Soccer 2014 - 2015

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It's pretty amazing to say the least. You figure he'll be given to the end of the year but it seems like every game now he just makes choices that are terrible whereas last year he couldn't do anything wrong. Mignolet may be done with LFC after this year but there is no fucking way he's not better than Jones even as bad as he's been. The fucker just dove out of the way for goals 1 and 3, fucking terrible.

PKS

N00b
If we played the "if we had xyz available" you would lose this battle. And when you said it's the worst performance you've seen from United, you clearly didn't watch last weeks at Southampton or Arsenal, or the early season matches. It was pretty decent in comparison but the problem still stems from the backlog of defensive injuries creating a massive amount of uncertainty and mistakes at the back, gifting LFC those chances over and over. Carrick as a make shift CB outperformed any other defender this season with composure and ball playing ability, but that's what the teams forced into doing along with Young/Valencia as make shift wingbacks.

Szlia

We have the round of 16 of the Champions' League:

Shakhtar
vs
Bayern Munich

FC Basel
vs
Porto

Paris SG
vs
Chelsea

Juventus
vs
Dortmund

Schalke 04
vs
Real Madrid

Bayer
vs
Atl?tico Madrid

Arsenal
vs
Monaco

Man City
vs
Barcelona

Strange draw. It seems several smaller teams should be able to find themselves in the next round. Potentially 5 german speaking teams in the Top 8 (though Shalke has a tough job).

The matches are in mid february, so who knows in what state these teams will be by then.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finally a favorable draw. Was fully expecting Bayern there at the end, but luck was on our side. Now watch us go out there and get walloped!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
If we played the "if we had xyz available" you would lose this battle. And when you said it's the worst performance you've seen from United, you clearly didn't watch last weeks at Southampton or Arsenal, or the early season matches. It was pretty decent in comparison but the problem still stems from the backlog of defensive injuries creating a massive amount of uncertainty and mistakes at the back, gifting LFC those chances over and over. Carrick as a make shift CB outperformed any other defender this season with composure and ball playing ability, but that's what the teams forced into doing along with Young/Valencia as make shift wingbacks.
No, the Southampton and Arsenal games were away so it's somewhat understandable to be on the back foot. This was at OT so I would say it was a worse performance than those games. I agree that you could do "what if" scenarios all day long, I'd argue Sturridge would have made a greater impact than any injured ManU player but it really just speaks to how badly Balotelli has failed.

PKS

N00b
Yes, that argument works when you only compare 1 unavailable player only. But I make my point regarding the fact United have had 0 defenders consistently available for the entire season, with Shaw - Evans - Rojo - Smalling - Jones - Rafael, and Blind & Carrick. A back 4 of Rafael/Jones/Rojo/Shaw I think would have done tremendously better but even then they still need more matches to settle into some sort of form. For that reason I don't expect LvG to go spending any cash over January for any defenders, not until they've really proven themselves hopeless with injuries.

Incidentally; Todays Sky's MNF featured some heavy match analysis: DDG is a beast in many ways, United have better finishers, LFC's defencive issues are perhaps systemic rather than individual and while LFC is creating as many errors as United is, at least DDG is there to 'save' a greater deal. But the question posed is whether or not it's LFCs defensive drilling (from a coaching aspect f.e.) or simply Lovren. Yes, Lovren is causing more problems with individual errors - but his positional errors which don't show up as 'individual errors' statistically were overlooked last season have continued also.

For me, I'm content. I have to place some blind faith on the injuries to not reoccur in such a way (because what are the odds?), United can still score goals at ease without the likes of Di Maria (as opposed to last season snooze fests with the same players). LFC displayed no intent on catching up to Utd's top 4 finish, but saying that everyone else is also not showing any intent so who the fuck knows anymore. Phil Nevilles saying Utd can win the title, he must be fucking high.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Those defenders your mentioning suck just as bad as anything Lovren is putting out. How many times did Rojo just gift the ball to a Southampton player, 4 or 5? DDG has really been your saving grace. Lovren is a joke, enough said.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah I saw that yesterday. How did nobody know he didn't have a license for that long? Seems idiotic all the way around.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Welp, here's to Europa league glory once Sturridge returns in the 15-16 year......

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That was an awful match between a couple of shite teams.... Chambers and mert were particularly awful. Sigh....

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Funnily enough that was probably the best LFC has played since the game at Spuds, we just have no one that can finish. If Coutinho could shoot at all he would have had a hat trick yesterday with the positions he was getting in instead of just the one goal. Skrtel ended up with a negative +/- stat if this was hockey.....

Edit: The most amazing thing about this year as well is that we actually have the most expensive starting defensive group in the league yet any ball in the box is just asking for the other team to score at will. The last 3 games we've conceded 6 shots on target but all 6 were goals, that's ridiculous. I'd almost have to agree with how RM, Barca and Bayern spend in that almost every penny should just go to attackers. If your D is going to be suspect regardless of what you spend then fuck it.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
KNphNMs.png

l23gUm0.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya love the Xmas period - Friday and Sunday. In other news, little sister is flying in tomorrow and bringing her pool supporting soon to be fianc?........ Should be interesting. I bought the fucker a Sanchez jersey!!!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What a weird day of results. Mourinho is now claiming there is a campaign against Chelski and giving penalties even though Cesc dove like a swan today which just follows Cahill's from the last game. Hilarious.

As an LFC fan seeing the bitters falling apart is at least some comfort.
wink.png

PKS

N00b
Weird set of results no doubt from less than 48 hours to play a consecutive match. Ordinarily a 'fair' thing if all teams get the same, but that's not the case.