Smokers / Grills

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Probably electric pellet. Ideally something that can grill/smoke. I don't really have any specific budget in mind

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pellet grills are probably the easiest to use of anything you can buy. Traeger is the default. There are more expensive versions (Yoder, Rec Tec) and less expensive (Green Mountain Grills). They're all pretty similar. Mostly the difference is how much steel was used to build them and how many electronic doodads are built into them. Personally I'd recommend less built in doodads and if you need doodads, buy a thermometer with wifi and all that shit so when the doodads quit working you don't have to buy a whole new grill.

If you want to sear your steaks at 700 degrees then a pellet grill isn't going to do that, but they will grill your food reasonably well. I have a weber gas grill that I use for grilling but I had it before I bought the Yoder so I don't know if I would have bothered with it if I bought the pellet grill first.

I have a Yoder YS640 and I love it. The thing is built like a tank and works every time, but there are considerably cheaper options that are equally effective. I did back my pickup into it once and it suffered zero damage though, which may not have been the case if it was a Traeger.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Probably electric pellet. Ideally something that can grill/smoke. I don't really have any specific budget in mind
which ever pellet grill you buy, a must is this gasket
8550784d03af7dd3352a5f6fce0dc2a1.png

FireBlack34 for Big Green Egg Small Medium & Mini 3/4 x 1/8 Black Hi Temp BBQ Smoker Gasket 15 ft

everyone puts this gasket on to keep the smoke in the smoker, just line it all around your door

it's only 15bucks, line it around
03af98ee21b1ab23544ec5ab0c32f6c2.png

it sounds silly but i've also used it to line it around the pellet hopper door too, i got lazy and didn't put my grill cover on and the pellets musta got some rain in the auger and expanded, hopefully if i do forget to put the cover on again (i try not to) this won't happen again.

also i used the gasket to re-gasket the connection from the smoke stack to the smoker (the oem gasket failed after 2years) and i redid the gasket from the pellet hopper to the grill.

i have a small zgrill at 320 sq/in, which is JUST ENOUGH to fit a full brisket i "guess" you can count the 2nd tier rack at 120sq/in but i don't use it, i find it annoying

it keeps temps fine and working w/ it, i know it, at 300bucks on sale i really can't complain.

if i had to upgrade? i would either looked for a tricked out traeger or go offset and wood

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
gonna snag a charcoal grill - pk360 or decked out weber kettle? Anyone have the 360? My main goal is perfect steaks and i'm reading it's just awesome for that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna snag a charcoal grill - pk360 or decked out weber kettle? Anyone have the 360? My main goal is perfect steaks and i'm reading it's just awesome for that.
if its gonna be charcoal it's unamerican to get anything but a weber

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
if its gonna be charcoal it's unamerican to get anything but a weber

webers are made in china pk grills are made in fucking little rock

I swear you are the dumbest asian i've ever communicated with

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
webers are made in china pk grills are made in fucking little rock

I swear you are the dumbest asian i've ever communicated with
you want to buy a 1000$ china grill go ahead
6008c9f43f43a45c7af876c8eeec3844.png

don't know why youre so ignant

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
1 planning 2 and
yea was planning on ~2hr in the cooler.

edit: i showed my wife a pict of a brisket..."too fatty" so for her i will make ribs while the rest of us do brisket (provided it comes out good)
Don't pull it off the smoker wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler. You have to let the temperature come down or it will just continue to cook.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I still have fond memories of my weber smokey joe in my apartment in California that didn't allow charcoal grills. I was on the second floor so no one could see it even though the smell is pretty unmistakable and I was making perfectly seared tri tips and shit on the balcony with my little $30 grill. When it comes to bang for your buck there's no competition for a weber kettle. That thing is 25+ years old now and still looks brand new although I never use it anymore.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My electric smoker finally shit the bed, looks like heating element went out. Was a 75% off clearance item to begin with, so got my moneys worth. Now I’m going to try smoking on my Weber kettle, should be fine after I figure out my vent positions to keep the temp in the right zone

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My electric smoker finally shit the bed, looks like heating element went out. Was a 75% off clearance item to begin with, so got my moneys worth. Now I’m going to try smoking on my Weber kettle, should be fine after I figure out my vent positions to keep the temp in the right zone
thats a 30$ replacement at most, what model is it

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I went down the rabbit hole and decided on this:

made in Argentina - I have a yoder for any slow cooking / smoking so a santa maria style grill is the logical next step

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Send of course today the weather SUCKED and the pellet grill flipped out after 6hr. Brisket was at 143 I finished in the oven 😢.

Took it out at 193 after 10hr, but it was done ( i weould gave preferred 200) incooler then cut off point ssnd thinly sliced against the grain. Was delic. Served with Cole slaw baked beans and a few other sides. Wife tri ed it but while she said it was good, wanted ribs so ate those( I was prepared and made a rack)

Son thought delish but wanted thicker slice of the point

Wrapped end of flat to prevent drying. it worked

Point

Last edited:
  • 1Like