SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
For a fair comparison, Retropie also runs MAME, PS1, N64, etc quite well. No clue on the SNES classic. Retropie has an insane following and support, so it just keeps getting better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
With that said they are clearing so much capital cash/profit "Right now" on these things, they cannot see the greener pastures of a subscription based on going revenue service which they can more easily predict, which would sustain them through 2018 in what appears to be a desert land of content for the Switch. A service like this would pull them through 2020.

I don't even blame them for cashing in on the retro systems (assuming they don't gate the subscription service release). The market for the Classic systems likely includes a large group of people that would ignore the subscription service. I DO blame them for not maximizing their cash-in by actually producing units to meet demand. The secondary market makes them no money and pisses off consumers. But you are correct that a subscription service is the better end-game for them.

They already have the platform built from the NES Classic. They already previewed demand in the debacle of unavailability on that system. How the fuck do they screw the pooch a second time? How the fuck do they not have a plan to push out both Classic systems to meet demand for the 2017 holidays after whiffing last year? HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY THIS GODDAMN INEPT?!

I guess it is also mandatory to remind that a Raspberry Pi 3 + case + SD card + 2 non-garbage controllers + USB cable + HDMI cable is more expensive than a SNES Mini (which you can easily turn into a retropie if you want to, or just add SNES games to its library while keeping the very nice Nintendo UI). Obviously, the big deal is that one is readily available while the other is not.

The RPi 3 kit with 32GB SD card is $70 on Amazon (US), a pair of SNES controller clones that are rated well are <$20 (I paid $17). Everything you need except the controllers is in the kit. The SNES Classic retails at $80.

You are correct (barely) as long as SNES is the only thing you care to emulate and you are willing hack your retail product to add more stuff to its library.

• 1Like

Szlia

Haast Haast I am sorry to inform you that it is very likely your $10 SNES controller clones are not non-garbage :p Also my understanding is that you can update the kernel of the SNES Mini to keep the UI and add other emulators (for NES, Genesis, TG-16, etc - emulation for more recent systems is possibly a bit iffy?).

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, now I feel the need to order a retropie as well. So thanks for that.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Haast Haast I am sorry to inform you that it is very likely your $10 SNES controller clones are not non-garbage :p Also my understanding is that you can update the kernel of the SNES Mini to keep the UI and add other emulators (for NES, Genesis, TG-16, etc - emulation for more recent systems is possibly a bit iffy?).
Ya you can. Just gonna put hackchi/retroarch on mine to load up more SNES games, don't care about Genesis or NES really. I have my fat PSP hacked to play PS1 and GBA games on anyway.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I like the concept of the console, but I don't like the price.

Still ended up getting one as a gift though, and I like how it looks.

Rumours currently going is that there's going to be a gameboy classic coming out, I'd assume it'll be cheaper though.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wouldn't pick up a gameboy classic if all it includes are the toaster gameboy games. Those have not aged well.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Is there a site that's actively updated with an inventory tracker or something? I could swear someone linked one regarding the Switch but I can't find it. I've never seen the classic in stores and it'd be nice to get one if they're still being produced.

Siliconemelons

If your really wanting a snes classic, the targets et al around me have been in Stock fairly good- pm me, just need to pay for it, tax and shipping (I am in 7% sales tax) __ if at target red added 5% off

• 1Worf

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't pick up a gameboy classic if all it includes are the toaster gameboy games. Those have not aged well.
If it has the Final Fantasy Legends it might be worth it. Those are the games that got me into Final Fantasy.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If it has the Final Fantasy Legends it might be worth it. Those are the games that got me into Final Fantasy.

i loved the third one when i was a kid. didn't realize for a long time they weren't even Final Fantasy games in Japan.... they got DokiDoki Panic-ed for the American market... in Japan they were part of the SaGa franchise.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Got a slickdeals notification these were showing up in stock at Walmart with free shipping - I have several gift cards people gave me I never used, so after refreshing my browser multiple times, getting it in my cart only to have it out of stock when I hit place order, etc... I finally grabbed one for about $15 out of my pocket.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users