Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Does it jab you in the wrist and draw your blood for glycogen tests every few minutes?

That would be interesting.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
@Dom I think you're not going to be able to avoid the fitness part of any watch, but in my experience you can avoid most of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got a new Apple Watch through my points program at work. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it because I do not like wearing watches or any other jewelry, but it’s light enough and the band is fairly soft so it hasn’t bothered me. I like it a lot, it’s helped me stop dicking with my phone so much at work. I’d pull phone out to check time or a text or something, notice I have emails, or more texts, or check here, etc. I like the movement reminders and tracking too. We walk a lot at work, but this helps me remember to take a break when I’m busy. The other stuff like weather and responding to texts with voice is pretty nice too. Still not sure I’d pay $400 for one, but it is a pretty nice device.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, time to ask the obviously experts of the internet on such things....

I'm looking for a better and more accurate solution to something I've been leveraging a fitness tracker for. I want something which monitors SPO2 levels at night and will alarm if it goes too low.

Currently : I'm using a Fitbit Blaze HR, which does a good job of heart rate tracking. I have a naturally low resting heart rate (it has gotten as low as 42 bpm while I sleep). My cardiologist has said until I see a night where it touches into the 30's it's not a huge concern, but to keep an eye on it (which is why I bought the fitbit).

I saw that the Fitbit Ionic was supposed to have an sp02 sensor, but that's become a shitshow as they say the sensor is there, but they won't enable it in a firmware update. My optimal solution would be something which could effectively do sleep monitoring, and set off an alarm (either on the watch or on my phone) is my SPo2 level ducked too low. Does such a device exist in the commercial market yet? I have seen heartrate and sp02 monitoring socks for babies, so the technology is obviously capable..

Ideas?

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
OK, time to ask the obviously experts of the internet on such things....

I'm looking for a better and more accurate solution to something I've been leveraging a fitness tracker for. I want something which monitors SPO2 levels at night and will alarm if it goes too low.

Currently : I'm using a Fitbit Blaze HR, which does a good job of heart rate tracking. I have a naturally low resting heart rate (it has gotten as low as 42 bpm while I sleep). My cardiologist has said until I see a night where it touches into the 30's it's not a huge concern, but to keep an eye on it (which is why I bought the fitbit).

I saw that the Fitbit Ionic was supposed to have an sp02 sensor, but that's become a shitshow as they say the sensor is there, but they won't enable it in a firmware update. My optimal solution would be something which could effectively do sleep monitoring, and set off an alarm (either on the watch or on my phone) is my SPo2 level ducked too low. Does such a device exist in the commercial market yet? I have seen heartrate and sp02 monitoring socks for babies, so the technology is obviously capable..

Ideas?

Pulse Oximeter, Blood Oxygen Monitor
Maybe this? Says it has high and low alarms for pulse and sp02

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I found out (wasn't supposed to, opps) that my wife just ordered me an Apple Watch thats being delivered on Wed. Anything I should know about these things?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I found out (wasn't supposed to, opps) that my wife just ordered me an Apple Watch thats being delivered on Wed. Anything I should know about these things?

Is it the newest one? Pretty sure one of the features I read about is it keeps track of your clotheslines per day. Pretty handy.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Is it the newest one? Pretty sure one of the features I read about is it keeps track of your clotheslines per day. Pretty handy.
Who needs a watch for that? I just carve hashmarks in my chest with a rusty spoon to do that.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got a s3 gear frontier or whatever for $100 from another deputy, needed a watch that would do repeating 15min countdowns and comparing $100 smart watch vs $40 timex figured it was worth a shot. Needed a watch for quick look and reset vs using my phone as I can't constantly haul it out of my cargo pocket and not supposed to really have it out around inmates.

I don't know shit about them, any must have things I should do with it? It's the bluetooth only one, no independant service via carrier I believe. Currently trying to find a watch face that is pretty simplistic digital. Seems like every watch face on the store tries to load 500 different pieces of info on the front.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Currently trying to find a watch face that is pretty simplistic digital. Seems like every watch face on the store tries to load 500 different pieces of info on the front.

