? Don’t care about the stats, but I wanted the map data, so my kid who went along could see how far we went. Fecking, feck feck. What am I doing wrong here?