Soccer 2014 - 2015

darkseid_sl

shitlord
So quiet in here now...

Anywho, Real Madrid are about to make the biggest mistake ever and sign Rafa Benitez as their manager. This is gonna be glorius.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What is there to talk about until the CL final now? All the leagues already have their champions and I don't think anybody here is a fan of any of the relegation teams.

Pretty sure Rafa will win something with RM, though that won't matter for their shit stain fans just like it didn't for almost every other manager they've had in the last 30 years sans Del Bosque and Mourinho.

PKS

N00b
It could be. But as much as I'd hate to give him credit, he has some history of success along with his failures.

Regardless, with United I can finally breathe again with the top 4 spot confirmed. They did it backwards to get there (winning points versus the top teams, dropping points versus the lower) but can't complain with the position in the end. Expect another massive transfer window as the team still needs another DM, CB, RB and striker. Probably means they'll buy something else...

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Kinda want United to give Hull the win, so Newcastle can get relegated.

Someone should tell Liverpool, that they can lose out on EL, if Southampton and Tottenham win their matches.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was surprised how shit Balotelli was. I was hoping Arsene would sign him prior to getting Welbeck. That would have been a bad call. Talented player for sure but his attitude is fucking terrible.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Please bring Rafa in, the poor mans ancelotti. Pretty pumped for summer xfer window. Twitter should be entertaining!

faille

Molten Core Raider
omg, how shit are Man U? They only beat us 2-1, but Crystal Palace beat us 3-1 and Stoke 6-1!
Man U are shitter than Palace and Stoke! HAHA, what a bunch of losers!

sigh, dear god, what a nightmare....

darkseid_sl

shitlord
This was written by some RAWK user back in August 2014.

Brentie said: ''I've said it before and I got pilloried for it, but I'll say it again.
This is going to be a car crash of a season.
Even had we not sold Suarez, I expected us to suffer a severe hangover from last season. I wrote in May that most teams similar to us (teams that punched above their weight and unexpectedly challenged for a league title but ended up failing), generally suffered from a hangover the season after. fecking hell, I'm nowhere near over not winning it last year. I don't have a clue how we can expect the players to be.
I just don't see, psychologically, how we can "go again". After such highs, can the players go through the mundane few weeks of the season without feeling a major difference? Take the opening game at Anfield vs Southampton. There'll be no welcoming parade. It's back to normality for everyone. Can they accept that without there being an impact?
We have a horrible start to the season, fixtures wise. 2 away trips to City and Spurs is the last thing this team needs so early on. If we have a bad start, I feel there will be a horrible sense of deflation within the fanbase and the squad- from the captain and everyone else. I feel they'll start feeling sorry for themselves over what happened in May, over losing Suarez and it will take a lot of time for us to recover.
Losing Suarez is an absolute nightmare for us. I strongly feel it will have hurt every single one of those players in the squad. A minority on here try to downplay Suarez's importance to us, but I'm sure the players know just how much he brought to the team. You do not lose a player like that and move forwards or sideways (unless you're a team that is used to winning trophies on a yearly basis). Suarez's contribution was not just about goals and assists: it was about fight, sacrifice, dedication and leadership.
I mean, look at this Coutinho interview:
Coutinho was asked what he felt when he was excluded from the Brazil World Cup squad: "Anger. Not because I'm selfish, but because I could have offered something.
I'm going to use this anger and push myself to my limits. I saw how Luisito (Su?rez) was a maniac in training. At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mold it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder."
It's simple psychology. How much did a thumbs up from Luis push Raheem Sterling on? How much was Suarez's acceptance important for someone like Jordan Henderson? How much did Suarez's name on the team-sheet petrify opposing defenses, before a ball was even kicked?
Add that to a host of new players we need to bed in, Champions League football for the first time in 5 years (And the first time in Rodgers' career), and a horrific pre season where we lost key players to injuries, failed to bed in our 3 most expensive signings and missed out on our seemingly only 2 attacking replacements for Suarez (For different reasons), and it doesn't look good at all for us.
Not convinced by our signings at all too. Lovren has had 5 good months in the last 3 seasons (he was basically chased out of Lyon and was poor in the 2nd half of last season). Lambert is passable as a 3rd striker, but is nowhere near suitable for our style of play. We're a Sturridge nigggle away from having him lead the line at the Etihad and White Hart Lane, which would be horrific. Markovic and Can are exciting talents, but we surely can't expect too much from them in their first season at such young ages. Lallana will have missed all of pre season, have had no friendly games to adapt to the team and will be thrust in with a big price tag on his head. Far from ideal.
This term, we'll have the season we all expected us to have last year. We'll challenge for 4th but end up missing out. I'm fine with that, but I suspect the narrative will be that it was a failure and the fact is, that would mean that we went backwards. A bad start, and there will be a huge cloud around Anfield that won't be lifted for a while.
I predict 6th. No doubt that many will call me a moaning and negative bastard but that's what I expect. Hopefully we'll get a cup run to set the pulses racing, but I foresee a season of transition for us.''
Do Liverpool fans agree?

Chris

Potato del Grande
He obviously isn't taking into account the great history of the club and the passion of the fans in that great city etc etc

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
This was long overdue. Swiss authorities have now launched "criminal proceedings" into the award of the 2018 (Russia) and 2022 (Qatar) world cups (which the FBI have also been investigating).

Up to 15 officials are understood to be under investigation worldwide, so the arrests on Wednesday morning may be just the start... Swiss police appear to have timed the arrests to occur before Fifa's annual general meeting on Friday, when they knew that a significant number of their suspects would be in the same city. Not just the same city, but the same hotel.
Fifa corruption arrests: key questions answered | World news | The Guardian

Live updates here. My favourite so far:

Incredible chutzpah from De Gregorio [FIFA's spokesman] to claim this is all somehow part of Fifa's "reform process". He's earning his considerable salary.
Fifa corruption charges: senior officials arrested amid World Cup voting inquiry ??" live updates | Football | The Guardian

*edit* Russia's response:
A correspondent for Russia's state-owned Rossiya 24 TV channel has said that Wednesday's arrests are "a US attempt to set a precedent after which they may with a vengeance start demanding that Fifa strip Russia of the right to hold the world championship".