Smokers / Grills

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am going to add that to the collection once I get in my house
I ended up getting the 800 for the grill, griddle, smoke and sold my blackstone since I am limited in space. If I had more room I would have just spent the little extra for the 1050 (i think that is the #) and kept the blackstone. The griddle on the 800 is nice but it is way smaller than the blackstone I had and because it is boxed in it is slightly awkward. But being able to keep a constant temp with the controller is nice. Fan keeps running @ 500° and lower

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is another reason I really like the masterbuilt gravity series, ready to go in 10 minutes with that charcoal flavor!

My brother has one of those. He seems to have trouble keeping the temperature constant on long cooks though.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Longest I have done so far is about 8 hours. I use briquettes since I have seen people complain about temperature fluctuations when using lump since it is impossible to really have the same size lumps throughout the chamber. I cant say if that is what is causing his problems though.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have an outdoor flat top grill that they like? I've heard they are prone to warping but have no experience with them.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have an outdoor flat top grill that they like? I've heard they are prone to warping but have no experience with them.
I am on my second Blackstone, and the flat top is thick cast iron. No issues with warping unless you leave it uncovered in rain/snow all the time then you would have more issues then just warping.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I am on my second Blackstone, and the flat top is thick cast iron. No issues with warping unless you leave it uncovered in rain/snow all the time then you would have more issues then just warping.
Would you recommend it? What do you use it for?

Would you opt for a $100 more expensive model that comes with a lid?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I have the camp chef flattop and my buddies have the blackstone. Both feel equally good. I can put a "grill" adapter on mine, which i've used a couple times while camping (i got the smallest for outdoor cooking on camping trips)

• 1Like

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider

Yes, hence why I am on my second one. I use it for multiple purposes, breakfast, burgers, teppanyaki, steaks, etc.

You can find a few different aftermarket lids on Amazon to cover for a fraction of the $100.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
new thermapen model being release now new model is -of course- an improved mk4, temp readings in one second and 0.5f accurate vs the 0.7 for the mk4.

mk4 is on clearance -$69

preorder for the thermapen one $105

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some of the prices in this thread have my jaw dropping, but I think I'm going to end up combining a grill and smoker (previously had an electric smoker and propane grill) and so the price point isn't as big a concern anymore. It's just my wife and I, so not looking for anything too large. Likely the biggest I'll do is a 10 lb butt to smoke (or alternatively, 2-3 racks of ribs), and if grilling, something like 2 steaks and veggies (or 4 steaks if we have guests probably).

One of my biggest concerns is that we're on the Florida coast and I'm worried about rust, and that stainless won't last. Even shit sitting in my garage just over the summer started to rust majorly.

Any input on options? Also, anything regarding ideal size of whatever you recommend? Or anyone that's lived in Florida and has advice?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
gravel

the BGE is good, or for alteratives ANY of the other kamado styles work.

2 people 4 max.

that would be the medium BGE. 4 steaks and up to 4 racks of ribs vertical.

kamadojob classic

or a vision grills professional s

price will be ~700-900+ dollars depending on what style of cart etc.

i have the vision grills, works great, although the fire box broke into about 6 pieces(i have had it for ~5 years i think), it stays together in it's shape and works FINE (i glued it back together with furnace cement)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Some of the prices in this thread have my jaw dropping, but I think I'm going to end up combining a grill and smoker (previously had an electric smoker and propane grill) and so the price point isn't as big a concern anymore. It's just my wife and I, so not looking for anything too large. Likely the biggest I'll do is a 10 lb butt to smoke (or alternatively, 2-3 racks of ribs), and if grilling, something like 2 steaks and veggies (or 4 steaks if we have guests probably).

One of my biggest concerns is that we're on the Florida coast and I'm worried about rust, and that stainless won't last. Even shit sitting in my garage just over the summer started to rust majorly.

Any input on options? Also, anything regarding ideal size of whatever you recommend? Or anyone that's lived in Florida and has advice?
300sq is enough for a full brisket, or a 20lb turkey if you remove the top rack.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kiroy Kiroy Pagan Pagan

Any thoughts on the electric versions of the flat tops you guys are using?

ive never used one but sure its fine. Havnt looked into the give and take but i think electric heats up faster gas has higher temp. Something like that.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The Kamado type grills will work as a grill and a smoker and they won't rust but they're a lot more labor/time intensive than something like a pellet grill. Alternatively you could get a heavy duty pellet grill like a Yoder or a Rec Tec and just plan on taking the rust off of it with a wire brush every couple years and repainting. The rust is mostly just aesthetic on a heavier unit so it depends on how concerned you are about appearance.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The Kamado type grills will work as a grill and a smoker and they won't rust but they're a lot more labor/time intensive than something like a pellet grill. Alternatively you could get a heavy duty pellet grill like a Yoder or a Rec Tec and just plan on taking the rust off of it with a wire brush every couple years and repainting. The rust is mostly just aesthetic on a heavier unit so it depends on how concerned you are about appearance.

I just let my yoder rust, but they do have a new front drip guard attachment which is where most the rusting problems are from the dripping fat when your pulling the cook off.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So reading a lot of the thread, a Rec Tec seems like a good option. I think I'm leaning towards that.

Having never used a pellet grill though, now my concern is whether it's actually worth a shit as a "grill." Like if I want to do a steak, is my best option to throw a cast iron into it and then essentially cook in a cast iron inside the grill?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I don't use mine for a grill because I have a regular gas grill as well but I'm under the impression that the better ones can put a decent sear on a steak, especially if you get some grillgrates for it. Mine actually came with grillgrates but I just put them on the Weber.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
So reading a lot of the thread, a Rec Tec seems like a good option. I think I'm leaning towards that.

Having never used a pellet grill though, now my concern is whether it's actually worth a shit as a "grill." Like if I want to do a steak, is my best option to throw a cast iron into it and then essentially cook in a cast iron inside the grill?

No cast iron, just slap it on the grill. I don't know about rec tec, but my pit boss has an option to open a plate on the heat shield to allow the flame to come up (it looks like rec tec calls it Direct-Flame grilling, so make sure you get that). Bump that thing to 400-500 and you got a wood fired jet engine to cook on.

So I generally smoke a steak for a bit at low temp 200, until it gets to 110 or something like that (maybe 20-30 min? Dunno), then I crank that baby up to max and sear it off.

The flavor is not even comparable to a propane grill, get a wood you like and it's fucking amazing. I don't even use steak sauce anymore. The only reason I want a propane grill now is incase the power goes off. They do make combo pellet and propane grills as well.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I ended up ordering a Rec Tec (590).

With smoking, I eventually got to the point where I only used hickory. Fruit woods like cherry and apple never seemed to give me as deep of a "smoke flavor" that I wanted, and something like mesquite was too harsh. Jack Daniels barrel chips seemed like just a crappier version of hickory.