Soccer 2014 - 2015

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So, looks like Chelsea scores an easy win over Wycombe and Liverpool went down to Brodby overnight. Never good to lose, but it's pre season who doesn't really matter.
1 out of 11 was a starter, it meant shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Also that propelled the Mannschaft from going home after group stage in 2000 to wc winners this year.
Not denying that the English game needs serious examination, in a similar way to the German team or the Belgian teamBelgium's blueprint that gave birth to a golden generation | Stuart James | Football | The Guardian

But it will still be up to the clubs to choose whether to implement a specific formation across all youth teams to the senior team, like Barcelona/Ajax. The work Benitez did in revamping LFC youth setup was highly regarded, he appointed Jose Seguara and Rodolfo Borrell, both of whom had worked at La Masia. Yet since Rodgers took over both have left and Borrell is now at Man City - differences in opinion/style to Rodgers? And that's what I mean - the FA can make all the recommendations it wants, but ultimately it is up to the clubs to decide how to implement those ideas.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Interesting snippet I saw this morning from Richard Keys, former presenter of Sky Sports football coverage for many years

"Spending time with David Moyes was fascinating. Listening to his side of the story you can't help but feel for him. My view is that he was well and truly tucked. And the three guys who did more than most to bury him know who they are. So does he."Richard Keys Personal Website - Post WC and what's happening next -

He also tweeted that Ryan Giggs will be Man Utd manager within 18 monthsTwitter / richardajkeys: Make a note of the date. I ...

That would make a lot of sense, Louis van Gaal doesn't tend to spend too long in a job and is known for laying very strong foundations for someone else to carry on his work.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
But it will still be up to the clubs to choose whether to implement a specific formation across all youth teams to the senior team, like Barcelona/Ajax. The work Benitez did in revamping LFC youth setup was highly regarded, he appointed Jose Seguara and Rodolfo Borrell, both of whom had worked at La Masia. Yet since Rodgers took over both have left and Borrell is now at Man City - differences in opinion/style to Rodgers? And that's what I mean - the FA can make all the recommendations it wants, but ultimately it is up to the clubs to decide how to implement those ideas.
Imho the formation your national youth and senior teams keep playing being consistent is much more important than any local clubs youth to senior teams.
Heck even pros keep changing their playstyle and positions in the same team according to managers observation and their changing skillset (eg. Durm: striker -> LB or Schweinsteiger: winger -> central midfielder).

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Dortmund can't help but pick up talented young players for dirt cheap. Ginter for 10m is excellent business. Hummels out?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Carrick out for 2-3 months. That midfield is absolutely dire - need at least another to pair w/ Herrera, preferably 2. Tick tock.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Most likely going to be Vidal. I would be fine with someone like William Carvalho, but Sporting are asking a bit too much for him.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Carvalho is good - wish he'd have gotten more games at the World Cup to see if he's really worth what the asking price is. If you could get Vidal for 10m more than Carvalho that's a no-brainer. Portugese teams always seem to overprice their talent. Will be interesting to see in the coming weeks what really went down w/ Conte and Juventus....

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
According to ManUre fans Carrick is the best CM in the history of footie. Guess their season is already over now before it even started.

The only way Vidal is going to ManU is if they pay him Rooney type wages, he's already stated if he goes he wants to go to a CL team and with ManU's defense as it stands I think that is going to be a stretch unless RvP and Rooney have amazing seasons.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Well, time for me to participate in the new season thread. Come on you Spurs!

Realistically, I think our aim this season would be 4th but I think we will fall a bit short of that target.

Chelsea and Man City are locked on for the first 2 spots in my opinion. Chelsea has strengthened their squad immensely this summer. Costa if he shows any bit of form whilst played for A. Madrid will be a massive upgrade on Torres. Courtois is a upgrade on Cech. Luis will be a solid replacement for Ashley Cole. Fabragas will strengthen their midfield even more and will fill the void left by Lampard.

Their midfield on paper is comparable to Real Madrid's. Fabragas, Willian, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Ramires. That is a scary midfield.

Arsenal I think might get 3rd this season by adding some good signings too.

4th I think will be a battle between Man Utd (depending on which other players Van Gaal will bring in and they will bring in more players) and Liverpool. Liverpool I think might struggle to replicate their last season form. We will see.

Spurs are lagging behind these teams. The PL is so competitive at the moment and breaking into the top 4 means getting teams comparable to City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool.

To be honest, I will be happy with 5th place with clear signs of improvement for next year whilst working towards being financially competitive with above mentioned teams by the imminent building of our new 55,000+ stadium.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Rio Ferdinand signs for QPR on a free transfer.

'Arry does know how to do a bit of good business. Rio might not cut it for top teams any more but he will be a great defender for teams like QPR who will be fighting for survival. He can still do a good job in defence and is great addition to a side especially when he didn't cost anything to sign.

Interesting video about what goes on during a footballer's medical and transfer procedure.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've grown to really like Rio this summer during his World Cup work - saw the Rio in Rio deal a few nights ago and enjoyed it. He's definitely past it in terms of playing for a top team, but think he could do a job at QPR.

Any comings/goings at Spurs this summer?! Interested to see Pochettino this season - think top 4 is probably out of the question, but he's a great young manager. Also, I'd agree with your assessment on where the teams stand TODAY - Chelski seem clear favorites to me, and Yaya is staying at MCFC so they'll be strong as well. Arsenal need another strong MF, a backup GK and a CB imo to have any chance. Sanchez was a terrific signing, but he's not enough to win the league.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just found out that there's an Arsenal bar a short walking distance from my apartment. This is great. Watching soccer with a bunch of other drunken buffoons is way better than alone.

bag_gooners3-1024x685.jpg

They even have their ownwebsite. Pretty large group of supporters for a team that's around 7,000 miles away!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I try not to say too much as people get all wrapped up in who signs who, forgetting the fact that at best 50% of signings don't work out at all. This time last year Neki was probably thinking Spuds were in with a title shout, little did he know Lamela was a little bitch who cried for having to come to England with the rest of the signings not being much better.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Just found out that there's an Arsenal bar a short walking distance from my apartment. This is great. Watching soccer with a bunch of other drunken buffoons is way better than alone.

They even have their ownwebsite. Pretty large group of supporters for a team that's around 7,000 miles away!
Yeah, pretty sure I suggested this in the WC thread. Most major English teams have supporter groups in the big cities here in the US. Nothing like getting up to get drunk at 5am!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I've been there! Great crowd and good group of folks. I was there 3 years ago for a CL match and there was a group of pretty funny, obviously gay Gooners - were wearing rainbow colored shorts with their Arsenal tops, ha.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Selling Borini for 12m and buying Remy for 8.5 seems like a nice upgrade and profit at the same time.
Nice to chalk up a win over night, though again means nothing. I do like to see Preston play though since that's the suburb I live in on the other side of the world!

Maul

Dental Dammer
According to ManUre fans Carrick is the best CM in the history of footie. Guess their season is already over now before it even started.

The only way Vidal is going to ManU is if they pay him Rooney type wages, he's already stated if he goes he wants to go to a CL team and with ManU's defense as it stands I think that is going to be a stretch unless RvP and Rooney have amazing seasons.
Scholes maybe, doubt you have heard any saying Carrick is. Still at least you have the new Zidane (lol).

Emre Can 'better than Zinedine Zidane and Yaya Toure' claim Liverpool fans after 20 minutes of debut | Metro News