So My Wife Died...

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Like I said he’s got engineer brain at least on the outside, talking about all the tasks he has to do etc, but you can tell he’s lost emotionally. You reminded me to reach out and check on him, he’s a good dude, but didn’t socialize much bc we were such degenerates.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Like I said he’s got engineer brain at least on the outside, talking about all the tasks he has to do etc, but you can tell he’s lost emotionally. You reminded me to reach out and check on him, he’s a good dude, but didn’t socialize much bc we were such degenerates.
Were?

• 2Worf
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Just stumbled across this thread as I have been a bit distant from this site for the last year or so. I am so sorry for your loss, she sounds like an amazing woman. Reading this thread really hit me hard. My wife has been going through cancer treatments this last year and it’s been a struggle with our two 3 year olds, (one turns 4 this week!) I have found myself thinking about my situation turning into your reality and frankly it hits me with waves of emotions from fear to anger and dispair. So far the treatments have been successful (chemo, radiation and double mastectomy) but now they found “an odd spot” on her lung we are “monitoring” my wife is a planner and made email address for both our kids, which seems like a brilliant idea. She sends them photos and letters (is there a way to back up gmail?) My kids are so mommy dependent I can’t imagine the conversations you must be having, actually that’s not true, when she was diagnosed those thoughts dominated my mind. I took advantage of our corporate benefits and talked to a counselor for a few months and it helped me a lot. I was surprised how much anger I felt about the situation and really needed help working it out (and still do but it’s better now)

i am really in place no to give advice but wanted to echo something already said. I know your focus is on your kids but you can’t neglect yourself. Working from home (as I have for for the last 3 years) is extremely isolating but also has some huge advantages considering your young children. Perhaps some hybrid of home and out would be helpful to reduce the isolation?

it’s interesting 🤨 that I now have “cancer husband friends” that I have made during this process. We chat every once in a while and it feels better to talk it out, Even when talking about horrible things. If you need a random dude to talk to who knows the situation but is far enough removed from your life i could be that dude. Dm me and I will give you my number. It’s weird, sometimes distance creates security when talking about vulnerable stuff…if that makes sense.

You can do this, it’s hard and terrifying but the strength is inside you, nurture it the best you can.

You and your family are in my thoughts.
Ryan

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just stumbled across this thread as I have been a bit distant from this site for the last year or so. I am so sorry for your loss, she sounds like an amazing woman. Reading this thread really hit me hard. My wife has been going through cancer treatments this last year and it’s been a struggle with our two 3 year olds, (one turns 4 this week!) I have found myself thinking about my situation turning into your reality and frankly it hits me with waves of emotions from fear to anger and dispair. So far the treatments have been successful (chemo, radiation and double mastectomy) but now they found “an odd spot” on her lung we are “monitoring” my wife is a planner and made email address for both our kids, which seems like a brilliant idea. She sends them photos and letters (is there a way to back up gmail?) My kids are so mommy dependent I can’t imagine the conversations you must be having, actually that’s not true, when she was diagnosed those thoughts dominated my mind. I took advantage of our corporate benefits and talked to a counselor for a few months and it helped me a lot. I was surprised how much anger I felt about the situation and really needed help working it out (and still do but it’s better now)

i am really in place no to give advice but wanted to echo something already said. I know your focus is on your kids but you can’t neglect yourself. Working from home (as I have for for the last 3 years) is extremely isolating but also has some huge advantages considering your young children. Perhaps some hybrid of home and out would be helpful to reduce the isolation?

it’s interesting 🤨 that I now have “cancer husband friends” that I have made during this process. We chat every once in a while and it feels better to talk it out, Even when talking about horrible things. If you need a random dude to talk to who knows the situation but is far enough removed from your life i could be that dude. Dm me and I will give you my number. It’s weird, sometimes distance creates security when talking about vulnerable stuff…if that makes sense.

You can do this, it’s hard and terrifying but the strength is inside you, nurture it the best you can.

You and your family are in my thoughts.
Ryan

I just might take you up on that.

Also, not sure which kind of breast cancer your wife had - my wife had triple negative, but if you ever want some helpful insight we wracked up a bunch with hindsight being 20/20.

