SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
3rd party doesn't work with Nintendo because Nintendo is a pain in the ass to work with from a financial and logistical perspective. It has nothing to do with "Oh man those 9 heavily anticipated 1st party titles came out over the course of the last 6 years... We will never be able to compete."

When 3rd parties are in the same launch window as a Nintendo 1st party title on Nintendo hardware, the 3rd party gets destroyed in sales. That's all I'm saying.

Licensing costs across the three platforms is pretty uniform now as well, based on indie developer interviews.

Also, EPROM based flash carts are not a mainstream manufacturing method? That's idiotic. Discs as a medium are already dead - nothing in this generation actually use them as games media. I'd be surprised if the next generation isn't all digital or write only cartridge based. The price of flash carts has already gotten cheap enough where it can compete with discs again, and will continue to get cheaper. The physical medium just needs to get the data from the store to your console to be installed on the hard drive anyways, and carts do away with the need for moving parts in your console assuming flash doesn't get cheap enough where they can include SSDs out of the box.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
SSD's are actually starting to get down there though, and the price will probably continue too drop for awhile..

But I'd rather have my Pi with a few 8gb SD cards.. then having some half-ass'd attempts at doing what other people have been doing before even the NES Classic..

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just because you have the power doesn't mean 3rd parties will make games for your hardware - and Nintendo doesn't need it to make great games - so you'd possibly have an expensive powerful console (that Nintendo is taking a loss on most likely) that still only has Nintendo games. The main problem is that 3rd party studios don't want to compete with Nintendo first party software, and the sales data backs that up. That and Nintendo in the past didn't support 3rd party studios with marketing and development support like Sony or Microsoft. That's changed somewhat with the Switch, mainly thanks to nVidia being involved - the Switch supports most major middleware and graphics engines.

The GameCube was powerful and was mostly a failure. The Wii wasn't even HD and it trounced the PS3/360. Power only matters to a point.

To me the main things Nintendo needs to fix is their Accounts system (cloud saves, de-coupling accounts from hardware, etc), online infrastructure (which includes Virtual Console, VoIP, party systems), and their issues with supply and demand for their hardware. Software is the least of their worries.

Bull fucking shit and you know it.

3rd party could give two shits about competing with Nintendo. Sony releases tons of exclusive and first party triple A games. Microsoft does too. Publishers go with the install base. The install base follows the power and online.

The Wii, which imo was the worst successful console in history of modern gaming since the 2600, sold a bunch of Wii Sports and not much else. There were tons of comments on the Wii's lack of power and online along with the oddities of the controls. GameCube also had people commenting on the power, but the hubris of not just using normal fucking DVDs and launching as that retarded purple killed it. Launch it as black or silver while putting DVD capability with a reasonable 1st gen online and it would have been fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sony and MS' 1st party don't really hold a candle to Nintendo's first party. I don't know if I agree with Man0warr completely but I don't think his premise is completely unfounded because Nintendo's 1st party is an absolute juggernaut compared to the other console brands. Sorry but Nathan Drake isn't even 1% as popular as Mario.

• 1Solidarity

Caeden

In reality, you can trace Nintendo's fall directly to the CD-ROM refusal for the N64 and Final Fantasy 7.

If N64 launches with a disc based system and keeps FF7, PlayStation might be in the position Sony is in and MS might never get in the game. This assumes that Nintendo continued to make good, rational decisions and beat Sony.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
When 3rd parties are in the same launch window as a Nintendo 1st party title on Nintendo hardware, the 3rd party gets destroyed in sales. That's all I'm saying.

Licensing costs across the three platforms is pretty uniform now as well, based on indie developer interviews.

Also, EPROM based flash carts are not a mainstream manufacturing method? That's idiotic. Discs as a medium are already dead - nothing in this generation actually use them as games media. I'd be surprised if the next generation isn't all digital or write only cartridge based. The price of flash carts has already gotten cheap enough where it can compete with discs again, and will continue to get cheaper. The physical medium just needs to get the data from the store to your console to be installed on the hard drive anyways, and carts do away with the need for moving parts in your console assuming flash doesn't get cheap enough where they can include SSDs out of the box.

Physical disc isn't going ANYWHERE. 4k with lossless audio tracks in movies and 4k players will be required as more and more internet providers throw up monthly caps. Plus the quality is, bar none, MUCH higher on physical media for movies. There will always be physical game launches.

Also, there is a reason why indie games are damn near 33%-75% higher than their other platform counter parts. And it's due to another increase in licensing fees which Nintendo hushed publishers about, and increased manufacturing costs. Outside of a few 3DS developers, just how mainstream do you honestly think mass producing cart versions of games is? It isn't.

Nintendo Switch keeps getting pricier third-party games

And don't tell me that it's publishers taking advantage of the Switch market and a new console and limited game selection. It isn't true. It's also why Nintendo covers their asses with forcing publishers to sell Digital and physical at the same price, or go digital only of which most want the physical versions which are increasing steadily in sales because of memberships like Amazon Prime and Best Buy gamers club. Which do not apply to digital versions of games.

At any rate, I have heard enough of the Nintendo scapegoats to last a lifetime. Nintendo did this to themselves. And they continue to do it.

Caeden

My only comment is why do I see a bunch of 12-25 year olds shooting up the place and playing Call of Duty rehash after rehash and none playing the newest Mario?

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Sorry but Nathan Drake isn't even 1% as popular as Mario.

Sure.

That's why Uncharted 4 sold 8.4 million to Super Mario World 3D's 5.

And even if we take the Wii U dismal install base out of the equation and tilt towards the Wii, Super Mario Galaxy hit 12 million across a 100 million install base.

The last of us hit 8 million.

Mario has completely lost it's edge. Hopefully Odyssey revitalizes it like BOTW did for Zelda, but that remains to be seen. Either way, Mario isn't the end all be all God send IP you are making it out to be. And plenty of other platformers have done it better in the last 3 years - and that's coming from no name indie circuits.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
134.jpg

• 4Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

Mario has completely lost it's edge. Hopefully Odyssey revitalizes it like BOTW did for Zelda, but that remains to be seen. Either way, Mario isn't the end all be all God send IP you are making it out to be. And plenty of other platformers have done it better in the last 3 years - and that's coming from no name indie circuits.

The best platformer of the last decade is Super Mario Maker, but I guess it can be argued that it is partly in spite of Nintendo!

• 2Picard

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Personally I think DK Tropical Freeze is the best platformer on the U

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
$80? For $5 less you would be better off buying this: Amazon.com: Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Complete Starter Kit

You can play SNES/NES/Gensis and it's trivial to setup a RetroPie.

Yeah. When I couldn't find an NES retro for me and the kids, I decided to "learn" how to do the Pi thing. Took me all of an hour. I was shocked at how easy it was. Even if you know nothing about emulators, it's a simple process to build. And you can buy a tiny SD card and fit hundreds of games on, and finding games is simple.

I get though that most people still don't want to do this...But Nintendo would make a killing if it simply produced a Retro Console like the mini, and then a store for its entire SNES/NES back log like Itunes--99 cents a game. Fuck the hardware, just focus on treating the games like music, and let people collect them all. There is such an enormous demand for retro games, to the point where people will even buy the limited locked in consoles they sell. Imagine if this hardware though gave you access to hundreds of games. (I know I'd pay for it despite having the Retros; simply for reliability/ease of game software.)

SEGA's official Emulator does really well, from what I've heard--and it's cool as shit, too. (No hardware, though, it's all virtual.)

• 1Solidarity