Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looking at getting the wife and I in a better exercise regimen soon as she's on the mend from her neck surgery in two weeks - so probably June - and been thinking of getting myself a smartwatch of some sort for using the pedometer in my M8 to track my exercise [and more bonuses as well - but pedometer access is a must in addition to standard smartwatch stuff to me] and something more in depth to tie into her Fitbit or other similar app on her M8, since she's a bit more in need of really making a routine of things. [Her father's genetics have some spinal weakness stuff, so she really needs to strengthen her back and upper legs to make sure she doesn't end up getting paralyzed by one bad fall like he did]

Thinking that Pebble makes the most sense for my direction - although it looks the information in the Pebble thread here petered out in recent discussion - so if there's some serious competition to Pebble I'm definitely curious - I do like the idea of all the stuff the Galaxy Gear does, but not doing Samsung this generation so it would be half-assed at best with the Gear 2.0 from how it reads. (And zero compatibility with 1.0 from what I read?)

On her, she prefers the idea of a "girly" fitness tracker, and having a time face on it would of course be a bonus as well as well as the maximum amount of tracking categories - if anyone has any advice. (Fitbit sound great besides no time display except on the one that got recalled for nickel allergies or whatever)

Got plenty of time to hash things out for specifics - and Fitbit compatibility is a plus since it ties into Blinkfeed for the M8, but realistically rather have a girly smartwatch/semismartwatch with lots of fitness tracking over the Blinkfeed support.

Thanks again for the advice tech heads.

Crone

I was always interested in the Nike Fuel Bands. I always thought those looked the best, and can do all the tracking stuff.

Although I've never done research in them, so I'll be watching this thread as well.

Vaclav

So far from my own looking around without guidance, candidates I've seen are:
Watch: Pebble, Sony SW2, Razer Nabu (sorta both though for Nabu) and Martian - heavily leaning towards Martian though.
Fitness Tracker: Razer Nabu, Garmin vivofit, and now Nike Fuel since I'd been unaware of them being decent until you inspired me to look now.

Lots of narrowing and I'm sure more that I've not even considered yet... fun times, but got a while before it's relevant fortunately.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
no to pebble

i have it and the only apps for it (the new version 2's) do not have always on pedometer tracking. basically you have to turn on pedometer tracking when you want to track, which is silly b/c you'd want to track 24/7. (which is what fitbit does)

i have a fitbit, i thought the pebble would "eventually" replace it, it doesn't, and i doubt it will.

also remember pebble is great, but it is not a multi-tasker, some apps do NOT multitask, i have 3 timer/stopwatch apps (cuz it's great for that) and 2 of them stop working if you exit the window.

i remember the fitbit pedotrackers are the same? (i gave up after i saw the sub-par pedometer ability)

well if you want more info on the pebble i can give it, don't wanna go on about it, it's a great watch for working out.

i can do a set and if i get a txt, i just look at my while instead of pulling out my phone.

also i can fwd/rwd/pause a song/podcast with the watch, great during mid jog, rather than taking out your phone and looking at a screen.

but as a pedometer, sucks.

oh i haven't swam with it, but i've taken many showers with it on, still works.

i mean i have a fitbit and it's really great for what it does.

does she have the fitbit flex or newer? cuz they sync with the bluetooth in the phone and is just awesome for lazy tracking.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I have Up by Jawbone - got it as a Christmas present .. it's lightweight, and has a 10 day battery life - it works really well for me.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I hate to be a party pooper, but what is the point of pedometer data? It seems like something that might be interesting the first couple days, but after that it's just "hmm, looks like I walked around today, I had no idea". Pedometers have been around for decades and no one gave a shit but now that it's a smart phone accessory people can't wait to go pay $100 for one. It seems like a way to tell yourself that you're doing something fitness-wise without actually exercising more than anything.

As far as smart watches go, I think it's likely to be worth waiting for summer for the Moto 360. It's the first smart watch that I have found remotely appealing.

Vaclav

Honestly Brut, it's just to show some level of participation to her so she doesn't feel like she's doing it alone, I realize it's halfassed. (and keep in mind my phone already does it, so it's just about having the data at hand easily)

For her side we want the full spread.

Although I am sstarting to notice some track sleep quality too, which I could probably benefit from but I'll probably try her device a bit to see if a short term analysis helps first.

lanx: We've got nothing yet, it's a plan for June or July (not gotten a report on recovery time, that's my assumption of 6-10 weeks could be longer or shorter) after she's healed from the neck surgery she'll be having on the 28th. Pedometer for her is less important than good heart rate/etc tracking although I do like the idea of us both having pedometer stats even if they're halfassed so I can demonstrate I'm doing it as much as she is so she doesn't feel she's doing it alone. [with some level of variance since I'm sure the M8's built in one isn't nearly as good as full fledged ones.