And I don't mean like - Try this Essiac Tea or try a low methionine diet - concrete things to help identify reoccurrence early and other things that (while I have no illusions that they would have cured her) would have definitely extended her life such that she would still be here today, to some exciting clinical trials coming up. We learned a whole lot. If my wife beat it that was one thing she planned to do - create something based on what we'd learned that other women diagnosed with triple negative could use as a resource, because it really is a different animal than the other types.

I hate that I know exactly what your going through, but more importantly I hate that you have to go through it at all.

Also one of the hidden apps I found that my wife was using is called Qeepsake. It has like question prompts and stuff and then you can order a book. The letters she wrote are great but the book is nice in that it can be on a shelf and looked at. It isn't as heavy emotionally. My wife started it well before any of this bullshit. So it would still be good for you guys to have when you get passed the 5 year mark. (For those not in the boob cancer club: when it comes to Breast Cancer if you make it past 5 years without reoccurence the probability drops off a cliff and your life expectancy goes way up).

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for your response.

How are you holding up? I know it seems like a stupid question but here it is.

My wife has ER/PR+HER- which is one of the better ones to get i am told. certainly not the challenge of 3N. its feeds on Estrogen so they have started a heavy hormone therapy which basically starts menopause. A fair trade off for results, especially after we just had our 2 kids. We could not have kids in our 30s, 10 yeas of IVF and tons of treatments. My wife has a theory that all the Fertility treatments might have been part of the issue, however a trade off she would do again. we will never know, but man does this seem like a common issue once you are in that world. Shocking how many people we know suffering with some sort of cancer. She found the lump herself when it was super small, Dr was suprised she found it. Its even crazier to think that she had a top to bottom physical 2 months prior, with a breast exam and blood work. They found nothing. These physicals are rare in Canada as its out side the medical system, (ie not free) my company pays for me as a senior partner so i bucked up and paid for my wife but they still found nothing.. it was DICS however they did find one of her Lymph nodes under her arm tested positive. They removed 21 from her, which frankly was the roughest surgery, even considering the double mastectomy's and just the one positive. That one is rough because it sounds like we caught it super early, however it had already spread a tiny bit out of the breast so that worry of spreading is still present. On the whole she is doing well. IN Canada they also pay for the Breast reconstruction so she just finished that last month and is heeling well. We joke about Justin Trudeau buying her new boobs. Our kids are pretty oblivious outside of DR visits and Hospitals stays that have been rather short. , so that is a bit of a saving grace through this process.

As mention if you just want to chat feel free to reach out, i would imagine you have a lot on your plate so no worries if not.

I am thinking about you, and i know so are the guys on this board that have posted.
Stay strong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for your response.

How are you holding up? I know it seems like a stupid question but here it is.

My wife has ER/PR+HER- which is one of the better ones to get i am told. certainly not the challenge of 3N. its feeds on Estrogen so they have started a heavy hormone therapy which basically starts menopause. A fair trade off for results, especially after we just had our 2 kids. We could not have kids in our 30s, 10 yeas of IVF and tons of treatments. My wife has a theory that all the Fertility treatments might have been part of the issue, however a trade off she would do again. we will never know, but man does this seem like a common issue once you are in that world. Shocking how many people we know suffering with some sort of cancer. She found the lump herself when it was super small, Dr was suprised she found it. Its even crazier to think that she had a top to bottom physical 2 months prior, with a breast exam and blood work. They found nothing. These physicals are rare in Canada as its out side the medical system, (ie not free) my company pays for me as a senior partner so i bucked up and paid for my wife but they still found nothing.. it was DICS however they did find one of her Lymph nodes under her arm tested positive. They removed 21 from her, which frankly was the roughest surgery, even considering the double mastectomy's and just the one positive. That one is rough because it sounds like we caught it super early, however it had already spread a tiny bit out of the breast so that worry of spreading is still present. On the whole she is doing well. IN Canada they also pay for the Breast reconstruction so she just finished that last month and is heeling well. We joke about Justin Trudeau buying her new boobs. Our kids are pretty oblivious outside of DR visits and Hospitals stays that have been rather short. , so that is a bit of a saving grace through this process.

As mention if you just want to chat feel free to reach out, i would imagine you have a lot on your plate so no worries if not.

I am thinking about you, and i know so are the guys on this board that have posted.
Stay strong.
Overall ups and downs.

My son's fear at bedtime continues. The strategy that's been working is when I tuck him in I hold him real tight and make him repeat after me. I am calm, I am safe, nothing is going to happen to me, nothing is going to happen to dad, nothing is going to happen to his sister. We are OK. I don't need to be afraid. I need a good night's sleep. Then I go in after a minute, then 2 minutes, and so on until 5 minutes. Today I started at 2 minutes and jumped to 4. It's like cry it out sleep training all over again. At least its something. Also, we now have to play Time After Time on repeat for him to stay calm. Unfortunately the version I picked when I said: "Play Time After Time - Acoustic" is a shitty version with Sarah Mclachlan and at the end they do these weird runs which are fucking terrible. My daughter and I are over it but my son has "imprinted" on it at this point and I think we're stuck with it.

It has come to light that my daughter does not believe my wife is dead / gone. As much as she was reciting the words I spoke to her the day after mom died it's just too much for her to understand. What she really believes is that mom is sick and at the hospital and is going to get better. When I correct her and say no, mom died she isn't coming back, she gets super angry about it. Kids that age you have to be very blunt. Saying mom is sleeping, or she is in heaven, or even that she passed away is too confusing to them. Anyways it sucks.

Personally, I'm still having a hard time as expected. When friends aren't over or when they leave and I'm alone its the hardest. Looking at certain pictures is really hard. Ones where she's looking in to the camera. She's just so alive. I remember being there with her when I look at pictures and I just don't know what the fuck I was doing. And don't get me wrong. Our marriage was great, we had a great relationship, we never fought, I preferred hanging out with her to pretty much anyone else. She wasn't bitchy (unless she hadn't eaten), or jealous, or manipulative. She was wonderful. We genuinely were each other's favorite person. What I mean is, I don't know why we wasted so much time. Why I didn't spend more time holding her and doing things with her and all of that.

She worked until February 22nd. I worked until April 11th. We both knew it was triple negative. We never got a good scan. We never had a single chemo that worked. And yet we kept living our lives like nothing had changed when there was never any reason to think that we weren't tied to the tracks with the locomotive barrelling towards us.

It seems so obvious now. I can only liken it to life before kids and after kids. They say you can't imagine what its like being a parent until you are a parent. Well maybe someone out there can but I certainly couldn't until I had kids of my own. Its like seeing the world in a whole new way. Feeling things more strongly than you ever have before. I look at news stories about families differently. I can't even watch fucking Law and Order SVU anymore.

Before my wife died I didn't think about or realize how much time we wasted after her diagnosis, how many missed opportunities to be together with each other or with our kids instead of bogged down in bullshit. An extra kiss. Us being together talking rather than hunched over our computers. Since her passing it's as clear as day. People will say: "You two had a great marriage and loved each other so much - focus on that." And while that's true and nice of them to say, at the same time I say fuck that. I know I can't change the past but I think it's OK to realize and wish I'd done things differently, because there are still people in this world that I love, and I hope I take the hurt I'm feeling over this realization with my wife and apply it to my life going forward. If I don't I'm a dipshit.

My wife also had IVF. They say that probably doesn't cause triple negative but who the hell knows. The chemo put her in to menopause too. You guys sound a lot like us. She felt a lump in early December. It was the size of a pea. She called and they said it was probably a cyst or a clogged milk duct and dragged their feet. By the Time she was seen and had an ultrasound it was weeks later and it was the size of an egg. She had had a top to bottom physical as part of us getting life insurance 2 months beforehand. (Currently the insurance company is investigating it because they are in the 2 year look back period. I had to have an hour and half interview and provide our financials - just add another stressful PITA on the pile). When they did the mastectomy it had spread to 2 lymph nodes but they elected not to do the full dissection. How long ago was your wife's procedure? For Tori it was in May of last year and then around February of this year all the fucking nerves and shit started coming back online. She said it was the most pain she had ever experienced (including all the other cancer stuff and child birth). Hopefully that doesn't happen to your wife but be on the lookout around the 8 - 10 month mark. It is good that she has a hormone positive cancer there are a lot more effective treatments at their disposal to treat her with.

We should catch up offline but before I forget - ask your oncologist about CTDNA testing. They take a sample of the physical tumor that was removed, sequence it, and then look for the tumor DNA in your wife's blood. We used Signatera - They want to become the standard so they aren't charging anyone for the test right now (at least they weren't but that's easily confirmed) but there are several out there. My wife had her blood drawn for it monthly. After her mastectomy we had 3 months of clear tests. In the 4th month it showed an extremely small amount of tumor DNA in her blood. We had a scan a week later and found the first met in her left lung. She wasn't due for her scheduled PET or CAT for another 2.5 months at that point. It allowed us to know much much sooner. Granted in the end it didn't matter for fuck all but had her cancer been less of an asshole it might have meant a lot. Also according to the rep when we talked to them at the time, it didn't matter how much DNA showed up. If it showed up at all, everyone (at that point) with a positive test had a reoccurance within 8 to 12 months.

Anyway, thanks for reaching out and keep doing what you're doing. One day at a time and all that.

• 7Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 9 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This was a punch to the feels.

You seem like a genuinely good dude. All the best to you and your family.

• 1Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tomorrow is my son's fifth birthday. This weekend was his family party. Next weekend is the ones with the kids from his pre-school. Tomorrow the only gift he will receive is the first one from mom. Along with the letter I have to read to him.

I've already told him. I wanted him to be prepared. I also let him know it isn't toys, or anything plastic and silly like what he received on Saturday.

It is a locket with a picture of mom and him in it to hang on his backpack when he goes to kindergarten, this other thing that goes on his backpack, and the first box from a monthly subscription to this engineering for kids kit. He's always loved that kind of stuff but was too little until now. We have 3 of the kits at this point.

The letter is probably a hundred words. I've tried to practice it. It is harder to read than my eulogy. I may decide to post it here, I'm just so impressed by her. Now that she's gone I can't imagine what it took to write these letters. Especially the early ones.

Yesterday went OK overall. It was the typical family party whirlwind. Her mother has gone down hill precipitously. She handed me a card with a check in it. After I thanked her, she grabbed my arm and said - "Don't wait to cash this." I don't know how long she has but it can't be long. I don't know how the fuck I'm going to tell the kids. When my brother in law took her home she was bawling as the car pulled away. I know it's because she thinks its the last time she'll see my kids.

My father's dementia has also kicked up a notch. He gets pissed at my mom AND my brother and doesn't know who anyone is anymore. He tried to put a party hat on and it got stuck facing forward like a unicorn. I was across the room and said "Nice look dad!". He smiled and said back to me in a room full of kids and family "Seig Hiel!". Oh and he was also sitting next to our babysitter who happens to be Jewish. Awesome. He doesn't have any of those leanings and I know he was trying to make a joke, but yeesh. Coulda done without that.

It wasn't until everyone left and the kids were in bed that it hit me like a fucking freight train and I broke down. It just fucking sucks.

Speaking of eulogy I can't imagine anyone would want to watch this, but apparently a bunch of people I don't know have. So fuck it.

Here is my eulogy to my wife. If you're bored and are too lazy to punch yourself in the nuts repeatedly - you can watch this instead.

Thanks again for letting me dump this shit here.

Last edited:
  • 9Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 12 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reading this was..challenging. At the same time I'm really in awe of her. I just had to read it, she had to write it. Along with all the others. I don't know how she did it.

I posted this to Facebook, I don't think I'll post any others, but I was so proud of her I wanted her family and friends to see.

She had to type them out because her handwriting had gone to shit. Fucking cancer takes everything.

358096740_140790815696942_3224839314867706832_n.jpg

• 17Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 17 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I can't imagine having to read that to my kids. My dad wrote a letter for mine just before he died, and it kills me to read that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
So updates as of today.

My wife's mother's cancer is in the endgame and she's gone downhill precipitously this week. I knew it was serious when she stopped responding to Facetime calls from the kids which we do every Monday / Wednesday / Saturday and she really looks forward to. She also wasn't replying to my texts. One of which was about my wife which I know she would have responded to if able.

The really hard part is we have been planning for over a month to go down to Rhode Island to visit her. Her husband was sick for 20 years before he passed. He worked in banking and moved firms a lot in that time. Everywhere he went he'd buy whatever company life insurance policy didn't require a physical / medical review and hold on to it. When he died she was left a sizeable chunk of money. Last fall she took a huge portion of it and bought a beach house. It was always their dream. There were some existing short term renters on the books but rather than cancelling she didn't want to make waves. So she's never had any family there yet this summer. This was supposed to be the first weekend. She's never going to get to use it. Never have the family gathering she wanted. She's sick enough that her son's are no longer letting their kids see her. So I know its bad.

