Soccer 2014 - 2015

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Pretty sure there are assistant ref's that have given off-sides just on that, the quality of refereeing hasn't improved since I started watching footy that's for sure. In fact in some way's I'd say its just gotten worse as the players get bigger, faster and stronger. You can't expect 3 set of eyes to catch everything and with the amount of money in the top end of the game it's somewhat galling that systems that allow for in game off-sides and foul checks aren't even considered.

PKS

N00b
When it comes to specifically off-sides MNF did a bit on it not too long ago and they posted some stats about how much improved it is over the years, accuracy rating going up to like 99%+ from 90's over the decade.
rrr_img_89601.jpg

... Okay this kinda bothers me, 99% is too extreme but I can't find any source for the data. Less than 1 in 100 being wrong? Fuck that.
Quick search and this interesting private publication popped up (if anyone has accessTaylor Francis publications.

In the present study, we investigated the accuracy of offside judgements of assistant referees in the English Premier League. The moment in the match, the position and movement speed of the assistant referee, attacker and second-last defender, together with the angle of view for the assistant referee were all considered to underlie incorrect decisions. The error rate was 17.5% (868 of 4960 situations). As the English assistant referees tended not to signal in doubtful situations (c = 0.91), there was an overall bias towards non-flag errors (773 non-flag errors vs. 95 flag errors). The flash-lag hypothesis could explain all flag errors, whereas the optical-error hypothesis could explain a proportion of the non-flag errors (45.4%). Fatigue, movement speed, and angle of view did not have a detrimental effect on offside decision making. In conclusion, there were fewer flag errors than in the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups, whereas the number of non-flag errors rose. The increased awareness of factors involved in offside decision making and the instructions to give the benefit of the doubt to attackers could have contributed to this situation.
It's contradicting that MNF stat, and mentioning how ref's will by far fail to flag in dubious moments while the majority of errors occurred in non-flag moments! Actually look: out of 4960 events, 95 flagged moments were wrong - which is where that 98.08% accuracy rating comes from, so they blatantly ignored the other 775 incorrect calls when no flags occurred. The correct percentage was 82.5% not 99%. I'd like to see the rest of that study one day.

Refereeing decisions however would be a much harder study subject to a degree of bias but I can only imagine it being worse in both respects.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Do you really think Sky is going to shit on the PL with the amount of money they are paying them?

Anyway, Derby this weekend and I guess the Merseyside police are pissed it's a late kick-off as all the bitters at Goodison will be too hard to handle or what? Granted Goodison is a shit hole from what I've been told and could fall down at any minute so maybe there's that.....

Edit:

LOL

B871d63CIAAzQYz.jpg

RUnkxV5.jpg

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
qdAolPr.png

uJxGPGt.png

Interestingly for the title race, Chelsea only have two Par 1's remainingand City have six. Plenty of room in the coming months for City to close the gap and plenty of APLT banana skins for Chelsea to slip up on.

In the race for the top four Liverpool and United have four Par 1's in their next 8 games, the opportunity to race towards that 71 point line is in both their hands.

Spurs only have two P1 games over their next nine, and with the European football rearing its head the possibility of them slipping down the APLT is very real. They finish with four P1 games in their last six, but at that stage the gap may be to big to close.

Arsenal looked to have finally steadied the ship and stopped their gradual slide down the APLT. They have just caught the Saints and are within touching distance of Man City. Two P1's in the next three games gives them the oppurtunity to open up a bit of breathing space on the chasing pack - it might be needed too, only two of their last twelve games are Par 1's.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure there are assistant ref's that have given off-sides just on that, the quality of refereeing hasn't improved since I started watching footy that's for sure. In fact in some way's I'd say its just gotten worse as the players get bigger, faster and stronger. You can't expect 3 set of eyes to catch everything and with the amount of money in the top end of the game it's somewhat galling that systems that allow for in game off-sides and foul checks aren't even considered.
It's hard to tell because their arms go up every single time. I just don't get why they'd do that, you don't run faster throwing a Nazi salute.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Such a dodgy penalty. Would have been the worst way to have gone out.
Thankfully we got a couple of fantastic goals.
Bolton were really under siege at the end there. Whole team in the box while liverpool passed it around and took shots.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Can is such a stud, 10m pounds for him and 8.5m for Coutinho. Fucking robbery.....

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What a terrible game, guess it was bound to happen at some point. Gained a point on Arse but could lose ground depending on the results tomorrow.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Fantastic win, and great to see Super Mario score finally. Hopefully that will increase his value come transfer time!
I was watching an NBC stream and I can't beleive anyone can put up with their stupidity? They decided to give Man of the Match to Mario, for his 10 minutes of game time and effective one good tap in. Sure it was a match winning goal, but how about Markovich who performed well for most of the match and opened the scoring Sturridge had multiple chances and won the penalty? Or Ibe who terrorised Rose all match?

