SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Cant you just install roms on your comp with less effort, I am to lazy to even do that. Shit I got like 100 steam games from sales I aint gonna play either. First world problems.

Yes, it has a SMB share. I've been using that to send ROMs across. You have to reboot to see the new games, but otherwise you're golden.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Cant you just install roms on your comp with less effort, I am to lazy to even do that. Shit I got like 100 steam games from sales I aint gonna play either. First world problems.
Assuming your pi is on the same network as your PC, you can access it in explorer on your PC at \\retropie and just dump roms directly into the rom folders.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
N64 was my first console as a kid that was totally mine (I'm 32). My family had an SNES but I don't remember playing it much. Then I got heavy into EverQuest as a teen and even skipped getting the GameCube. I've played most the ones on DS/3DS/Wii and PS4. Still need to play the FF9 port on PS4 that came out recently.

My first FF game was actually 11 - and I played it pretty heavily and loved the lore and story and it got me into looking into the others.

So I've played 1, 2 (didn't finish, bad game), 3 (DS remake, meh), 4 (DS remake, great), 7 (didn't finish, was using a borrowed PS1 one summer - looking forward to the remaster), 11, 12, 14, and 15.

I'll probably never play 5 or 13 and it's spinoffs as they are ranked in the trash tier of most lists.

32 years old but didn't live and breathe NES/SNES as a kid? You're a shame to our generation.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So is FF3 and FF6 the same game? I checked Wikipedia and it states FF6 is the NA release of FF3 for SNES.

Also, I only played FF7 for a bit and never finished but I remember liking it, and the first FF game ever to love and beat was 15. Loved 15 :)

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
FF3 in the US was actually FF6 in Japan. What you probably bought as a kid was called FF3.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
FF3 in the US was actually FF6 in Japan. What you probably bought as a kid was called FF3.

Yeah I remember selling them when I worked for a Software Etc when I was a kid. Ha :) Never played it though. I remember it being $69.99-$74.99 or some outrageous price. So when people say FF6 is their favorite, they are really referring to FF3 on SNES in the US correct?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
FF2,3,5 did not release in NA until the 00's

FF2 in NA is ff4 in Japan
FF3 In NA is ff6 in Japan

SoP is now to use the Japanese numbering.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Earthbound was dumb expensive as well. That doesn't detract from FF3/6 and Earthbound being two of the best RPGs ever made, though.

Generally the only people who call FF3 FF6 are weebo neckbeards

Also I tried to buy one of these on release day and couldn't find out. Turns out I had to show up at Best Buy at 7 in the morning to get a ticket for the honor of giving Nintendo my money. I was on the east coast so already jet lagged from being on west coast time. Getting my ass up at 9 was a chore. Fuck these guys.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so basically play FF3 on my Retro Pie :)

Hey Noodleface Noodleface I have a Retro Pie set up now

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, as far as I know. It's really confusing. FF2 in the US was FF4 in Japan.

As far as I know, back in the day, if you played them as they appeared:

NES - FF1 US should be FF1 in Japan.
SNES FF2 = FF4
SNES FF3 = FF6
Playstation FF7 = FF7.
.... years pass...
Things like the Anthology collection come out that contain the missing games that we didn't get in the US.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Objectively it is a fantastic game and holds up well. I find SNES games are the ones that held up the best. NES games I find way to archaic and stiff to replay. I find N64 (and PSX) games in that horrible "Look guys we can do 3D now!" phase where everything looks like jagged cancer on the screen. SNES though look and play great.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Look, Chrono Trigger was also $80 and we all had it. We just couldn't talk the parents into buying more than a few of those $80 titles.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I remember selling almost all of my belongings at a yard sale to scrape together $40 ($50?) to buy Silver Surfer on NES. Oh boy....

I did the same thing at a yard sale many years later and scraped together $70 - $80 to buy Final Fantasy III. Much better result.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Hey Noodleface Noodleface I have a Retro Pie set up now
You know it's really funny because I've been using a retropie for over 2 years now. I'd consider myself an early adopter, doing it when the steps were confusing and broken. You have no idea how happy I am that people have come around to it.

The raspberry pi is an absolutely remarkable piece of technology and perhaps one of the greatest inventions in the last decade. We even used two of them for wireless communication in my senior design project. I know the machine very intimately (I have fucked it, yes) so I'm glad people are finally realizing how awesome it is.

• 2Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Objectively it is a fantastic game and holds up well. I find SNES games are the ones that held up the best. NES games I find way to archaic and stiff to replay. I find N64 (and PSX) games in that horrible "Look guys we can do 3D now!" phase where everything looks like jagged cancer on the screen. SNES though look and play great.

Yeah I am in the same boat. I was playing SNES games (Punch out and a few others just to try quick) and it's like playing an Indie game today. N64 and NES was hilarious. Although I am going to replay Metal Gear on NES and Metroid for sure. Then hit up LTTP on SNES (Believe it or not I never beat this game) and FF3, and Act Raiser.

Let me tell you this though. Playing River raid and Pitfall on a home theater is hilarious.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You know it's really funny because I've been using a retropie for over 2 years now. I'd consider myself an early adopter, doing it when the steps were confusing and broken. You have no idea how happy I am that people have come around to it.

The raspberry pi is an absolutely remarkable piece of technology and perhaps one of the greatest inventions in the last decade. We even used two of them for wireless communication in my senior design project. I know the machine very intimately (I have fucked it, yes) so I'm glad people are finally realizing how awesome it is.

It really is amazing. I also need to learn how to stream with it. Kodo? or something like that?