Soccer 2014 - 2015

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>

Maul

Dental Dammer
You must have missed the recent posts about UTD wage bills being higher than everyone bar City
What relevance is that to what I posted? Aside from 5ish players everyone else earns less than Glen Johnson.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That was before Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, B?be, B?ttner and Macheda left.
Honestly, is that the best you can do?

Yes, I'm sure the likes of the invisible trio Bebe/Buttner/Macheda were the reason UTD have a higher wage bill than Chelsea. Same goes for the OAP crew Giggs and Ferdinand.

Jesus wept - a UTD fan actually referenced BEBE! and thought that would support his argument. Come back PKS all is forgiven!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
What relevance is that to what I posted? Aside from 5ish players everyone else earns less than Glen Johnson.
And yet now that Suarez is gone, nobody at LFC will even come close to RVP (?250k) or Rooney (?300k).

In fact, according to the BBC, Suarez didn't even reach ?200k a weekBBC Sport - Luis Suarez signs new long-term Liverpool deal

"Suarez, whose original deal was set to expire in 2016, will earn around ?160,000 until the end of this season and then ?200,000 per week over the final four years of the contract. "

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Why are you highlighting certain players? UTD wage bill is higher than everyone else in PL except City. I could sit here and reel off LFC youth player salary after LFC youth player salary, it won't change the fact LFC have a higher wage bill than 75% of the PL

Maul

Dental Dammer
Why are you highlighting certain players? UTD wage bill is higher than everyone else in PL except City. I could sit here and reel off LFC youth player salary after LFC youth player salary, it won't change the fact LFC have a higher wage bill than 75% of the PL
And so what, They are the most successful club in the last 20 years by a huge margin, Turnover is what, 175% of liverpools, without sponsorship deals. Oh no they can pay star players a large wage! Manchester Uniteds wages as a % of turnover is also one of the lowest in the league.

Exactly what point are you even trying to make?

I cant be arsed to look it up, but haven't Liverpool spent more on transfers in the last 10 years as well?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Is money usually the biggest topic of discussion among soccer fans?

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Just Liverpool fans, because the last time they won a league, they were still listening Vanilla Ice.
frown.png

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
Really hoping Jovetic can remain as injury free as possible this season. He's a cracking player. Been the stand out player pre-season for City.

I'm also getting really concerned about Aguero. He was made of glass last season. And then got done in with injuries in the world cup.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Van Gaalogy 101

Grantland has some seriously decent writers working over there. This and the Suarez piece from the summer were both really well done. Hope they continue to write soccer articles through the year, not just in the summer of a WC year.

PKS

N00b
Is money usually the biggest topic of discussion among soccer fans?
Not really, just it's preseason and not much is going on. No real big news on transfers lately and the friendlies don't get much attention other than from the individual club supporters. Finances sometimes get a nod when a club releases its yearly accounts, or if Deloitte makes a fuss with its yearly report. The general gist of it in a very quick & dirty run down: 3 notable clubs are owned by Oil Billionaires - Man City, PSG, Chelsea - they have unrivaled cash expenditures that previously didn't get pause for the clubs wage costs until UEFA, the Governing body for Europe, placedfinancial restrictionswhichs limits a club spending to a percentage of it's revenue. They can still afford to pay high wages, spend big on transfers and over the last decade have been a factor in the ever inflating wage bill.

Leagues have different rules; i.e. how many non Europeans you can sign, how you can sign them & IF you can even sign them, how many national players have to be in the 25-man squad, TV money distribution (i.e. Madrid/Barcelona receive a hugely advantageous TV deal), and obvious Government tax rates, loan structures and club management practices - some clubs are owned by their fan base and vote in a council/president to run things. That type of club can reinvest 100% of it's revenue into the club whilst another club with business owners would perhaps not.

All in all, it's a bit of a melting pot of different practices, rules, finances and styles of ownership. The saving grace however is that none of this gives you any real idea about who is going to win a league. The biggest spenders do indeed regularly feature in the top end, but it's no guarantee of a title or cup. And it's only getting tighter in the Premier league!

Speaking of friendlies; United vs Liverpool coming up tomorrow night! Don't know how LFC topped the other group but United have been on a superb roll with the new set up.
It's nearly pointless to compare pre-season friendlies and results, but Unitedhavelooked fantastic in all their matches so far. I watched last years preseason and it was near enough like the rest of Moyes campaign - some poor results, bad defending and stifled attacks. Back then, people could write it off in hopes of improvement but then they had that season anyway. Hopefully this can transition well into the new season.

United mostly need a centreback signing or 2 - the midfield can wait until the player they want becomes available. At the back with the 3/5/2 it's imperative they get new cover - there is only 3 first team players available and of those 3, Jones & Smalling rarely get through a set of games without some injury.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Speaking of friendlies; United vs Liverpool coming up tomorrow night!Don't know how LFCtopped the other group but United have been on a superb roll with the new set up.
It's nearly pointless to compare pre-season friendlies and results, but Unitedhavelooked fantastic in all their matches so far. I watched last years preseason and it was near enough like the rest of Moyes campaign - some poor results, bad defending and stifled attacks. Back then, people could write it off in hopes of improvement but then they had that season anyway. Hopefully this can transition well into the new season.

United mostly need a centreback signing or 2 - the midfield can wait until the player they want becomes available. At the back with the 3/5/2 it's imperative they get new cover - there is only 3 first team players available and of those 3, Jones & Smalling rarely get through a set of games without some injury.
Funny.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Tasty little pre-season fixture tonight - you brits staying up for it? Just checked local listings, didn't realize it was at 7pm cst. Meaningless game, but should make for some fun banter afterwards, hahaha.