Smokers / Grills

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Which one do you have again?

My dad recommended this one
I have a green mountain grill with WiFi.

There are enough probe options out there that you can do the phone/WiFi stuff without it built in. The advantage to built in is I can change the temps on the fly from in my house with my phone which isn’t a big deal. The main advantage is the scripts. That pic I attached to my last post is a script. You can set it up to change temps based on the probe temps. So if I have something that changes grill heat a lot based on the meat temp I can just set up a script, press start and it just does it all until it’s done. Everything I cook turns out exactly the same every time due to that feature. It’s definitely not necessary but it was only and extra $100 and to me it was worth it. I kind of had regret over it at first but once I used it a few times I was happy I did.

It’s one of my best purchases ever, I really like it over gas/charcoal. Before I rarely grilled other than burgers/hotdogs where I can stand there with the food the entire time.

Ive talked a couple friends into pellet smokers after they raved over some foods I gave them. They both say it’s their best purchase too, they love it. One guy uses his every single day.

Also I’m not saying GMG is the way to go. Mines a few years old now and there are more options, larger hoppers, etc. GMG was just the thickest steel at the time, and it came recommended from a friend of mine who smokes meat professionally, wins contests, etc. he has two of the giant GMGs mounted on a trailer. My friends got other brands and they’re happy with theirs. Just look for what has the options and size you want and has good reviews.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Everytime you open the lid you are changing the heat(temp) and smoke dynamics in your smoker. Avoid opening the lid/door as much as you can for better results. Depending on the type of device you have, you can cause 10-40 degree variations in your cook and if you keep opening it every 15 minutes you are never going to get that true smoke flavor you want. I really only open the firebox lid to add a log that has been preheated and dont open my main doors until several hours in to the cook. Meat only accepts smoke up till 140-145 degrees so i want it to spend as much time in the smoke as it can while its cooler.

On my smokey mountain, i dont open the top or side lid until its either time to pull or wrap the meat.

Mind you i spent quite a bit of time learning how each of my pits cook and respond to environmental variations. It is time well spent as it makes me confident in knowing how itbwill respond to all sorts of external and internal factors.
You're an inspiration. I've been relearning my WSM. Do you ever clean yours? I feel like that would remove the seasoning.

Also Lanx Lanx and everyone else. Any recommendations on grill cleaning brush? Mine didn't last long. I hear metal bristles aren't in anymore due to safety.

This one has replaceable head which is nice..

Screenshot_20201229-130520_Brave-01.jpeg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You're an inspiration. I've been relearning my WSM. Do you ever clean yours? I feel like that would remove the seasoning.

Also Lanx Lanx and everyone else. Any recommendations on grill cleaning brush? Mine didn't last long. I hear metal bristles aren't in anymore due to safety.

View attachment 325942

roll tinfoil into a ball and clean away, I've tried a number of cleaning devices and I always go back to a ball of tinfoil. Only problem is it absorbs heat really quick if you're using it on hot grates, so go fast, be touch, or wear your heat gloves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
roll tinfoil into a ball and clean away, I've tried a number of cleaning devices and I always go back to a ball of tinfoil. Only problem is it absorbs heat really quick if you're using it on hot grates, so go fast, be touch, or wear your heat gloves.
Ill try it again. Never seem to do as well as a brush.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 325942
yea steel wire brush is a nono cuz of hundreds of these accidents

• 1Like

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.

View attachment 325942
Cleaned it once in 12 years. But if I ever got a nasty build up i would clean it. The trick with smoking on it is that you need less wood than you think you do. A thin blue line of smoke is perfect.

• 1Mother of God

Kinner

My grill is gnarly. Ordering shit to deep clean it. I use it at least once daily so it stays busy.
Get some solid cast iron grates for it and season them well. Thank me later!

• 1Like

Kinner

I am such a sucker when it comes to trying out cooking gadgets, I am going to get one of these as my firepit for my new house.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I am such a sucker when it comes to trying out cooking gadgets, I am going to get one of these as my firepit for my new house.

pretty sweet - maybe an asspain to upkeep that cleaning wise though.

my next outdoor cookery purchase

Kinner

Nice, I am planning on using it has a firepit for smores with the kiddos, cooking over the open flame, and drinking around the fire at night with my friends. My new house backs up to a big open area with no one behind for 70+yards. I dont mind cleaning a little ash.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You should make your own. Here’s my base, it’s fantastic. I play with different levels of stuff and adding other things as well.

Do a light coating on the meat of mustard or honey to get rub to stick better. Either one mostly cooks off and doesn’t affect flavor. I only do the coating on long cooks like pork butts, not on ribs or pork chops. I use this on all my pork cooks.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours after rub applied

Other stuff I’ve added trying different flavors
Ghost pepper flakes
Turmeric
Cumin

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You should make your own. Here’s my base, it’s fantastic. I play with different levels of stuff and adding other things as well.

Do a light coating on the meat of mustard or honey to get rub to stick better. Either one mostly cooks off and doesn’t affect flavor. I only do the coating on long cooks like pork butts, not on ribs or pork chops. I use this on all my pork cooks.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours after rub applied

Other stuff I’ve added trying different flavors
Ghost pepper flakes
Turmeric
Cumin
i'm a rub noob, so i'll just try pre-buy for now, or maybe even just get that 5lb bag instead, heh. btw i've put the last of the 40lb of pellets into the hopper.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i'm a rub noob, so i'll just try pre-buy for now, or maybe even just get that 5lb bag instead, heh. btw i've put the last of the 40lb of pellets into the hopper.
Mother fucker all the advice we follow you on noodles, PCs, rice, and all other things chinky and you’re going to ignore a Midwest honky about grilling .

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users