SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

spronk

FPS noob
I cancelled my two extra SNES orders, it looks like stock is gonna be plentiful and I don't wanna bother with scammers and shit for $100. Good luck to everyone keeping theirs. I am still keeping my UK version and one from best buy, will keep the UK and xmas gift the US one

stock numbers for best buy in store selling in NYC, 300 nearly at the union square store

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

That's a lot...

More than I thought they would have.

Good, no reason for stupid shortages.

Now how long before it's hacked and how many extra games can we get on it this time :)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
That's a lot...

More than I thought they would have.

Good, no reason for stupid shortages.

Now how long before it's hacked and how many extra games can we get on it this time :)

Seems to be the same exact board they used for the NES version, so probably will be a fast crack.

• 1Solidarity

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
No Secret of Evermore, Soulblazer or Actraiser? Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

That's a pretty good game line up, I foresee a huge shortage for a long time on those.
Joke's on them, I have the OG Soulblazer on my SNES.

It's in japanese though and I speak fuck all japanese. So usually I had to go through all dialogue options to proceed.

Szlia

Well... apparently the store where I ordered it does not care about street date so I have mine! I'll be able to test it in a few hours.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

Played a good chunk of Castlevania IV (reached the treasury), a bit of Super Ghouls n' Ghost (up to the level 2 boss) and a good chunk of F-Zero (died in Fire Field like in the good old days!). All three games worked perfectly. I had my TV on game mode and if there was any input lag I did not notice it (though some fast jumps on reversing platforms in Castlevania felt a lot harder than what I remembered). The color / brightness felt a little bit weird in Castlevania (but again that game used a strange palette to begin with), but I felt at home with the other two. There are three video modes with the device: 4:3 (original aspect ratio but stretched pixels), pixel perfect (square pixels but also a slightly deformed image) and CRT filter (original aspect ratio with a touch of blur and fake scan lines). CRT filter is where it's at. It makes a very decent job (though not as glorious as my original console in RGB on an actual CRT). Maybe 4:3 can work if you are very far from your screen? I am not sure. Also, you can't really be far from your screen with the cords provided (see further down)!

The controllers are basically identical than those of the original machine (and I have been playing SFC games for the past couple months). The surface of the controller is just a tiny bit rougher. To clarify, the surface of the original was not smooth, it was slightly rough and on this new controller it is ever so slightly rougher. It is a slight difference and absolutely not an issue. Also it is entirely possible that this difference is only there because this new controller was made a month ago while my SFC controller was made 27 years ago.

Possibly an actual issue for some, the cables of the controllers (at least in the EU version) are not exactly long. They are longer than the original SFC ones (not very hard since those are a miserable 1 meter long), but, at 1.4 meters, they don't win by much! I believe the original european and american controller cords were a lot longer. That being said, to access the menu of the console and manage your save states (4 of those per game with the possibility to rewind 40 sec from the save state point) you have to hit the reset button on the actual unit, so a 8 feet cord would be of little use. I guess you can put the unit far from your TV, but, for that, don't count of the HDMI and USB cables provided (the console is powered by USB so you can use one of those 34 USB port on your TV).

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that I am not happy with is the resolution of the console's menu. Maybe they straight up reused the NES menu or something, but that thing is not pretty and does not scream quality. With the actual ergonomics of the menu I had no issue.

The main goal of this purchase for me was to be able to share some SNES classics with friends and family on their modern TVs. I feel this unit is perfectly able to do this job. We'll see how well said friends and family do theirs! On that note it should be added that, in the EU version, the games are only in english, so some of them will be tougher to play and to enjoy if you are not able to read the language (like, say, my 12 year old nephew might have a tough time with Super Mario RPG).

• 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I cancelled my two extra SNES orders, it looks like stock is gonna be plentiful and I don't wanna bother with scammers and shit for $100. Good luck to everyone keeping theirs. I am still keeping my UK version and one from best buy, will keep the UK and xmas gift the US one

stock numbers for best buy in store selling in NYC, 300 nearly at the union square store

Thank you for posting this! I'm going to head to Union SQ right before work on Friday!

spronk

FPS noob
also... huh... the SNES is the guts of the NES classic with a different packaging shell. Which means those of us with the NES classic will probably be able to hack it to run SNES these exact NES roms, and I also wonder how much security is on the SNES and if it'll be hackable like the NES classic
SNES mini teardown confirms recycled NES mini tech

Our suspicions that Nintendo had retained the same hardware platform came from several factors: the controller interface is the same, the HDMI and USB placements are identical, the UI is similar, and general system behaviour is also very reminiscent of last year's hardware. On top of that, the SNES Mini's HDMI output tops out at 720p, another match with the older unit. Our theory was confirmed by this tweet from Chiimaero, and today we broke open both pieces of hardware to get a closer look for ourselves.