Anyone, it was a great match, and credit for Spurs for playing so proactively. They are starting to look really threatening and it's going to be a tight race for the europe spots this year.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It was a really good game, the 2nd goal was offsides not to mention the foul for the free kick was never a foul otherwise Dier's tackle on Sturridge should have been a penalty as well. I didn't see Mario given MotM, it should have went to either Can or Ibe with Markovic being a good shout as well. The NBC stream was talking about Spuds young players but I'd have to say ours are better and we didn't have Sterling today either.

As far as Spuds, I think they're going to start trailing off. If you look at Poch's history with Espanyol I think and Southampton they trail off as his style is a bit like Bielsa's and it's almost impossible to keep up without almost another 11 ready to rotate. They just don't have the depth and in the last 15 minutes today they really had nothing.

faille

Molten Core Raider
It's good to see our Suarez money signings starting to come good. Don't think Balotelli will ever work out, his style just doesn't fit our, but Markovich, Can, Morena are turning out good. Lallana was probably overpriced but seems handy to have in the squad.

As much as I would love to see new signings making an instant impact, it so rarely happens. It seems no matter how good quality a player is, they still need 6 months, or a year to adjust. It took Suarez that long for instance. Even going back to the Liverpool of the 70's / 80's, their big name signings typical spent that time in the reserves before making the transition to the first time.

It makes it so hard to judge whether a signing was good or not, but so far I think it's working out for us. I think it's coming good for spurs, with so many of the players that have been called flops starting perform well after their adjusting period, though also under the watch a more suitable manager. Erikkson and Lamella was starting to show their real class.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I agree on Ericksen, Lamela though has been terrible to the point his game today was probably one of if not his best game of the year.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Preston starting to make me wonder why I was pissed we drew Arsenal.

Edit. q tip totally redeemed himself

Elerion

N00b
Let's get this out of the way. Another poor performance by Phil Dowd.

Controversial decision #1: Rooney should have been flagged for offside on the first goal. He does not actively participate in the play, but he gains an advantage by forcing the keeper to play the original ball and Rooney's potential finish. This is evident by the keeper's movement. Wrong call, advantage United.
Controversial decision #2: Davies should have seen his second yellow and been sent off right after the 1-1 goal. Wrong call, advantage Preston.
Controversial decision #3: Penalty - correct call. Not much contact if any, but Rooney has to move out of the way of the tackle to avoid getting hammered at full speed and risking injury.

All in all I guess Man U did enough to win despite the wrong goal, but you never know how it would have played out if they didn't get that freebie.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Offsides goal, mop head push off and a dive by Rooneh. Granted that fat fuck Dowd didn't send off Davies when he should have but I can't recall a team play this shit and consistently get results. Arse always seem to shit the bed against ManU so even though they're a better team I'm sure they'll find a way to blow it. Just going to make the semi-final or final victory over that shower much more sweeter I guess.

Anyway, come March ManU is going to start dropping points. When you're only effective way to play is to lump the ball into elbows in the box then eventually it's just not going to work. Can't wait until the game at Anfield....

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Let's get this out of the way. Another poor performance by Phil Dowd.

Controversial decision #1: Rooney should have been flagged for offside on the first goal. He does not actively participate in the play, but he gains an advantage by forcing the keeper to play the original ball and Rooney's potential finish. This is evident by the keeper's movement. Wrong call, advantage United.
Controversial decision #2: Davies should have seen his second yellow and been sent off right after the 1-1 goal. Wrong call, advantage Preston.
Controversial decision #3: Penalty - correct call. Not much contact if any, but Rooney has to move out of the way of the tackle to avoid getting hammered at full speed and risking injury.

All in all I guess Man U did enough to win despite the wrong goal, but you never know how it would have played out if they didn't get that freebie.
Watch it again:

Gfycat - jiffier gifs through HTML5 Video Conversion. Fast, simple gif hosting without size limits.

Dive, clear as day. Keown even said so himself but upon realizing who he was talking about (Engerhland's golden boy) he backtracked like the cretin he is. Rooneh could have stayed on his feet after avoiding the GK but he was going away from goal and more than likely would have had no angle for a shot as his touch was too heavy in trying to round the keeper.

If that was Suarez, Tevez or Aguero the press would be baying for blood. Just like there was no real talk of Gayle flopping like a fish in our game on Saturday since he' English and no good English boy can dive unless they're possibly black like A. Young.

Elerion

N00b
He could land on his feet, but he is clearly hindered by a high speed tackle which misses the ball and most likely hits him if he doesn't adjust his step to avoid it. Staring at the replays, itmightbe that Stuckmann would miraculously pass between his legs mid stride if he doesn't adjust his step, but any sensible player jumps that tackle. It's a crystal clear free kick anywhere on the field, it should be a penalty inside the box.

Yes, there would be calls for blood if it was a dirty latino, but that doesn't make the penalty call wrong.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Hindered? He even dragged his leg hoping to get contact, fucking hilarious and it's good to see Kilbane stick with the dive story while making Neville lose it.