It was the same with her husband and my wife. He took 1 month of long term disability before he died. He should have stopped working years beforehand. My wife should have stopped working the second the cancer came back, but she didn't because she wanted to be eligible for long term. She never even sniffed at it. And now, her mom is going to pass before ever staying in the beach house she always wanted.

I guess the moral here and the take away I'm trying to internalize myself is: Live your life. Whatever that means to you. Fuck working too much, fuck being annoyed when the kids run in to the office when you're working (this is one of mine), fuck all the things that don't matter. You don't have to give up all your responsibilities and travel the world but you also don't have to wait to do more or make more time either. I'm trying to remind myself every day. My wife and I wasted so much fucking time and for the life of me I can't come up with a good reason as to why.

Regarding the text about my wife: For months now based on the symptoms my wife exhibited the day she passed (along with steady worsening liver numbers) I had assumed it was her liver that gave out. I got a hold of the ER doctors info from that day and reviewed it with her oncology team and it wasn't her liver. It was the thing they had feared would get her all along, that the tumor in her lung was compressing her heart. It did and by extension caused her organs to fail. It messed me up for a day or so, I don't know why. The end result was the same.

The kids are doing OK (at least until I have to tell them that Nona died).

My son finally was able to have a counseling session thing today. I was sceptical if it was actually needed but then some of the responses to the woman asking the questions really caught me off guard.

My daughter keeps telling me and anyone else that Mommy died. Now she says, Mommy went to the hospital and now she died for a while. I've tried to ask her whether she means mom has been dead for a while or whether she thinks her being dead is something she's going to eventually come back from. Inconclusive so far.

I know I mentioned I'm terrified of being alone in a little over a month when the kids go to school and on the heals of the Nona news I need something to distract them with and bring some new energy in to the house.

So I'm doing this (which probably means I'm retarded):

image.jpg

• 10Solidarity
  • 5Like
Reactions: 14 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That is the opposite of retarded. A dog's friendship can heal your soul like nothing else. I know from experience.

• 8Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 9 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is the opposite of retarded. A dog's friendship can heal your soul like nothing else. I know from experience.

Sorry, I just meant having a 2 and a half year old and a 5 year old by myself that I can barely handle and then adding a puppy in to the mix. I think the dog itself will be great.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Dude, you are clearly thinking things through. You're thoughtful, you're careful, you clearly care about your kids and the rest of your family. I'd say you're really doing very well given the situation you've been stuck in.

Good for you. Carry on. Love on your kids.

• 3Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sorry, I just meant having a 2 and a half year old and a 5 year old by myself that I can barely handle and then adding a puppy in to the mix. I think the dog itself will be great.
No worries, you have a point. It will be a little extra work at first, but will be so much worth it. Dogs are awesome. I have three of them which is probably retarded.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I'm just gonna chime in and say the only time a puppy is a bad idea is if you're stupid and living in an apartment and can't take care of it.

Other than that, it's literally always a good idea to own a dog.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I'm just gonna chime in and say the only time a puppy is a bad idea is if you're stupid and living in an apartment and can't take care of it.

Other than that, it's literally always a good idea to own a dog.

It can be tough to take care of a new puppy while also taking care of two preschoolers, for many it means the puppy gets less attention than it needs.
In normal situations its not always a good idea, however i think it makes a ton of sense here.

What did you name it KD?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Good move on the dog.

Good point on the "living your life" part too. We're taught to always sacrifice for the future and we need to do that, but you have to enjoy your life from day to day as well. No one is guaranteed a retirement no matter how responsible they are financially. There's a rich guy that bought a small ranch in my neighborhood. Really pretty spot in the trees and set it all up as a hunting property. He was a welder who started a construction company in the oilfield during the big North Dakota boom and made a ton of money. Built a giant log house, a big-ass heated shop where he could do metal work and blacksmithing in the winter time. They were both just about finished a couple years back and he caught Covid and died at 70. I'm sure he was planning on another 10 years or so in his little dream setup but no such luck. To be cheesy and quote "Fight Club". "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users