Soccer 2017-2018

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Credit to Spuds for the come back but I have no idea what Juve thought they were doing. You can't give Ericksen that kind of time and space but they refused to move their mid's away from their CB's and it was bound to pay off. Really, really weird tactics.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Big game tomorrow for LFC, when was the last time we were in the knock out of the CL? 09? Feels like it's been decades.

Porto is a good matchup imo, I just have this really bad feeling we will kill our result by allowing some moronic late goal, or the refs will just straight up screw us like they have a few times this year.

Honestly soccer is the one sport i sometimes will not watch for months because the ref make such retarded calls that often effect the game, the FA really needs to cleanup it;s house but it seems like it will never happen.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Big game tomorrow for LFC, when was the last time we were in the knock out of the CL? 09? Feels like it's been decades.

Porto is a good matchup imo, I just have this really bad feeling we will kill our result by allowing some moronic late goal, or the refs will just straight up screw us like they have a few times this year.

Honestly soccer is the one sport i sometimes will not watch for months because the ref make such retarded calls that often effect the game, the FA really needs to cleanup it;s house but it seems like it will never happen.

I think Liverpool wins this easily. First leg snag a goal early and it will be cakewalk.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think Liverpool wins this easily. First leg snag a goal early and it will be cakewalk.

In theory you are right. LFC surely have the edge in talent and should have a decent shot at racking up a few. The problem is the team has this mental thing where they often allow comebacks by playing not to lose in the 2nd half. I have a bad feeling it's gonna be a 2-2 draw.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Porto is a really strong team, I don't think this will be easy and a scoring draw is just fine to bring home to Anfield. Granted I'm hoping we turn them over but being realistic that's probably not likely.

• 1Picard

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, Salah is the best player in the Premier League right now. Harry Kane is probably almost level, given Salah's form has dipped a bit in late Jan, whilst Kanes has risen, but his goal today was magnificent.

Who is better than Salah this year in the Prem?
The only REAL argument is Kevin DeBruyne and what has happened with Man City this campaign. We all knew this guy was an assist demon from his days in the Bundesliga but now its just ridiculous the things this Wunderginger is doing.

I dont think you can add anyone else to that list honestly. Its Salah, DeBruyne or Kane.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, that was Porto's largest home defeat ever in Europe and I would assume league as well considering how dominant they are domestically. I said I hoped we'd turn them over and we did. Really great result and now we're basically assured round of 8. 538 has us now at 11% to win the CL as well.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I dont think you can add anyone else to that list honestly. Its Salah, DeBruyne or Kane.

Kane is doing what he's done for the last couple of seasons - on course to be top scorer in PL.

De Bruyne has gone up a gear and is the conductor for a great Man City side.

Salah is doing better and scoring more than anyone expected. Factor in people who wrote him off as a Chelsea reject and the first 4-5 games of season where he missed several easy chances (whilst scoring the harder ones).

It's between Salah and De Bruyne

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
wow welp i guess my fears were wrong. we basically clinched the draw already!

Salah rightly gets tons of credit but today should remind us that Mane is one of the best wings in the game also. overall our front 3 is perhaps as good as any I've ever seen on a PL squad and maybe the best in the world atm.

• 1Picard

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
maybe the best in the world atm.

Nonsense, you're getting carried away after a result against the top team in a much weaker league in a knockout cup competition where the onus is on the home team to score

How many did they put past Swansea?

Jozu

lol with Sane comments.

Its impressive what he did in a CL game, and he is a very good player, but he isnt better than every other winger in the entire world.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Nonsense, you're getting carried away after a result against the top team in a much weaker league in a knockout cup competition where the onus is on the home team to score

How many did they put past Swansea?

I don't think LFC is getting enough credit for how good Porto is and what we did to them. Monaco and Leipzig are no slouches yet they advanced out of the group, haven't lost at home in a long time and have good players of which some will be sold for a lot of money just like every year.

That doesn't mean I think LFC's front 3 is the best in the world but there isn't many I would trade with. PSG, Barca, then who?

As far as that Swansea result, think I posted this after that game. Sometimes you're finishing just isn't there but that doesn't mean they didn't create any chances and 9 times out of 10 we would win that game.

DULWdTYXkAIl71t.jpg

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Agree Liverpool should get a ton of credit for yesterday. I was thinking they would be perfectly fine with a 2-2 draw away and they went out and just crushed.

Crazy how Ronaldo keeps managing to do it in the CL, even if not always by design. Should have subbed on Asensio much earlier, he was finding space down the left side basically from the moment he stepped on.

Jozu

SO many people have talked shit about Cristiano Ronaldo this year because Real Madrid are having a horror of a domestic campaign and he hasnt been lighting up the score sheet like in years past, while Messi is thrashing shit and Barca is top.

But like Merrith just said, he is getting it done in the CL. Every fucking year the guy leads the highest level tournament in world football in goals. He has won the last two CL titles with Real Madrid, an enormous feat. And they are probably going to advance to the semi finals yet again. They just beat the tournament favorite int he first leg, if they get rid of PSG Im not sure who beats them. Barca is possible, as is Man City and perhaps Liverpool, but thats about it.

Also, this game proves the Cristiano Ronaldo is a fucking GOD. Did anyone see the penalty he took? Before he struck the ball, he STAMPED on the ground with extreme force with his non shooting foot when he planted to strike, but it wasnt just a plant and shoot hum-ho penalty attempt, he change the angle and position of his plant foot and used a violent stomp to disturb the turf under the ball. This caused the ball to slightly pop up off the turf, effectively creating a volley. Some salty PSG fans and English football commentators were saying it should have been an illegal penalty as he got a double touch, as the replay video shows the ball OFF OF THE GROUND when he struck it. They thought he maybe used his off foot to poke the ball into the air or something, but NOPE.

Just Cristiano Ronaldo things, he has entered his god form. Rio Ferdinand said he used to practice the technique at ManU.

Ronaldo.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Some salty PSG fans and English football commentators were saying it should have been an illegal penalty as he got a double touch, ]

How convenient of you to not mention that the ball has to be stationary before it's struck. Obviously impossible for the refs to spot but it moved and therefore was a foul kick

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Foul kick or not the issue is either Ronaldo scores or he adds basically nothing to the team at this point in his career. He can't carry the ball up the field anymore, he doesn't really create unless it's a byproduct of his own wastefulness, and he shoots a shit load when half the time there's a better option. RM's underlying stats are basically 2nd to Barca in the league yet they are way off as he's been terrible this year. One CL game changes all of that? Let's not forget it took 3-4 really bad ref decisions for him to even get the goals last year.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
PSG is pretty good, maybe not a clear favorite but they wouldn't be a bad bet. I think when it comes to the CL people forget how random it can be. All it takes is one lucky break, injury, draw, etc. for a team to win it.