Smokers / Grills

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was driving behind a retard and his new grill fell off his truck. Had to gun my Civic like a real azn and avoid the grill grate(didn't want to puncture tires), on a related note, house has a left behind, old propane charbroil, still gonna buy a basic Weber if they go on sale, I like charcoal.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Whoa?! No second door for the wood? BTW, if it helps...I upgraded the bottom with adding lava rocks to the tracy and a 10" (Lodge; FUCK YAH) cast iron pan at the bottom for more even smoke.

Yeah I'm getting a cast iron pan this week to hold the wood.

I watched a 2 year review on youtube, the guy just lined the base with tin foil which he replaces as needed. Its the dripping of anything with vinegar that's bad for it. I also rubbed down the inside with cooking spray which I'm goin to do regularly to build up an protective coating.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I pulled the trigger on a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and it arrived yesterday. Just finished putting it together and it's built like a tank. This is all @Kiroy's fault as I was unaware of this company and probably would have been happy with a Traeger before I knew these existed. Going to be making pulled pork sliders with it for the Superbowl on Sunday and I might do a chicken Saturday just to make sure everything is working correctly.

Here's my empire of grills now.

20180201_142031-01.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Very nice!!! WTF is that white stuff....snow!?
I am going to rock a brisket for Sunday as well; Smoke Off on!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I pulled the trigger on a Yoder YS640 pellet grill and it arrived yesterday. Just finished putting it together and it's built like a tank. This is all @Kiroy's fault as I was unaware of this company and probably would have been happy with a Traeger before I knew these existed. Going to be making pulled pork sliders with it for the Superbowl on Sunday and I might do a chicken Saturday just to make sure everything is working correctly.

Here's my empire of grills now.

Looks like a sexy version of Star Wars. You should name them.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I will call them Pork2D2, Chicken3PO, and BeefBeef8

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The Yoder passed its first test and it was a tough one. I was really pretty skeptical when I put the pork butt in at 7AM because it was literally 20 below zero. I really didn't know if it was going to work and you really couldn't fault the smoker if it didn't because who in the fuck cooks outdoors when it's 20 below out right? It took over 12 hours and I had to set the thermostat at 265 to consistently keep it above 200 on the grill but the pork came out delicious with a great crust and a very pronounced smoke ring. Very happy with it. Also I stupidly backed a pickup into the side shelf hard enough to move the grill a foot but there was zero damage whatsoever.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Yoder passed its first test and it was a tough one. I was really pretty skeptical when I put the pork butt in at 7AM because it was literally 20 below zero. I really didn't know if it was going to work and you really couldn't fault the smoker if it didn't because who in the fuck cooks outdoors when it's 20 below out right? It took over 12 hours and I had to set the thermostat at 265 to consistently keep it above 200 on the grill but the pork came out delicious with a great crust and a very pronounced smoke ring. Very happy with it. Also I stupidly backed a pickup into the side shelf hard enough to move the grill a foot but there was zero damage whatsoever.
I've had the Yoder 640 for almost 2 years. My Green Egg hasn't been lit once since it arrived. It's by far, the best grill I've ever owned. Take my advice and get some ceramic sear plates from here
GrillGrate Panels for Yoder Smokers YS480 or YS640 Pellet Grill

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I did order some grillgrates with it although I haven't tried them out yet. They may do some time in the Weber as well.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I'm looking for something that I can easily take to a tailgate and setup. I don't have a truck, just a mid sized SUV. Ideally looking for something easy to clean and transport. I'm not a grilling expert, so something simple and easy to use. Prefer to keep it under $200. Suggestions?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
With those restrictions and price range, a classic Weber Kettle is really the only option. It's not a bad option though. Charcoal takes a while to get going, but you can sear steaks, smoke brisket, and do anything else in between with a little skill in that thing and since they're Webers they are great quality.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I rocked a char-broil (I was naive and it was cheap) for the last 6 years and it finally just completely fell apart in every way possible. Decided I wasn't going to fuck around and just buy a weber. I get to home depot and apparently they don't sell the Spirit 310 I wanted with a side burner. I can't live without that side burner so I wind up seeing this other grill, it's a little bigger 4 burner but has a side burner and is right around the same price ($450). I'm skeptical cause it's by 'Broil King' and I've never heard of that shit. Sales guy says it's just as good as Weber. I look it over real carefully, flamebox actually looks a little better build, the cast iron grates are awesome, flame tents are solid and just as good as the weber, flame tubes basically look the same and the warranty is the same.... So what the hell I bought it (2 weeks ago now). Gotta say, I'm impressed by the Broil King so far.

Aevian

With those restrictions and price range, a classic Weber Kettle is really the only option. It's not a bad option though. Charcoal takes a while to get going, but you can sear steaks, smoke brisket, and do anything else in between with a little skill in that thing and since they're Webers they are great quality.

What would be say the next step up in price range? The $200 is just a wish, not a hard line.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Picked up my GMG today! I opted for the Daniel Boone (mid-size) with Wifi. Running it for an hour at a high temp for burn off factory chemicals etc. When that is done it is time for a burger, then tonight I will put on a pork shoulder to smoke overnight.

rrr_img_93738.jpg

Have same grill, thing is a beast and I regularly sear steaks on mine. Grats

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
What would be say the next step up in price range? The $200 is just a wish, not a hard line.

What do you want to cook on it? Nothing close to that price range is going to be as versatile as the Weber kettle. I have never used a cheap propane grill that I didn't hate, but I haven't tried the Broil King mentioned above so maybe they exist. My Mom has the Weber Spirit which is the bottom of the line Weber but I have cooked on it a couple times and it seems pretty solid. Certainly a big upgrade from the Walmart POS gas grill that she had before. Hard to carry a gas grill around in an SUV though.

For tailgating the Green Mountain Davy Crockett would be a fun option. It's not going to sear steaks as well as some other things, but it will get them cooked and it should be pretty nice for smoking and will certainly grill burgers and hot dogs. It can run on your cigarette lighter, but I'd make sure you have jumper cables if you're going to smoke something that way hehe. $375

Davy Crockett - Green Mountain Grills
Green-Mountain-Grills-Davy-Crockett-Pellet-Grill-WIFI-enabled-0-0.jpg

Aevian

What do you want to cook on it? Nothing close to that price range is going to be as versatile as the Weber kettle. I have never used a cheap propane grill that I didn't hate, but I haven't tried the Broil King mentioned above so maybe they exist. My Mom has the Weber Spirit which is the bottom of the line Weber but I have cooked on it a couple times and it seems pretty solid. Certainly a big upgrade from the Walmart POS gas grill that she had before. Hard to carry a gas grill around in an SUV though.

For tailgating the Green Mountain Davy Crockett would be a fun option. It's not going to sear steaks as well as some other things, but it will get them cooked and it should be pretty nice for smoking and will certainly grill burgers and hot dogs. It can run on your cigarette lighter, but I'd make sure you have jumper cables if you're going to smoke something that way hehe. $375

Davy Crockett - Green Mountain Grills
Green-Mountain-Grills-Davy-Crockett-Pellet-Grill-WIFI-enabled-0-0.jpg

Just pretty basic stuff like burgers, chicken, and dogs. I think eventually steaks would be good. I'm ok with getting a basic weber, just didn't know if I expanded a bit on the price range if there are other good value options. If weber is just too good of a value, I may just get that.