Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
There's a massive difference between any android watch and the potential of the iWatch, I don't really think you can extrapolate any sort of numbers off anything that's come before.

Edit: before anyone gets their panties in a twist, I'm talking strictly sales numbers. I have no idea how they stack up in terms of features, and don't care.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well I'll quote you if it does, and FYI that screenshot was taken from the trailer you linked for the newest Pebble...
And if you've ever used a Pebble you'd know that's an example of the original weather app that's just running on it with a new color pallet - some stuff like that watch face (the curly red on black) show that it's actually capable of doing some pretty decent looking graphics (still not as good as the 360/iWatch - but regardless).

And yea, part of why contrary to Column's intentional repeated misquoting - I acknowledge there's a chance the cult of Apple will prove me wrong there that he chooses to skip - but I feel that trying to flip them will be pointless since Apple's production lines are clearly nuts. (Not to mention if someone is down for spending 3x as much on one, odds are the premium versions are going to be easier to find - at less than double retail - I can't see ever flipping them for over the Steel version)

I was debating the value of reselling them - not their actual sales figures - since I have a hard time comprehending the cult of Apple.

[Also a hurdle Apple is going to have for initial sales is the terrible breakability first gens of their products have had - with something much easier to break than a phone and impossible to case]

Column_sl

shitlord
spazfishlarge_by_carredondo-d801xr5.png

[Also a hurdle Apple is going to have for initial sales is the terrible breakability first gens of their products have had - with something much easier to break than a phone and impossible to case]
Yeah too bad they are using Gorilla glass on the watches instead of the recently Apple patented flexible sapphire glass. O wait....

Washington: Apple's iWatch is expected to come in two sizes, sport a flexible display with sapphire glass cover
Apple currently uses Corning's Gorilla glass for the iPhone 5s display, but after investing over $100 million in a new sapphire glass factory in Mesa, the company is looking to set itself apart from Samsung and other OEMs with a display that is more flexible and scratch resistant.
Samsung has indicated it's interested in adopting sapphire glass, but Apple has already scooped up three years worth of the current supply, making it just that much harder for the Korean company to catch up when the iPhone 6 is released in September.

Read more atiPhone 6 Sapphire glass shows off its flexibility in stress test | Cult of Mac

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Column, you keep saying this is a great fitness watch but I still fail to see that. You say you can "hook it up to WiFi" at your gym. Who gives a shit? Most people that use fitness watches / heart rate monitors are actually outside running and cycling, etc. Those are what you would want GPS tracking for, which the apple watch does not have without being tethered to your phone. You have fuck all use for GPS sitting on a treadmill.

Again, there's a billion apps out there for any phone that I guarantee will do it better. Personally I use Endomodo Pro. Why exactly do I need a watch too now?

Vaclav

Seriously dude, you think they're going to be valuable to resell? They'll have more day 1 production than PS4 with a more niche audience than PS4, and PS4 around the same time they hit 5 million shipped (month 3-4) wasn't particularly hard to find anymore and flippers basically couldn't move them. (And price points are similar/etc)

I don't specialize in flipping, but considering it's niche, expensive and heavily produced - I just don't see it being a good flipping item. If they said they were making 500k for the initial shipment I'd be saying differently though. But aiming to flip something that will ship roughly 100k to every state (In reality more like a quarter mil to every coastal state and a handful spread in the middle) seems like the setup for disappointment.

[Oh wait, was it 5 mil for worldwide? I might have to change my tune then - I was only thinking of it as a US announcement - anyone know?]

And if it is just US only (if I'm wrong about the count being US only, then I'll revise my whole opinion) though they sold 10 million iPhone 6 in the first quarter they were available in the US, that would literally be a 50% Q1 attach rate - which is ludicrous.

Column_sl

shitlord
Column, you keep saying this is a great fitness watch but I still fail to see that. You say you can "hook it up to WiFi" at your gym. Who gives a shit? Most people that use fitness watches / heart rate monitors are actually outside running and cycling, etc. Those are what you would want GPS tracking for, which the apple watch does not have without being tethered to your phone. You have fuck all use for GPS sitting on a treadmill.

Again, there's a billion apps out there for any phone that I guarantee will do it better. Personally I use Endomodo Pro. Why exactly do I need a watch too now?
Have you even walked in a gym? seriously. If you think everyone that uses fitness devices are outside running marathons, clearly you have not.

Also I never claimed it was a great fitness watch, I said it fits all my needs, and will replace my nike band.

Column_sl

shitlord
Seriously dude, you think they're going to be valuable to resell? They'll have more day 1 production than PS4 with a more niche audience than PS4, and PS4 around the same time they hit 5 million shipped (month 3-4) wasn't particularly hard to find anymore and flippers basically couldn't move them. (And price points are similar/etc)

I don't specialize in flipping, but considering it's niche, expensive and heavily produced - I just don't see it being a good flipping item. If they said they were making 500k for the initial shipment I'd be saying differently though. But aiming to flip something that will ship roughly 100k to every state (In reality more like a quarter mil to every coastal state and a handful spread in the middle) seems like the setup for disappointment.
I don't give a shit about any of it that hence the Face Palm. That's something you injected in later when you lost every other point you made earlier..

Shall you link another 10 month old article now?

