Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vaclav, what did you end up getting? has it worked out pretty well? This may have been posted in the other thread that was started, someone should merge those threads.
Still waiting on Moto 360. (Wife's still not gotten the OK to exercise, so exercise tracking isn't sensible yet - maybe at the end of the month on that, next appointment with the surgeon where she might get OKed is the 19th)

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I got a moto360 on launch and while the features are somewhat limit in terms of what it can do, the extra screen really is an amazing convenience. I can get a quick glance at what an incoming email is about during a meeting and whether it's important enough to read directly -- either on the watch or on the phone (if it looks like it requires a response). Same for text messages. I shelled out $2 or so for a calendar app that pops up upcoming appointments on my watch, which is great to get information about rooms. Also, when someone wants to schedule an appointment, I can check quickly on the watch when I'm available -- I can add it to the calendar once they send me an email with the meeting.

Then there are music controls, which I also use a lot, and the pedometer. I hadn't used one of those before and I now find myself walking home rather than taking the bus to meet the step goal... so far, at least, it's certainly working as a motivational tool.

As for the moto360 itself: the battery lasts a full day, so I have no concerns there. I'm not sure if it's a problem with Google Wear or the watch, but maps directions aren't always reliable... the navigation has crashed on me. When it works, it vibrates when a turn is coming up and shows you what turn to take, which is pretty cool when walking. Beats holding the phone in my hands.

Oh, and it's a watch -- I hadn't been wearing one of those for at least a year. So a couple nice features + a lot of convenience. Worth $260 imo.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Omg, i waited a whole year and now i can take off my fitbit and just use my pebble. Newest update now supports continuous monitoring, also drop in price to 100bucks now
Amazon.com: Pebble Smartwatch for iPhone and Android (Black): Cell Phones Accessories

so like yea it's all good, i'm currently using the walk/run app, hope it gets myfitnesspal integration soon.
The Pebble is very, very inaccurate compared to my Fitbit, at least with the app I was using (Misfit). It suggests that a quick flick of my wrist (say, grabbing a drink) is several "steps". They need to work on the sensitivity before it'll be a viable replacement.

Has the constant monitoring taken much out of the battery for you? I haven't been using mine every day.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Naw same battery drain, i've been switching between walk/run and misfit. They both seem to have the "wrist flick" issue. They can only improve i hope, is your watch band usually loose? I've lost 5lbs since my last watch band adjustment (i have a metal band) and while it's not tight, it is noisy when i flick for the LED, maybe that's an issue?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Nah, it isn't loose. The app just isn't fine-tuned well yet. The API is new, it's only a matter of time before they figure out the thresholds.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'll probly get a apple watch. 350 isn't terrible for the sports version, which is what I'll be using it for to replace my nike band.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I'll probly get a apple watch. 350 isn't terrible for the sports version, which is what I'll be using it for to replace my nike band.
Doesn't the Apple Watch basically require having an iPhone to act as the "master" sorta-speak? In other words, if you are running and want to use the fitness application on the watch, you must have the iPhone on you aswell? That's the main issue I have with this phone (aside from it being ugly as fuck), it cannot do much independently without the assistance of an iPhone.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yes.

Absolutely no point in buying the thing. Won't even ponder touching it until there is a 2.0.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Another issue is how wet can it get? Washing your hands going to be a thing of the past because you might splash your watch?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't the Apple Watch basically require having an iPhone to act as the "master" sorta-speak? In other words, if you are running and want to use the fitness application on the watch, you must have the iPhone on you aswell? That's the main issue I have with this phone (aside from it being ugly as fuck), it cannot do much independently without the assistance of an iPhone.
Kills the entire point of the thing as a "fitness watch". Fucking dumb.

The Endomodo app works equally as well and then I only need my phone (multi platform) and no stupid wrist watch for the same function.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's crazy how many apple watches they are aiming to producing. 3 to 5 million at launch? If the apple brand is truly that powerful it will be a hit just by force of will and nothing else.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Got people salivating to snap them up despite them being completely useless. Just look at Column above.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I dunno, but if I had the money I'd buy one and once they run out of them turn around and sell it for 3 - 4x what i paid for it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dunno, but if I had the money I'd buy one and once they run out of them turn around and sell it for 3 - 4x what i paid for it.
With 3-5 million produced and $350 without any type of subsidy? Android ones aren't selling great with better usefulness at $200-250 and lower production.

Hell, the new Pebble looks to do everything better for cheaper...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's crazy how many apple watches they are aiming to producing. 3 to 5 million at launch? If the apple brand is truly that powerful it will be a hit just by force of will and nothing else.
Biggest bubble ever imo.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even the die hard apple nerds seem to have a general "I will wait to tinker with someone elses first" vs the normal blind obedience to stand in line for one of these things.

If it needs to be tethered to your phone, it just isnt ready for prime time in my opinion. We need more years of battery development, hardware shrinkage, and better power efficiency for it to be viable as a stand alone unit. I could be wrong, but I am just not even the slightest bit excited for this product.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even the die hard apple nerds seem to have a general "I will wait to tinker with someone elses first" vs the normal blind obedience to stand in line for one of these things.

If it needs to be tethered to your phone, it just isnt ready for prime time in my opinion. We need more years of battery development, hardware shrinkage, and better power efficiency for it to be viable as a stand alone unit. I could be wrong, but I am just not even the slightest bit excited for this product.
I fully expect it to sell out and see lines of people snatching it up. Apple is like a cult and it does what it's told.

Column_sl

shitlord
Got people salivating to snap them up despite them being completely useless. Just look at Column above.
Mmm useless to you maybe, not to me.

My current sports band is outside the apple ecosystem, so putting one that works inside that environment is already better for me.

Also it works over Wi Fi not just Bluetooth. So while in the Gym there is no need for the phone to be on you.

For just day to day stuff for myself. I travel quite abit, and it will have a TSA approved screen on it that I can just run through without getting my card out at the airport.
Everything else it does is just extra.