Smokers / Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Pork Butt smoked for 12 hours @ 250f until internal is 195f.

Propane smoker. 2 rounds of Hickory Chips. Rub applied last night. Mop (BBQ, bit of vinegar, bit of water) applied when flipped throughout cook.

20017812_10100163426903187_3973348387657422682_o.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Question, I enjoy smoked meats from time to time however I am not looking to invest in a "Green Egg" and based on the long-term smoking term I think I would be interested in an electric or gas smoker (set and forget). Do you guys recommend something I can pick up at a Lowe's, THD or even Amazon that may fit that bill? Looking to spend $200 or less. Again probably would be used a few times a month.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So I cooked that Butt on what would be considered a bottom-end gas smoker. It works well, however accessing the water dish and chip dishes is a pain in the ass that requires careful disassembly mid-cook. I can do it in 5 minutes, but that's still lost heat and wasted time. Whatever you get make sure the chip dish/tray has easy access without losing too much heat.

Electric is totally set it and forget it, however I'm not sure of the economics of use electric heat for long a duration to heat a poorly insulated metal box outdoors. Gas is very economical, and pretty simple. Once i get the settings fine tuned for a smoke sessions it stays pretty steady, though you do need to monitor and make fine adjustments as needed. This is where a wireless thermometer comes in handy. DO NOT get a horizontal smoker or a grill with a smoke chamber. They suck. A grill is for grilling a smoker is for smoking. Something like below is a good starter smoker in my view. Separate door to access chips and water, multiple racks.

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I do however use a good thermometer setup, as the built in one is garbage. (literally off by 50 degrees) Wireless is super convenient so you can be free to game/watch tv/etc. while something cooks for 6+ hours. 2 probes is also necessary so you can see internal temperature of your meat AND the ambient temp inside your smoker.

Amazon.com : Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer with Larger Display and added Features - Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Even better. Combo of that smoker with a wireless thermometer.

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker with Cuisinart Thermometer : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I cooked that Butt on what would be considered a bottom-end gas smoker. It works well, however accessing the water dish and chip dishes is a pain in the ass that requires careful disassembly mid-cook. I can do it in 5 minutes, but that's still lost heat and wasted time. Whatever you get make sure the chip dish/tray has easy access without losing too much heat.

Electric is totally set it and forget it, however I'm not sure of the economics of use electric heat for long a duration to heat a poorly insulated metal box outdoors. Gas is very economical, and pretty simple. Once i get the settings fine tuned for a smoke sessions it stays pretty steady, though you do need to monitor and make fine adjustments as needed. This is where a wireless thermometer comes in handy. DO NOT get a horizontal smoker or a grill with a smoke chamber. They suck. A grill is for grilling a smoker is for smoking. Something like below is a good starter smoker in my view. Separate door to access chips and water, multiple racks.

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I do however use a good thermometer setup, as the built in one is garbage. (literally off by 50 degrees) Wireless is super convenient so you can be free to game/watch tv/etc. while something cooks for 6+ hours. 2 probes is also necessary so you can see internal temperature of your meat AND the ambient temp inside your smoker.

Amazon.com : Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer with Larger Display and added Features - Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Even better. Combo of that smoker with a wireless thermometer.

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker with Cuisinart Thermometer : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I went with the Materbuilt based on your recommendation of the second door at the bottom, however I upgraded the wireless dual probe based on Amazon recommendation to this one Amazon.com : ThermoPro TP07 Remote Wireless Digital Kitchen Cooking Food Meat Thermometer with Timer for BBQ Smoker Grill Oven, 300 Feet Range : Patio, Lawn & Gardenand still made out with an added cover for $238. NICE!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I went with the Materbuilt based on your recommendation of the second door at the bottom, however I upgraded the wireless dual probe based on Amazon recommendation to this one Amazon.com : ThermoPro TP07 Remote Wireless Digital Kitchen Cooking Food Meat Thermometer with Timer for BBQ Smoker Grill Oven, 300 Feet Range : Patio, Lawn & Gardenand still made out with an added cover for $238. NICE!

I would recomend this one over that one, you really want dual probes.

Amazon.com: ThermoPro TP08 Wireless Remote Digital Kitchen Cooking Meat Thermometer - Dual Probe for BBQ Smoker Grill Oven - Monitors Food from 300 Feet Away: Kitchen & Dining

• 1Like

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
brekk, after reading even more into these smokers it was recommended to use lava rock for the bottom tray to even disperse the heat and use a cast iron to smoke the chips for no flame up; Amazon. I am now modified.
I am going to to prep the smoker today and go all the way with my first brisket tomorrow am for a long 8 hour cook.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've haven't had too much issue with flame ups. Make sure to soak your chips for at least an hour and have a spray bottle of water handy to suppress and flames.

My model has a water dish above the chips that keeps up the moisture level and spreads the heat.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've haven't had too much issue with flame ups. Make sure to soak your chips for at least an hour and have a spray bottle of water handy to suppress and flames.

My model has a water dish above the chips that keeps up the moisture level and spreads the heat.
I went with Chunks based on reviews over the chips. They are said to last longer with less smoke loss, yes I will soak them for a good 30mins for the preseason process and maybe an hour for the meat.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Chunks work to depends how long of a smoke you're doing. Something quick like thighs and drumsticks takes two hours, chunks won't smoke enough.

• 1Like

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Update: Smoked sausages on Friday with mesquite for a pool party on Saturday. Smoked and packaged, grilled on Saturday for a little char and handed all of them to 10 drunks in a pool whom devoured in seconds and asked for MORE!....I tried none.
Woke up Sunday and prepped a 7lbs of Brisket with Rudys Rub and smoked for 5 hours and I think I should have gone 6 hours, wrapped in tin foil and smoked "cooked" for another 2.5 hours to 200F pulled and let sit for an hour before eating. Was good, but needs more perfection.
So far so good, 10-4 over and out.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users