Smokers / Grills

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
See that’s why I like BBQ’ers Delight. Almost no dust in the bag, burns super well and leaves about 1/3 the ash as most other brands. Better flavor too.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I haven't noticed much difference. About once a month or so I take the shop vac and vacuum out the ash.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’ve burned 6 bags of Delight and my crucible was maybe half full.

Opposed to Traeger and pit boss I’m cleaning every 3 or so.

And like i mentioned, the smoke is cleaner and more flavorful.

I’ve burned close to a ton of pellets this summer, and have used Bear Mountain (also good), Traeger, Pit Boss, BBQ’ers, Webber, Jack Daniels, Cabelas, Lumber Jack, Kona, B&B, Green Mountain and Memphis (I think that was all of them).

BBQ’ers Delight time and time again have out performed the others. Especially their cherry, pecan and mesquite.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve burned 6 bags of Delight and my crucible was maybe half full.

Opposed to Traeger and pit boss I’m cleaning every 3 or so.

And like i mentioned, the smoke is cleaner and more flavorful.

I’ve burned close to a ton of pellets this summer, and have used Bear Mountain (also good), Traeger, Pit Boss, BBQ’ers, Webber, Jack Daniels, Cabelas, Lumber Jack, Kona, B&B, Green Mountain and Memphis (I think that was all of them).

BBQ’ers Delight time and time again have out performed the others. Especially their cherry, pecan and mesquite.

where do you get that one?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what smoker should I go with if I want automatic temp control, auto feed of pellets I assume goes along with that, and is big enough to do 4 racks of ribs or equivalent size brisket?

All I ever hear is Traeger or Green Egg. Is there any other just as good options? That feels like Weber or die folks despite using my Walmart special grill for a couple years now with no issue. Side burner tray rusted out and fell off but the cook top itself is strong as ever. So I ain't no fancy mancy pancy.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
IMO, Weber pellets grills are trash. I'd stay as far away as I could.

Traeger are overpriced (imo) for what you get, these days they float by on their name since they were the first big name to market and haven't realized there's competition out there that is getting more and more well known to make a better product and include more for your money.

For my money there are three brands you're gonna wanna look at.

Camp Chef
Pit Boss
Rec Tec

At the end of the day, it just depends on what you want and how much you wanna pay. Like personally I'll never go thin wire BBQ grates every again. Gimmi wide porcelain coated or give me nothing. Also, I want a hopper that's gonna hold at least 25-30lbs.

All this is subjective though, I know a dude who will never own anything other than a Weber, even though he complains about his Weber Pellet all the time. It's confusing. lol

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So what smoker should I go with if I want automatic temp control, auto feed of pellets I assume goes along with that, and is big enough to do 4 racks of ribs or equivalent size brisket?

All I ever hear is Traeger or Green Egg. Is there any other just as good options? That feels like Weber or die folks despite using my Walmart special grill for a couple years now with no issue. Side burner tray rusted out and fell off but the cook top itself is strong as ever. So I ain't no fancy mancy pancy.

if money isn't an issue, get the YS640. Even if money is an issue, if you do weekly pellet smokes, the yoder will amortize itself probably over 10 years. God tier pellet smoker.

if budget is an issue i'd do green mountain grill - top notch customer service

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
if money isn't an issue, get the YS640. Even if money is an issue, if you do weekly pellet smokes, the yoder will amortize itself probably over 10 years. God tier pellet smoker.

if budget is an issue i'd do green mountain grill - top notch customer service

Yeah, I didn't include Yoder on my list, because frankly not many are willing to drop $1500 on the low end for their first pellet... usually. If that's no issue then absolutely look into one of those.

GMG has admittedly got better in the last year, they used to have a lot of control board issues and while their customer services will send you new ones, installing them is a pain, unless you have an authorized dealer near you that can do it for you. But then you gotta load it up and blah blah blah. Like I said though, they've cranked up their quality though, which is nice to see. None of their grills though come with the wide porcelain racks though, so I've yet to invest in one. If that's a thing that's important to you you can always find aftermarket ones but those usually will leave gaps on the sides.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I didn't include Yoder on my list, because frankly not many are willing to drop $1500 on the low end for their first pellet... usually. If that's no issue then absolutely look into one of those.

GMG has admittedly got better in the last year, they used to have a lot of control board issues and while their customer services will send you new ones, installing them is a pain, unless you have an authorized dealer near you that can do it for you. But then you gotta load it up and blah blah blah. Like I said though, they've cranked up their quality though, which is nice to see. None of their grills though come with the wide porcelain racks though, so I've yet to invest in one. If that's a thing that's important to you you can always find aftermarket ones but those usually will leave gaps on the sides.

this is a possible reason to push a person towards the gmg

my buddy had one and it was pretty awesome - sold it though when he got jealous of my ys640 and bought one for himself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That's pretty great, lol. I had a nice outdoor brick oven that myself and a buddy built once and then I hardly ever used it. I couldn't be bothered with taking a pizza outside to cook. Logically its no different than anything else, but I dunno...I just didn't enjoy it, personally.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The main thing you're getting with the Yoder is more steel. The YS640 is made out of 1/4" steel. That's 4 times thicker than a 16 gauge Traeger. It's going to last forever and it will hold temperature better than a cheaper brand. Also made in the US if you care about that. My first cook with my 640 it was literally -20 degrees F when I put the meat in and it didn't really take significantly longer to cook than it would on a normal day. Is that worth paying double the price of the Traeger? That's up to you I guess. I'm also a sucker for heavy duty shit and when I first saw the thing I was in love with it but I can't really say that I'm sure it's worth the money from a strictly practical standpoint. I don't regret it though. Also, I backed my pickup into it once and it took zero damage so there's that.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Yeah they can. Check your local dealers.
My next grill once the gmg dies will be yoder or something equiv. Love the gmg except for when it rains water seeps into the hopper.