Smokers / Grills

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have not tried them yet, but royal oak has a CHARCOAL pellet now.

it recently just went to 49bucks, usually it hovers at 29.99, maybe check every so often if you want to buy in bulk from amazon
(it burst to 49bucks at the end of nov and end of dec for obvious reasons)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I ended up ordering a Rec Tec (590).

With smoking, I eventually got to the point where I only used hickory. Fruit woods like cherry and apple never seemed to give me as deep of a "smoke flavor" that I wanted, and something like mesquite was too harsh. Jack Daniels barrel chips seemed like just a crappier version of hickory.
Got the smoker Tuesday and did the burn off that evening. Smoked a pork butt yesterday. It definitely burns through a LOT of pellets. Seems like a very expensive way to smoke compared to the electric one. I actually ran out and didn't realize, which set my cook back by at least an hour I'd guess (more about that below).

That said, the temperature control was awesome (as well as having built in probes so I don't have to buy a separate one; sold my own one with the smoker in CA). Unfortunately the wireless for it only works on a 2.5Ghz band, and my router defaults everything to the 5Ghz. So I need to get around to disabling it to setup the wireless, and then reenable the 5Ghz band. That way I would've known when the smoker temp dropped from running out of pellets.

Overall it was a lot less fuss than an electric one (where I had to load more wood every 30ish min).

I doubt anyone really posts pictures here, but fuck it. My cook went really long as I actually had two stalls (and didn't crutch it) for the first time ever, a normal one at 160ish, and a second at 180ish. It actually never even got to 195 and my sub-8 lb butt was like 14 hours in so I said fuck it and called it done. Was cooking at 250 until the 2nd stall when I jacked it up to 275. 14 hours for that much meat is WAY too long, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Especially since it ended up tender like it was at 200-205.

I also did a much more significant bark than normal. Not sure why I did it, but it made pulling around the bark super hard. But the flavor was superb. The smoke ring on the pork was also super prominent. Overall it's some good shit.

pulled pork.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
nice nice.
looks delicious
what was the temp out when you started the cook? if it was cold then that is why it burned more pellets.
one thing you can get to help with that is a welders blanket to lay over the grill to add some insulation.
and get some strong magnets to hold it in place for when you open the cover.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was probably about 40. I thought the same thing. And once the sun went down, it also dropped into the mid 40's fast. Florida going through a bit of a cold spell right now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got the smoker Tuesday and did the burn off that evening. Smoked a pork butt yesterday. It definitely burns through a LOT of pellets. Seems like a very expensive way to smoke compared to the electric one.
when i wrap my brisket in butcher paper i just put it in the oven afterwards

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pork butt can be really random on the cooking time. Using the crutch makes it more predictable as well as faster.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I do my pork butts in the oven in the winter. Too cold to go outside and fux with grilles and smokers. Right on the oven grill with a alum basin below to catch drippings. Same prep beforehand rubs etc... 275 for like 10-12 hrs until 200F internal temp. Works great.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You ran out of pellets in 40°? And it's got a 30lb hopper?

I put 40 lbs in mine at a time and smoked 2 weekends in a row in sub zero temps and I still have pellets in the hopper. Your shit sounds all fucked up.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got the smoker Tuesday and did the burn off that evening. Smoked a pork butt yesterday. It definitely burns through a LOT of pellets. Seems like a very expensive way to smoke compared to the electric one. I actually ran out and didn't realize, which set my cook back by at least an hour I'd guess (more about that below).

That said, the temperature control was awesome (as well as having built in probes so I don't have to buy a separate one; sold my own one with the smoker in CA). Unfortunately the wireless for it only works on a 2.5Ghz band, and my router defaults everything to the 5Ghz. So I need to get around to disabling it to setup the wireless, and then reenable the 5Ghz band. That way I would've known when the smoker temp dropped from running out of pellets.

Overall it was a lot less fuss than an electric one (where I had to load more wood every 30ish min).

