Soccer 2014 - 2015

faille

Molten Core Raider
The only downside to the win was how much it made it a great weekend for Chelsea
frown.png

PKS

N00b
I can't even speculate anymore. It's getting so close up there and we all know how the fixture lists look for each other. Never expected to see City blowing out, what the fuck is Kompany like these days? Coutinho was brilliant preseason and it's taken him this long to find that form? Christ. Midfielders who receive turn and run and can shoot... We've got one! He just doesn't get game time!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
LFC is averaging 2.50pts per game since December. If we could just keep the team intact and add 1 or 2 then we should be pretty well setup for next season instead of spending the first half of the season figuring out what works best. Last year it took until almost December to figure out the diamond and now this year again for the 3-4-3.

For ManC, it's surprising in that Pellegrini in the past was pretty tactically astute and now he's just sticking with the same thing even though it's not working for him. Just having Toure and Fernando or Fernandinho in midfield the last 2 games was crazy.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. Nice to get a solid win but frustration that no other results went out way. Still, made up a little grand in terms of gold difference at least!

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Anyone got a stream for FA today?

Nevermind. Fuck it I'll hit Fox and the Hound pub.

Elerion

N00b
I gotta admit that red was harsh (there was some contact, so the dive isn't that egregious imo), but it's good to see refs actually daring to make unpopular decisions on OT again.

Januzai's dive was hilarious, though.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Harsh? Between Young and Di Maria they were diving all over the place with Janujizzy's just taking the cake as being the most hilarious. Not to mention it took 8 fouls for Fellaini to finally be booked. That was actually the most competent ref display I've seen in weeks. The Blackburn/Liverpool game yesterday Marriner was just letting Blackburn tackle however they wanted.

Anyway, once again it's just more Hoofs to Fellaini when ManU need anything. Great system indeed by LvG....

PKS

N00b
Can't complain about the ref. But the game itself was FUCKING INFURIATING - why do those stupid mistakes?!?! Those dives, that Valencia back pass, the sending off... just fucking undo any good work. I think I read somewhere that Utd defenders have one of the highest 'critical error' amounts (can't remember the exact wording), but the low goals conceded is largely down to that God in between the sticks.

Brando what else they gotta do when they down to 10 men with 15 mins to go? Otherwise they play it out wide and hope the wingers dribble past something, which might have worked if...

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Brando what else they gotta do when they down to 10 men with 15 mins to go? Otherwise they play it out wide and hope the wingers dribble past something, which might have worked if...
What? Fellaini started the game as a #10, though if there's one thing Oliver got wrong it's letting elbows finish the whole 90. Every offensive action ManU had from minute 1 was having the ball go wide to Young or Di Maria while Fellaini moved back post for a cross. There was some decent interplay at times in the first half due to Arse being pretty careless with the ball and allowing some counters. Sanchez was pretty terrible and Welbeck can't control a ball for the life of him, lucky for him Valencia was there to just gift him a goal. In the 2nd half as the turnovers went away ManU created nothing even before Di Maria was sent off.

With how hard Spuds press the ball I wouldn't be surprised if they turn ManU over this weekend after the letdown from this game.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Fuck yes! I knew we could do it. Monaco should be interesting ...

Oh and I thought the ref had an amazing game. That took some balls. Lol @ the diving.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Arsenal didn't play all that well, but thought Cazorla and Ox (before doing his hammy) were superb. Sanchez, Ozil and Welbeck (goal aside) stunk up the joint - good to see a ref have the cojones to call out the diving bullshit as he see's it. Thought before the game that Arsenal were a better side, still think that - but didn't think they'd actually win at OT. Good shit - picked a great day to be home with a cold!

PKS

N00b
What? Fellaini started the game as a #10, though if there's one thing Oliver got wrong it's letting elbows finish the whole 90. Every offensive action ManU had from minute 1 was having the ball go wide to Young or Di Maria while Fellaini moved back post for a cross. There was some decent interplay at times in the first half due to Arse being pretty careless with the ball and allowing some counters. Sanchez was pretty terrible and Welbeck can't control a ball for the life of him, lucky for him Valencia was there to just gift him a goal. In the 2nd half as the turnovers went away ManU created nothing even before Di Maria was sent off.

