SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
We've got access to all the FF games now, including multiple versions of the ones we didn't originally get in the SNES/NES days. Referring to them by their Japanese numbers is simply the most straightforward way to do it. Saying "FF3" makes more sense if you're referring to the third game in the series, right?

...But I suppose just talking this way means I might fall into that "weaboo" category, so maybe I'm just proving your point!
Of course you are a fucking weaboo.

:emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
To those claiming FF3/6 isn't as enjoyable as it used to be - did you remember to suplex the train?

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I think the setting is what makes Earthbound less appealing to me. I'm a fan of fantasy RPGs, and the modern-ish, weird setting just doesn't draw me in.

I actually felt pretty similar about Secret of Evermore. It's a good game, and I'm glad I played through it, but the setting (especially the beginning in the 1950s town and the super sci-fi world) didn't impress me much. A bazooka? In my RPG???
I REALLY wanted to like Secret of Evermore, but the combination of the pace-killing "sniff everywhere to find resources" mechanic and the "re-collect all those resources if you die at a boss" mechanic made it hard to get into. I actually kind of liked the setting, although the made-up movie titles the protagonist keeps mentioning are kind of distracting.

As for Earthbound, I was initially turned off not by its setting but by what at the time seemed to be embarrassingly basic graphics and some lousy character design. It's quirk factor drew me in, though, and it kept surprising me regularly, keeping me hooked until what is easily one of my favorite boss battles in any RPG. Great game.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Earthbound's tiny inventory is usually why I cant finish it. If im not on an emulator the long ass repetitive text to save etc doesnt help either. I like the game but I usually stall out halfway, i think I have tried 4 or 5 times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Earthbound was a retro game before retro games... yes I know there were production stuff, unreleased version and a nes to snes transition... but that was not really public when it was released.

It was trying too hard, it was annoying and again... I got it...but...bleh

I agree with secret of evermore the jumps around and the stupid dog... no centralized "hub" or world...didn't care for it either.

I like RPGs to "play a book" - I know that's not the market now- and why I rarely like new rpgs

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've always been partial to the opera song. Oh my hero!

Also, Celes is way hotter than Terra.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Earthbound was a retro game before retro games... yes I know there were production stuff, unreleased version and a nes to snes transition... but that was not really public when it was released.

It was trying too hard, it was annoying and again... I got it...but...bleh

I agree with secret of evermore the jumps around and the stupid dog... no centralized "hub" or world...didn't care for it either.

I like RPGs to "play a book" - I know that's not the market now- and why I rarely like new rpgs

Yeah Earthbound came out when action-point and semi-realtime RPGs were the rage. Earthbound decided (for better or worse) to have it's combat function very similar to NES-era RPGs with it's only weird mechanic being the rolling HP mechanic.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I liked Esper Terra as a kid because she was technically naked.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
What does Cecil do to get Rosa in the mood?

Elixir!

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf