Smokers / Grills

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have cooked a lot of shit in a weber kettle and maybe someone will disagree with me, but I don't think you can touch it for bang for your buck and I say this as someone with 3 grills that all cost over $800. Hell I've cooked 2 tri-tips at once in my $40 Smokey Joe and it worked great and that thing is over 10 years old and there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. The only downside is having to deal with charcoal.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm about to break down and buy a smoker. I had a plan to build one for years but it's become apparent that will never happen, always something higher up the list. Are those Kamados any good?

I had a Weber Spirit but that thing rusted all to fuck. My dad bought me some Char-broil thing, but what I really want is a good smoker. Probably not BGE good, but good for the money.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can definitely smoke stuff in a Kamado, but the temperature control isn't real precise and you have to watch it pretty much all the time. I tried to automate my Big Green Egg with a thermostatically controlled fan which worked okay, but you still have to keep an eye on it and if you need to add charcoal on a long cook it's a huge pain in the ass because you have to take all your food out to add charcoal and your temperature will be totally thrown off afterward. Kamados are a better grill than a smoker IMO, so if smoker is your main priority I don't think I'd go that way.

This article would be a good place to start. Meathead is my BBQ Jesus.

How To Buy A Smoker

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nice, thanks for that. I'll dig through there and see what I can come up with. I really wanted to go with charcoal because reasons, but it does seem like for my use case (which is getting fat as fuck on brisket) it makes more sense to look at a propane or even electric smoker.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I had a Weber Spirit but that thing rusted all to fuck. My dad bought me some Char-broil thing, but what I really want is a good smoker. Probably not BGE good, but good for the money.

Kamado Joe is virtually identical to BGE but cheaper and comes with more accessories.

I bought mine last year but stopped using it last Summer when I went on a new training/diet plan, used it last night for first time in ages. It definitely functions as a smoker, I've done just fine and it's not like UK has as a big a bbq/smoking "culture" as the US

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm looking at this one now:

Camp Chef Smokevault 24

Looks like it has good temp controls, holds heat well, and is spacious enough for bigger stuff like brisket, pork, etc or full racks or even tones of smoked jerky, which wtf let me tell you how jazzed I am about the idea of smoking some jerky. Holding off on buying for a bit but this looks like a winner.

A couple of reviews mention needing a third party gasket, not sure how real the need is for that, but I will continue to research.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i give up, I am too stupid to post links now on a_skeleton_03's newfangled website contraption. It's a Camp Chef Smokevault 24.

hey, nm, I got it. site kept formating Amazon links as an ad or something. Weird.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Kamados are good but they are definitely finicky to set up and temp control. You can overshoot the temp really easy and its hard to get it back down. I got one fo the standard home cheapo acorn kamado grills, It holds the heat well (Longest smoke was a 250F for 12+ hours), and definitely worth the price, but setup is definitely not as easy as a pellet grill or one of the more expensive ones. The cool thing is when you do learn it, you can use the thing for many things such as an "oven" in the summer (roasted a big beef roast at 350F for 3+ hours last year) pizza oven, great in summer, the round shape kind of acts like a brick oven. Good is a pizza stone, but better is a steel 1040 1/4 in plate cut about 2 inches smaller radius. I have done this several times last year and the stuff comes out like a brick oven pizza 600F+. You can also use it as a wok heat source with the top grill removed. Jut get the correct size wok pan, and you can have perfect stir fry at those high temperatures. ( I have never tried this yet but saw videos)

Oh and they do sell 3rd party upgrade kits for $100-200 that basically install a little computer fan to the baffle and connect to yoru wi-fi and computer or cell phone for complete automatic temp control, but I never bothered. 1/2 my fun in doing this shit is hanging out outside, with a beer in hand just fucking with it/watching it, taking dips in my pool in between.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Camp Chef Smokevault 24

I have a friend with one very similar to that if not identical and they like it. The only problem they have had with it is getting it to hold temperature when it's very cold outside but I've seen some people wrap them in a welding blanket or something similar. The only thing I would say is don't trust (or even look at) the thermometer in the door. Get a good digital dual probe thermometer (one for the pit, one for the meat).