Confirming that the internal mainboard is the same, the corners - carved out to fit within the NES mini shell - remain the same on the SNES model, even though there is no real need for them to be touched at all. As a result, the new piece of hardware looks slightly less elegant internally. Hardware-wise, we're looking at the same off-the-shelf Allwinner R16 SoC (system on chip), featuring four ARM Cortex A7s paired with an ARM Mali 400 MP2 GPU. Hynix provides the single memory chip - a 256MB DDR3 module - and there's a generous 512MB of NAND storage.

The magic comes from the bespoke Super NES emulation software layer, likely built from the ground up by Nintendo's Paris-based European Research and Development (NERD) team, running on open source OS, Linux. As Digital Foundry recently discussed, the software not only emulates the Super NES itself, but a range of add-on processors specific to select titles, including the Super FX and Super FX2 chips used for Star Fox, its sequel and Yoshi's Island, along with the SA1 CPU upgrade utilised by Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star. Even Super Mario Kart used additional hardware - NEC's DSP-1 was present in every cart, faithfully replicated for the mini consoles.

The fact that the SNES mini runs on the same hardware as its predecessor has a number of implications. Among them, we can expect hackers to be looking to exploit the system in short order to add new games - exactly what happened with the NES mini. And secondly, the use of what is essentially the same technology makes it much easier for Nintendo to resume NES mini production. Previously, Nintendo confirmed that a new run of consoles will arrive next summer, while SNES mini console stock will continue to roll out up to Christmas and into 2018. Settling on a common internal hardware design opens up economies of scale for the platform holder.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
With 512mb of storage you could put pretty much all of the snes games you want. Might do it if the process is easy

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The Target I got my switch at is doing the same thing for this, so I will probably have mine tomorrow. That will be fun.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Played a good chunk of Castlevania IV (reached the treasury), a bit of Super Ghouls n' Ghost (up to the level 2 boss) and a good chunk of F-Zero (died in Fire Field like in the good old days!). All three games worked perfectly. I had my TV on game mode and if there was any input lag I did not notice it (though some fast jumps on reversing platforms in Castlevania felt a lot harder than what I remembered). The color / brightness felt a little bit weird in Castlevania (but again that game used a strange palette to begin with), but I felt at home with the other two. There are three video modes with the device: 4:3 (original aspect ratio but stretched pixels), pixel perfect (square pixels but also a slightly deformed image) and CRT filter (original aspect ratio with a touch of blur and fake scan lines). CRT filter is where it's at. It makes a very decent job (though not as glorious as my original console in RGB on an actual CRT). Maybe 4:3 can work if you are very far from your screen? I am not sure. Also, you can't really be far from your screen with the cords provided (see further down)!

The controllers are basically identical than those of the original machine (and I have been playing SFC games for the past couple months). The surface of the controller is just a tiny bit rougher. To clarify, the surface of the original was not smooth, it was slightly rough and on this new controller it is ever so slightly rougher. It is a slight difference and absolutely not an issue. Also it is entirely possible that this difference is only there because this new controller was made a month ago while my SFC controller was made 27 years ago.

Possibly an actual issue for some, the cables of the controllers (at least in the EU version) are not exactly long. They are longer than the original SFC ones (not very hard since those are a miserable 1 meter long), but, at 1.4 meters, they don't win by much! I believe the original european and american controller cords were a lot longer. That being said, to access the menu of the console and manage your save states (4 of those per game with the possibility to rewind 40 sec from the save state point) you have to hit the reset button on the actual unit, so a 8 feet cord would be of little use. I guess you can put the unit far from your TV, but, for that, don't count of the HDMI and USB cables provided (the console is powered by USB so you can use one of those 34 USB port on your TV).

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that I am not happy with is the resolution of the console's menu. Maybe they straight up reused the NES menu or something, but that thing is not pretty and does not scream quality. With the actual ergonomics of the menu I had no issue.

The main goal of this purchase for me was to be able to share some SNES classics with friends and family on their modern TVs. I feel this unit is perfectly able to do this job. We'll see how well said friends and family do theirs! On that note it should be added that, in the EU version, the games are only in english, so some of them will be tougher to play and to enjoy if you are not able to read the language (like, say, my 12 year old nephew might have a tough time with Super Mario RPG).
How's Star Fox 2? Did you unlock it yet?

Szlia

How's Star Fox 2? Did you unlock it yet?
Brought the thing to my gaming buddy who was an Amiga / PC gamer in the '90s and we played like three levels of Star Fox (the game did not age very gracefully, but it's still playable) and it unlocked Star Fox 2 when we got back to the main menu. So I am not sure what the requirement is, but it's not much. We have not tried the game yet though. We were about to call it a night so I just showed him the first couple levels of Super Ghouls And Ghost and then left, leaving the thing at his place so he can try some games and pick what we will play next Thursday. So... not sure about Star Fox 2 just yet!

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Walmart had 48 of them according to the link that Spronk had. I showed up at 12:28am and got #47. The employee behind the counter said they were taking the last one. So much for Nintendo producing enoungh to meet demand??

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Nintendo can suck a fat dick. The market should be flooded with these things.