I use "Blue Stealth (12 Hr)" watchface on an S2. It's simple digital in the middle with analog along the edges. Has Date and battery life. And it's dark so it's not obnoxious when it comes on from motion at night.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a s3 gear frontier or whatever for $100 from another deputy, needed a watch that would do repeating 15min countdowns and comparing $100 smart watch vs $40 timex figured it was worth a shot. Needed a watch for quick look and reset vs using my phone as I can't constantly haul it out of my cargo pocket and not supposed to really have it out around inmates.

I don't know shit about them, any must have things I should do with it? It's the bluetooth only one, no independant service via carrier I believe. Currently trying to find a watch face that is pretty simplistic digital. Seems like every watch face on the store tries to load 500 different pieces of info on the front.
Wow! Hell of a deal! That watch currently retails for $300 and was discounted down to $200 for Christmas. I picked one up but looking to sell it because I just don't have a need. I don't wear it at night, and I'll forget to wear it a couple days and I realize I'm not missing anything. Sucks because I like the idea behind a smart watch, it's just not for me.

Sludig

Ya, I was pretty agains them, hence being clueless. It's just the nature of my job where looking at my phone is harder having time/timer and maybe alerts is going to be handy to have. I imagine I might get some use if I can leave it uncovered by my motorcycle gloves and see alerts when I'm stopped at a light.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

The watches are compatible with Samsung Pay, which is Sammy's killer app--it is by far the best major mobile wallet system. It will even work on card machines that aren't specifically designed to work with Near-Field Communication. It makes paying with credit cards safer because it generates a fake account number that is tied to your real one, and Samsung gives you points that you can use to redeem off future purchases from them. They also run pretty great flash deals frequently.

There are also certain credit cards like US Bank's Altitude Reserve that give you at least 3% back on all mobile wallet purchases (4.5% if you redeem for travel), so effectively you are getting this amount of cash back on everything thanks to Samsung Pay's wide acceptance. Samsung Pay + Altitude Reserve = win.

Sludig

I use "Blue Stealth (12 Hr)" watchface on an S2. It's simple digital in the middle with analog along the edges. Has Date and battery life. And it's dark so it's not obnoxious when it comes on from motion at night.

So i bought this for being able to do 15 minute alarms and reset them. Playing with it now it isnt alarming on my phone after I set a 15 second alarm. Know how to get it working or do I need a watch app?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
dunno, I don't do any alarms or special features on my watch. I use it til tell time/date and track steps.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
pebble finally died, this sounds amazing for 30day battery life Amazfit Bip Smartwatch by Huami with All-Day Heart Rate and Activity Tracking, Sleep Monitoring, GPS, Ultra-Long Battery Life, Bluetooth, US Service and Warranty (A1608 Black) have it coming in tomorrow, i'm going on vacation soon and i need a... compass, this has it so it'll be all good. (thats how i navigate cities, i know phone has compass or i could be a dork and whip out my real compass', but phone is sometimes slow, maybe it was just old phone)

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Looking to pick up a new watch/fitness tracker. Had a Garmin Vivoactive HR which died in a pool over the weekend despite being water resistant. I was thinking about picking up a Galaxy Watch, but the rumor mill says the new model will come out in August. If the Galaxy Watch was going for a discount I'd consider it, but it's still going for the same price it went for when it was new, and they are saying the Galaxy Watch 2 will be the same price so I might as well wait. Any other options out there worth considering? Don't have an iPhone and zero interest in purchasing anything made by Apple.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so this amazfit bip works great for a 60$ watch, it has color and it's even touch screen(yea i really didn't check it out), since it only has one physical button, you do most of the programming with the phone of course, compass is great, (checked it w/ my compass) turn by turn w/ google maps works well

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay so I've been big on the Garmin Forerunner since 2008 when it was a clunky piece of shit. But still amazing for the time.

I've progressed through a few other Garmins since then. My last good watch died in 2018. This was a forerunner smartwatch version. I ended up buying a Garmin Vivoactive 3 off of Amazon and that piece of shit broke in like 8 months. Recently I was looking for a new one. I found that that I fell victim to Amazon's faggotry and when I ordered the Garmin Vivoactive 3 I actually got some Chinese knockoff shit version as opposed to their official version because of Amazon's pooling strategy and lack of quality control on it.

That pisses me off.

So now I am going to only order things like this from REI or whatever.