1/2 my fun in doing this shit is hanging out outside, with a beer in hand just fucking with it/watching it, taking dips in my pool in between.

I wish I had that situation but that's why I wound up getting my pellet grill. I don't have days off to spend a whole Saturday BBQing so I need something I can set and leave for at least 2-3 hours at a time. I could do ribs or something in my BGE for 4 hours in the evening and then reheat them the next day, but if it's going to be an 8-12 hour cook I just don't have that kind of free time so I just never wound up smoking anything.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't smoke stuff, I don't sou vide or any of that.

I do like to grill. Amature style.

I got a small 2 burner Infrared Char broil grill but after a season of being a heathen and not oiling the grates or anything proper, They have rusted. I cleaned them up with a wire brush and baking soda paste but the damage is already done. I could replace them but each is 25 bucks on amazon. I would need 2 of them.

I know 50 bucks is chump change and penance for being a dumbass but I also got turned on the the Grillgrates brand.

Grillgrates

Anyone that has them that is a non master chef who only fucks regular women and not supermodels all day long have anything good to say about them? Think they would be worth the extra money?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ended up spending 99ish bucks with shipping but they came in today and I will be trying them out tomorrow. :) I hope I do not die of aluminium poisoning.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
nice nice, i got a set of grill grates for my new smoker/grill- got a pellet grill- green mountain grills jim bowie- today, was going to get a rec tec but it is backordered until june

had an issue doing the burn in- the pellets did not light- but after manually emptying the burn well, i tried again, worked great, then i reverse seared a ribeye steak and a few sirloins
one hr at 170 then take off (steak was at 102) grillgrates on and raise temp to 450., wait 5 minutes after temp @450, then i finished the steaks on the grill grates came out great w/nice sear marks.

next week will try ribs on it.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I used a 47cm Weber for the past five years and wanted something else, something new. Bought a gas grill last week and it's a whole new world.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
IT IS amazing what changing a grill does... gas is very good for grilling, not so much for bbq(low and slow style) but you can do it easily.

made beef jerky last night while raiding - came out great, 4lbs of sirloin -after trimming the fat off and smoking for 3.5-5hrs (5hr for the thicker slices)netted about 1.5-2lbs of jerky. but it is oh soooo good :)

today the curing salt arrives and i'm going to make BACON on sunday! :)

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
today the curing salt arrives and i'm going to make BACON on sunday! :)

Let us know how it turns out. My brother and his wife just got their hands on a pig and they want to make bacon in my pellet grill. They said a friend of theirs made some and it was amazing.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
#!#$!#%% only pork belly i could find @5 DIFFERENT butchers was frozen.... so bacon Delayed until next saturday. took until today to thaw, putting the rub/cure on tonight(after cutting off the skin).

a mixture of salt, pepper, brown sugar, honey, bbq rub &curing salt. wrap it tightly in saran wrap, put in ziplock bag-, going to let it sit in fridge until next satuday then smoke it. but will update you on the bacon a week from monday.

sunday doing ribs.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Don’t forget your fucking pellicles. Keep seeing you guys miss that step when you lay your directions out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I got that Camp Chef smoker, assembled last night and it is sitting in my basement. If all goes well I'll be smoking a brisket on Saturday. Got a well-reviewed dual probe thermometer as well. Really excited about this.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Don’t forget your fucking pellicles. Keep seeing you guys miss that step when you lay your directions out.

Hmm, first time seeing this. Thanks..

Pellicle formation
Before cured foods are cold smoked, they can be allowed to air-dried to form a tacky outer layer, known as a pellicle. The pellicle plays a role in producing better smoked products as it acts as a protective barrier for the food and also plays a role in enhancing the flavor and color produced by the smoke.

Most animal proteins can be dried by placing them on racks or by hanging them on hooks or sticks. It is important that air be able to flow around all sides. They should be air-dried uncovered, in the refrigerator or a cool room. To encourage pellicle formation, foods can be placed so that a fan blows air over them.

• 1Like