I doubt anyone really posts pictures here, but fuck it. My cook went really long as I actually had two stalls (and didn't crutch it) for the first time ever, a normal one at 160ish, and a second at 180ish. It actually never even got to 195 and my sub-8 lb butt was like 14 hours in so I said fuck it and called it done. Was cooking at 250 until the 2nd stall when I jacked it up to 275. 14 hours for that much meat is WAY too long, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Especially since it ended up tender like it was at 200-205.

I also did a much more significant bark than normal. Not sure why I did it, but it made pulling around the bark super hard. But the flavor was superb. The smoke ring on the pork was also super prominent. Overall it's some good shit.

View attachment 392762
Agree with Cutlery Cutlery that sounds like something is fucked up. You shouldn’t go through 30lbs of pellets for that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't fill the hopper all the way, and then didn't realize how quickly it'd chew through them. It's my fault, but at the same time, I probably used a good 15 pounds of pellets.

Even with my cheap bag from Sam's, that's still like $5-6 in pellets for a single pork butt.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't fill the hopper all the way, and then didn't realize how quickly it'd chew through them. It's my fault, but at the same time, I probably used a good 15 pounds of pellets.

Even with my cheap bag from Sam's, that's still like $5-6 in pellets for a single pork butt.

15lbs is about right for a burn off into a 14 hour pork butt. 5-6 isn't much. 14 hours of your oven at that temp would be a couple bucks on your power bill. 14 hours in a traditional smoker would be a few bucks of hardwood and/or your labor to cut/dry the wood.

Pellet isn't a premium way to cook, it's maybe slightly above on par for other cooking methods. Remember, a rack of ribs at any good bbq place will cost you an arm and a leg.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
15lbs is about right for a burn off into a 14 hour pork butt. 5-6 isn't much. 14 hours of your oven at that temp would be a couple bucks on your power bill. 14 hours in a traditional smoker would be a few bucks of hardwood and/or your labor to cut/dry the wood.

Pellet isn't a premium way to cook, it's maybe slightly above on par for other cooking methods. Remember, a rack of ribs at any good bbq place will cost you an arm and a leg.

Yeah, if you're gonna smoke, you gotta fill that thing up.

This is starting to be a problem with my meat bill....
IMG_20211020_123243655.jpg

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Recently got on an "Old Fashioned" kick and picked one of these up.

1642479978432.png

Really digging it so far. Here's a short video I took, really adds a lot to the drink IMO.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Interesting.

My 20 yr old son discovered brisket while at college and has requested I make kc style while he is home for break in 2 weeks. I have never done brisket. Mostly cuz wife will not eat it. But I ordered a 9lb American wagyu brisket for the attempt. Will update when it is time to cook it. Either the 12th or 19th.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Interesting.

My 20 yr old son discovered brisket while at college and has requested I make kc style while he is home for break in 2 weeks. I have never done brisket. Mostly cuz wife will not eat it. But I ordered a 9lb American wagyu brisket for the attempt. Will update when it is time to cook it. Either the 12th or 19th.

2 tips I wish I had the first time I cooked brisket...

1) Use the crutch
2) Plan on it being ready a good 3 hours before you plan to eat. Maybe 4. Have a cooler ready to put it in straight out of the smoker and put a blanket over it. Don't take it out until you're ready to slice and eat. Even if it's done early don't worry. I left a brisket in the cooler for 10 hours once and it was fine.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
1 planning 2 and
yea was planning on ~2hr in the cooler.

edit: i showed my wife a pict of a brisket..."too fatty" so for her i will make ribs while the rest of us do brisket (provided it comes out good)

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
What's the current consensus on best smoker? Considerations are south Florida so it's hot and humid here. Looking to fit like 2 racks of ribs.

Anything I should after I get it? Thoughts on things I should try making on it first to get used to it?

Also I've seen you guys talk about wireless thermometers, feelings on them?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Best smoker is opinion time.

Do you want pellet, wood, charcoal, or elec.

Do you want a dedicated smoker or grill/smoker, or a big green egg kamado type that can do both with ease

And finally, budget.

Under 200 probably Weber kettle charcoal

Aftrrr that there are hundreds of options.

Amazingribs.com and look at their reviews.

Thermoworks for a thermometer

• 1Solidarity