On the Moto 360: Definitely going to have to look into when that's sitting at for timeframe ATM, sounds ALMOST perfect - only thing I didn't see mention of is it having a speaker on itself, if it does have one it could easily move to the top of my list - the idea of being able to have it be a "safe driving" extension and a sexy looking watch watch both is a huge appeal to the Martian right now - which if it matches all of that with more functionality for a reasonable price - SCORE! (Note: In Maryland we've got "no handheld phone use" laws - I think come next year when we're in Florida it's not going to be a concern anymore, but for the next year it's something that would be nice to cover)

Vaclav

Looking into it more looks like if Moto 360 is oppressively expensive that there's going to be other Google Now integrated ones planned by the end of the year - wife made me check if HTC is doing a smartwatch - and they've apparently got two on the schedule for this year - one that is Google Now based as well. (which is clearly the category that Moto 360 would be in)

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
if that's the case i'd recommend you get 2 fitbit flexs.

truthfully what is the use of a pedometer? it's really worthless. this is speaking from a guy who has had 2 fitbits(i upgraded) and even have the buddybug/gowearfit.

the purpose of tracking is motivation, you want to track and motivate.

which is one of the biggest features of the fitbit, once you hit your target 10,000 steps a day(adjustable) you get a completed flower.

however fitbit has a community, you and your wife can link up instantly, you can see how each other did, you can then link up with your friends if you want or just join and link up with a community in your area, the fitbit community is huge in this respect, you can join them free and check it out.

also fitbit and the fitbit app can seamlessly link with myfitnesspal, probably the most used fitness tracker out there.

again you have to understand that to it's core a pedometer is worthless and useless, and it's real use is as a motivational.

i mean you could honestly follow along with a p90x or even a my butt buns workout and get as much done as a personal trainer, in truth they are just professional screamers and motivators right?

this is the same thought process you apply to the pedometers.

the fitbitflex syncs without having to sync to a computer. this is HUGE. b4 upgrading to the flex, i'd have to take out my fitbit and plug it into my pc to download the data, while it's true you have to do this eventually, it's annoying.

but with the flex since it has bluetooth it communicates and syncs with your phone practically in real time, also you get a usb wireless adapter that auto syncs the fitbit when you're in range.

just go out and buy 2 fitbit flexes put one and start walking around, i don't know if there are newer, but it's small, water resistant, charge lasts more than a week and it looks like a stupid 2 dollar band.

you probably won't even use the shitty samsung watches long b/c you'll have to recharge every other day and you'll eventually stop in 2 weeks.

Vaclav

Eh, we're religious on charging stuff that's not a worry. But all stuff to weigh, could fitbit and watch up, too of course. Money isn't really an object to me for a one-time cost when its for our health.

(seriously we keep a 3DS, Vita, 4 smartphones (no clue why we bother to charge the old ones but still we do...), 2 iPod equivalents, three PS3 controllers and a PS4 controller all max charging overnight with very rare slips - guess it'swhere all tthat focus on making sure the kids are alright at night goes with us being DINKs)

Sulrn

Deuces
I know four different people of varying fitness levels usingFitbitI think each of them has a Flex or a Force? One is prior service Army and has turned it into an art form of calibrating his workout schedule to meet his goals and improve his running ability. One of the others has used it to lose ~40 pounds in 6 months. The other two...meh, as far as I can tell they wear it because it's a new toy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have to say that I love the looks of the Moto 360. I miss wearing a watch and I am going to be sorely tempted when this thing comes out.

rrr_img_64797.jpg

rrr_img_64798.jpg

Vaclav

Updates: Apparently Nike is axing the Fuelband.

LGs G Watch is looking like a nice Moto360 competitor. Also the "rules of Google watches" are public now, and the rules sound perfect.

(stuff like Martian watch style mics being a must-have, always on displays, must be able to look like a normal watch at a glance.)

Vaclav

Oh and estimates are trickling out for G Watch and 360 - $200-350 is the range of the estimates.

(on the high-end Motorola has talked about it pairing well with the Moto G, logic to them is an accessory won't market well costing more than it's host device)

Needless

Toe Sucker
I think i like the square look a lot better than a classic circular style, those google watches are pretty damn sexy though.
With that said, i ordered a gear 2 neo out of curiosity. It's probably mediocre at best but i'm primarily curious.

I just like the idea of getting notifications without hauling out my big ass note 3 all the time.

Vaclav

Doing searches on it now, having not seen it before: it looks like a scam.