SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
The part when he lifts his shirt and it says FRANK underneath, I fucking died, no one finds that part funny but it's pure gold to me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You get to play them looking like shit on an HD screen using arcane inputs your TV may not even support

My SNES looks amazing on component. Which is still available on most TV's.

My only comment is why do I see a bunch of 12-25 year olds shooting up the place and playing Call of Duty rehash after rehash and none playing the newest Mario?

Because Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were shit, mostly because the motion controller didn't translate well for platforming... but then Mario has been around for decades.

Sure.

That's why Uncharted 4 sold 8.4 million to Super Mario World 3D's 5.

And even if we take the Wii U dismal install base out of the equation and tilt towards the Wii, Super Mario Galaxy hit 12 million across a 100 million install base.

The last of us hit 8 million.

Mario has completely lost it's edge. Hopefully Odyssey revitalizes it like BOTW did for Zelda, but that remains to be seen. Either way, Mario isn't the end all be all God send IP you are making it out to be. And plenty of other platformers have done it better in the last 3 years - and that's coming from no name indie circuits.

What the fuck are both of you smoking. Mario is an iconic, decades long defined character that has mushrooms with mints being sold at your local head shop. Granted, Mario hasn't had a solid game since (personally) Mario Sunshine, but he still dwarfs the presence of literally any other major character, on any other platform, ever. Sonic, Crash, Lara Croft, even master chief. Hell, I'd even go out on a limb and say Donkey Kong is more recognized, never mind Link.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This is a going to be a fucking shit show 10x worse than the NES last year. Lots of money to be made.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/nintendo-exec-comments-on-snes-classic-supply/1100-6453238/
After the NES Classic was basically impossible to find for many, fans are no doubt wondering what the stock situation will be for the soon-to-launch SNES Classic. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview with Financial Times that Nintendo "dramatically increased" production for SNES Classic stock. He advised people not to pay more than the $80 sticker price on auction sites for the console, suggesting the system will be readily available.

When SNES Classic units opened for pre-order, they were hard to find. Some took this as a sign that SNES Classic, like the NES Classic, would be short on supply. However, Fils-Aime said issues with SNES Classic pre-orders were "outside our control" at retailers. He added that for the SNES Classic, supply is not the issue.

"I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites . . . You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99," Fils-Aime said.

As for the NES Classic shortages, Fils-Aime said Nintendo said the company was not holding back stock on purpose to create an artificial scarcity situation. Nintendo did not produce enough units, Fils-Aime said, because the models that Nintendo looked at for retro consoles from other companies apparently showed they might not be very popular.

okp66FD.gif

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't Reggie just an incompetent cuck that says one thing while Nintendo Japan does the opposite?

• 1Solidarity

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Official Press Release from Nintendo today:

REDMOND, Wash.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Due to incredible demand for the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Editionsystem, Nintendo plans to ship the retro-inspired product into 2018. Originally, shipments were announced to cease at the end of this calendar year.

In addition, more units of Super NES Classic Edition will ship on its Sept. 29 launch day in the U.S. than were shipped of NES Classic Edition all last year, with subsequent shipments arriving in stores regularly. Fans have shown their unbridled enthusiasm for these Classic Edition systems, so Nintendo is working to put many more of them on store shelves.

The Super NES Classic Edition system features 21 legendary Super NES games such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Launching on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of only $79.99, Super NES Classic Edition plugs directly into the TV using the provided HDMI cable, and comes with two wired controllers.

Next summer, Nintendo will also bring back the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system with new shipments. More information about the timing of the return of NES Classic Edition will be announced in the future.

NES Classic Edition features 30 classic NES games such as the original Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong.

That means over a million additional Super SNES will be available on Sept 29 - if their claim of more being available than the total NES Classic shipments in 2017.

Also NES Classic coming back.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
very nice moves by Nintendo, both announcing how many of something they plan on making and bringing back something everyone was angry about being so slightly available. Hope the scalper market suffers hard!

edit: quote from nintendo from another article
Walmart Supercenters will be getting 120 units for tier one markets, 80 units for tier 2 markets, and rural Walmarts getting 30 units. Word around the campfire here in NWA is that Sams Clubs will also be getting significant allotments in their highest performing markets.

I do have a UK version of the SNES on pre order plus one American version, gonna keep both for now but wonder if I should sell the UK one now since it looks different and has an exclusive game. UK/EU version on left, USA on right

912MzHq.jpg

Last edited:

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
That means over a million additional Super SNES will be available on Sept 29 - if their claim of more being available than the total NES Classic shipments in 2017.

Also NES Classic coming back.

I'll believe it when I see it. This is a chance for them to make some money and claw back some reputation.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'll believe it when I can just go to Amazon, search SNES Classic, 1-click buy it for $80 with Prime delivery. Until then I'm skeptical.

Szlia

The european model is suposed to be exactly the same as the american model except you get the superior design (matter of taste) and the superior controllers (unarguable).

spronk

FPS noob
its also ironically cheaper sometimes if you can get it shipped to the USA, at least for the UK one since the pound crashed relative to the dollar and I don't get charged Euro healthcare taxes it came out to like $75 shipped from amazon. Assuming they don't cancel it because it would get exposed to too much freedom.

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

glad there are rumors of nes classic returning - no reason for them not to.

However, that statement of that they looked at sales of other retro consoles and saw they performed poorly - that's true. There was one good retro console and that was an atari one that they made with a cashe of old-new stock 2600 controllers they gutted and stuck a little pcb in and it had like 15 good titles like pitfall, spaceinvaders and adventure.

So I kind of belive that - heck even the mini Sega no one cared about (until nes classic, then I am sure it got a surge just cuz)

I won't buy one unless it's just there in the store- I am putting 0 effort into it, because Nintendo.

spronk

FPS noob
A bunch of people have been reporting that 100-150 units will be arriving at Walmart's and Targets for sale on release date (9/29, next fri) so

1. all of you who are planning on scalping these things may wanna get em from places you can return easily and beware any you have already sold for chargebacks
2. if you want one, maybe keep an eye on warios twitter (Wario64 (@Wario64) | Twitter) and/or plan on going to walmart, target, gamestop, best buy, etc to pick them up

I have one UK edition pre ordered and one from best buy, gonna keep the UK one I think and gift the US one.

Szlia

Scalpers will have a hard time I think. I preodered one several weeks after the announcement at my big local general cultural goods store (books, films, games and tech items around them). I was like 65 on the list so I was a little worried (we are talking 140k people city in Switzerland), and when I asked today they said they will be able to provide one to all the people who pre-ordered.