Vaclav

I dunno, but if I had the money I'd buy one and once they run out of them turn around and sell it for 3 - 4x what i paid for it.
That was the post I quoted with my first post in the thread since the iWatch came up (and the first one you responded to), you fucking retard. The one that you got so riled about. In case you missed the context since I didn't spell it out - I was doubting that it was going to be a good item to resell. (Hell, I saw multiple people take a wash on 360's that they were planning to flip)

Column_sl

shitlord
this is your first post to me LOL

Pebble Time is a Tamagotchi? Have you even seen Pebble Time? Pebble Time - Awesome Smartwatch, No Compromises by Pebble Technology Kickstarter

I'll admit it's marginally less pretty than Moto360 or iWatch, but it's HALF THE PRICE with basically all the functionality and a fuckton of app support already.
that has nothing to do with Flipping phones. I could give 2 shits about that, and shouldn't even be in this thread. Stop Derailing it you fuck nut.

Vaclav

Yes, after you responding TO THAT POST when I was talking about reselling. I was talking about one thing, YOU tried to discuss a different topic. It's amazing how fucking illiterate you are, while claiming to be a millionaire inventor.

Apparently to speak to you rather than assuming you actually read everything that was posted before I need to spam the forums repeating myself and the people I quoted 18 times because you've got the memory of a goldfish.

And don't bother responding - you're going on ignore for a while. If you try to take my posts out of context by reading 1 line of a four line (or whatever length) post again I won't be responding for a few months.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you even walked in a gym? seriously. If you think everyone that uses fitness devices are outside running marathons, clearly you have not.

Also I never claimed it was a great fitness watch, I said it fits all my needs, and will replace my nike band.
Typically the same people wearing heart rate monitors with their fitness watch to track their calorie "burn" while lifting weights. (ie: clueless fucking retards)

The fitness aspect is only what slightly interested me, but it's basically still tied to your phone for any real functionality. Another point is that I want to see the reviews on how accurate the HRM is supposed to be on a watch. Every HRM worth a shit in the fitness world is a chest strap. Just dubious about that, is all.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yes, after you responding TO THAT POST when I was talking about reselling. I was talking about one thing, YOU tried to discuss a different topic. It's amazing how fucking illiterate you are, while claiming to be a millionaire inventor.

Apparently to speak to you rather than assuming you actually read everything that was posted before I need to spam the forums repeating myself and the people I quoted 18 times because you've got the memory of a goldfish.

And don't bother responding - you're going on ignore for a while. If you try to take my posts out of context by reading 1 line of a four line (or whatever length) post again I won't be responding for a few months.

tumblr_m7c8hla1fs1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Column_sl

shitlord
Typically the same people wearing heart rate monitors with their fitness watch to track their calorie "burn" while lifting weights. (ie: clueless fucking retards)

The fitness aspect is only what slightly interested me, but it's basically still tied to your phone for any real functionality. Another point is that I want to see the reviews on how accurate the HRM is supposed to be on a watch. Every HRM worth a shit in the fitness world is a chest strap. Just dubious about that, is all.
Mmm, I use my current fitness band for allot of shit. Keeping track of breaks,Timed segments, counting out reps, counting out pushup/sit ups etc. It also keeps track of everything I did in the gym, weigh ins etc. I also take notes on it all the time for just regular life shit that may come to mind while I'm in the gym.

For cardio I use it for the obvious warm up/cool down for heart monitoring.

I could give two shits about calorie burn, that's for people who's body types are so close to being overweight that they have to watch everything during the day.

If you go to the Cardio areas of the gym, the p90x,yoga etc everyone one of those motherfuckers has a fitness device on them.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
[ Bla bla bla bla, bunch of typical misdirected bullshit containing the words "you have no idea"... ]

Have you even seen a pebble? It's like a god damn Tamagotchi for your wrist...
I own one. I wore it all the time until the good folks at work discovered that it does Bluetooth, and I'm not permitted to wear anything wireless where I work. Now, it collects dust, and I'm back to a good old-fashioned watch that does nothing but tell the time. I couldn't wear an Apple Watch at work even if I wanted to, so it makes zero sense for me to buy one, even if I did want one in the first place.

Oh, but because you posted some stupid meme about Apple haters, and some silly photo of the Pebble that is actually meaningless, I'll engage you on that:

I have owned more Macs than I care to admit, every iPhone since the 3G, and several iPads. I am an Apple fanboy.

I don't want an Apple Watch, because my 1st gen Pebble seems to do a good 80% of what the Apple Watch does, for cheaper, and its battery lasts 10+ days, even now, years after it was manufactured. You can rage all you want. You can talk about charging tables from IKEA all you want. The fact remains that the Apple Watch rev 1.0 is a shit product.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Column is fanboying hard in this thread.

Here's a tip for you guys. You don't need to electronically track your exercise. You just need to exercise. And for fuck's sake you don't need to post your workout on Facebook several times a week. I fantasize about using those posts to lay in wait on the spammer dipshit's running route to smash their knee with a lead pipe just so they won't be shitting up my facebook feed with this shit that nobody but them cares about for a few weeks.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I don't think he's even interested in buying one. The Apple Watch is juicy troll bait.

Column_sl

shitlord
Here's a tip for you guys. You don't need to electronically track your exercise. You just need to exercise.
Way to go Captain obvious... Also what kind of pleb still uses Facebook in 2015? lol. Thanks for the tips grandma

Sorry , but some people like to have a routine. If they want to track progress then guess what they are going to use something digital. I know thats crazy, watch out future.

You should go on the road with such great advice, I'm sure every personal trainer in the country is shaking in their boots..heh

Column_sl

shitlord
I don't think he's even interested in buying one. The Apple Watch is juicy troll bait.
So basically you can't have one at work so you are unhappy ,and you want to shit on everyone else.

Is that the gist of it?

The fact remains that the Apple Watch rev 1.0 is a shit product.
That is spoken like a true hater, device isnt even out yet, has no reviews, and he knows its going to be garbage.

Hmm, that's very similar to the reaction of the first Ipad when it was initially announced.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I imagine column saying these posts aloud and spitting all over the place.