With how hard Spuds press the ball I wouldn't be surprised if they turn ManU over this weekend after the letdown from this game.
What? Bellerin doesn't deserve red either I'm guessing? Can't say the strat is desperate and look honest when Utd should have scored at least 2 or 3 from those plays... they scored 1, and Young could easily have had another. Fellaini won several headers (if not all? impressively) but wasn't direct in knocking it to anyone or trying too much with a goal attempt. One week you refer to Utd being desperate tactically because they are 1-0 down attempt long direct balls to Fellaini (and yes I don't like those), and the next you pretend this is more of the same?
2nd half Utd should have scored early on, I wasn't complaining until all those errors. Utd only beat themselves again, can't say I'm that worried about spurs. Got Evans banned for several games so it's 1 less mistake prone defender around, Valencia might have earned himself a couple of weeks off (missing a decent RB still), I don't know. I'd love to see Mata start more games instead of Fellaini. While Fellaini does his job exactly well, it's the only job he can fucking do! Not much creatively at all. But, shit. Unbalanced squad and all that. Roll on top4 + next season...

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Also, how long before DDG is in Madrid? Bale for DDG (plus Reus) seems like a great deal for Madrid and think Bale would do well in Manchester. DDG for me is the best keeper in the league, without question. Chelski have two great GK's, but outside of Neuer I struggle to think of anyone I'd rather have in goal than DDG - has kept Manc in several key games this season.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What? Bellerin doesn't deserve red either I'm guessing? Can't say the strat is desperate and look honest when Utd should have scored at least 2 or 3 from those plays... they scored 1, and Young could easily have had another. Fellaini won several headers (if not all? impressively) but wasn't direct in knocking it to anyone or trying too much with a goal attempt. One week you refer to Utd being desperate tactically because they are 1-0 down attempt long direct balls to Fellaini (and yes I don't like those), and the next you pretend this is more of the same?
2nd half Utd should have scored early on, I wasn't complaining until all those errors. Utd only beat themselves again, can't say I'm that worried about spurs. Got Evans banned for several games so it's 1 less mistake prone defender around, Valencia might have earned himself a couple of weeks off (missing a decent RB still), I don't know. I'd love to see Mata start more games instead of Fellaini. While Fellaini does his job exactly well, it's the only job he can fucking do! Not much creatively at all. But, shit. Unbalanced squad and all that. Roll on top4 + next season...
Pretty sure you're drunk as shit in writing this I don't even know what the fuck you're trying to say. So you're saying ManU had more chances than Arse due to Fellaini knockdowns? That's just crazy. If you're going to go on Bellerin then you can say the same as Rojo and Fellaini, all 3 had enough shit fouls to be sent off well before Di Maria. As far as Elbows in particular, since you don't seem to get this I'll let another Manc from Redcafe spell it out better than I ever could:

redcafe_sl said:
He's an odd one this season. He's undoubtably playing well. One of our best performers in fact. Yet I still can't shake the feeling he's holding us back by simply existing.

The defensive subs today, for example, seemed engineered to keep him on the pitch. Bringing Carrick on for the more forward minded of our CMs, to form the most low lying defensive partnership we could, was basically commiting to the idea that Fellaini is our default, go to No10. Which is understandable, albeit a bit worrying, in an away game we're losing, but very concerning in a home game we're doing well in. Doubly so in a squad that has Rooney, Mata, Januzaj and Di Maria all capable of playing in that position. There's no use pretending he's acting as some kind of physical midfield enforcer either when we're playing him in a 3 with Carrick and Blind. The only reason we could possibly need both of them on is to allow him to roam forward with gay abandon. Which he always seems to do anyway.

We're now in a situation where he's playing well, at least by his standards, so on the surface seems a sensible pick. Yet however well he plays, his influence on the team is reductive. He encourages us to seek him out from most of our crosses, and look for high balls when breaking out of defence rather than a potentially cleverer pass.

I can't fault the guy personally, because he's doing everything he can, but his strengths are limited to chesting down punts and then doing little creatively with them. Even the argument that someone like Mata is too easily bullied seems unconvincing considering Fellaini provides little to no cover himself. He basically just fouls people whenever he tracks back beyond the center circle. Which is why neither LVG nor Moyes have used him effectively as a DM, and why we needed to play both our holding CMs tonight to allow him to stay on.

The only thing he provides that none of our more natural No 10s do is an aerial threat in the final 3rd. But you can't help but wonder if the players we have could come up with something better if they weren't instinctively reliant on that tactic as a fall back. It's not like we don't have the options.

I can't blame him, cos he's doing his best, but with the talent we have, playing to the strengths of our least talented players just seems like a completely mad thing to do.
ig908k.jpg