Soccer 2017-2018

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Coutinho couldnt even stay healthy. He was hurt for long stretches last year and Liverpool was still a decent side without him. Their problem wasnt scoring goals it was having a shambolic defense. Like I said, good riddance.

Didnt Barcelona just buy that Dembele kid who got hurt for a ridiculous sum after selling Neymar? I dont really follow Barca,but now with Suarez, Messi, Coutinho, and the youngster they will be one of the best scoring sides in Europe.

PSG needs to make it to the CL final or their season was a total failure. The Neymar signing was basically the zenith of that team and what the fans could have hoped for, and now with him there they need to advance in the CL, thats why they brought him in.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
We could have been an amazing side with Coutinho though. Put Naby Keita next to him and a solid #6 behind those two and that might be the best MF in the world. Ah well...

For Barca, Dembele is Neymar's replacement and Coutinho is supposedly Iniesta's replacement forgetting the fact that Coutinho has never played like Iniesta. Barca will probably be the best scoring side in Europe until Messi retires, the guys numbers are just unreal.

As far as PSG, yes they need to win the CL to make the Neymar money worth it since Ligue 1 is such a joke. With that said winning the CL is so random that it's pretty stupid but when that's all you have to play for /shrug

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What a win today, great game for LFC. Just need Stoke to win by 3 tomorrow now ;)

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn nice win by LFC today.

Phil is not worth nearly 200k usd... He is not even among our top three attacking players lol. He is a solid 3-4 best MF/forward on an elite club. nothing more. Any idea who we spend this money o? given we are in the CL and the fierce competition for top 4 it would be dumb not to imo... Even if it's only a semi -"rental" player. I'm no sold at all at spending 90m on Lemar, he looks like a guy who sold for 10-20m only 2-3 years ago and i don't see that world class upside... Alexis Sanchez Rental please? Hell offer them 35m fee to 300k wages. as an enticement to sign longterm.

Don't get me wrong i loved him, but his BS forced exit ( An owner like JWH needs to stand up one time and say "You can either play your contract ( Phil was under contract for like 5 more years with no buyout) here, at the rate agreed, or sit out our Prime footballing years and not get paid.. don't make a peep a MAYBE we'll reconsider in a few years. If you your family members keep whining to the press we will make sure they rare blacklisted from everything imaginable and even get our friends in tnland revenue (or whatever EU version) to take a look at them.

"The Whole ,OH,it's Barcelona, or RM, makes me wanna puke. What real competitor wants to go to team that basically rigs it's league for them? A legit to footballer manager needs to come out and say this as it's really a cowards way out. Phil,and mothers re essentially saying they only care about wining, even if those wins are tainted by a system that is unfair and places them in a joke domestic league.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Hmm, not sure where to start on this one. Coutinho went and told everybody including the tea lady at Melwood he was done playing for LFC and would not play again. He already skipped out on the CL qualifiers in August with a bogus injury. Carragher said the same thing in that LFC should still make him stay as you are now. But for what? His value to Barca wasn't going to change so him playing well or better wasn't going to affect anything, he's guaranteed a Brazil WC spot whether through merit or Nike and he already showed he would rather sit out in the hope he'd get a Barca move than play for us. So we just force him to play when he doesn't want to? How does that affect the rest of the squad?

We can debate whether La Liga is rigged for RM and Barca but it's a relative fact that Latins watch soccer growing up in which the players speak the same language they do rather than PL games. So they grow up watching Barca and RM plus their idols such as Ronaldo and Ronaldinho recently played there. La Liga is doing a better job now on TV money which is how A. Madrid has been able to sustain itself along with new ownership. Granted this doesn't get into the shady RM land deals or both RM and Barca seemingly not needing to pay taxes.

As far as where LFC spends it's Coutinho money, probably nothing right now. You're right in that Lemar is in no way a £60-90m player so I don't see that happening based on the clubs previous transfer history and who leads that department. Any player that would improve us is either on a CL team or a team that is challenging for CL places which is why I don't expect anything in January now that an early Keita move is ruled out. I would expect us to go heavy for Roma's GK Allison in the summer as well as another MF to go with Keita assuming we lose Can if we can't get Goretzka on a free. His teammate Max Meyer was moved into a #6 role and is thriving, he's also going to be on a free and that's who I'd be targeting as well. Basically players on teams that are performing at a high level where their stats are higher than expected, probably only 2-3 this summer.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Welp, not sure what is worse. Chelsea going after Carroll after signing Drinkwater and Barkley or ManU giving Sanchez £500k per week. Both are absolutely retarded and I'm all for that.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Welp, not sure what is worse. Chelsea going after Carroll after signing Drinkwater and Barkley or ManU giving Sanchez £500k per week. Both are absolutely retarded and I'm all for that.

Gotta admit i was even blown away a bit when i heard that number. I know the money flowing into the PL is nuts but it's still insane to see the rate of inflation

Andy Carroll... lol damnit Andy Carrol.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
As if hes going to be paid 500k a week :D

• 1Salty

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It's reported as £14m per year net from his agent. First I've never heard a wage being quoted in "net" terms in England, only in France due to taxes and Monaco. Second ManC's contract was supposedly £13m per year, so they're quoting the £14m without the "net" added to it to make it seem like this isn't about money when it most definitely is. Not that I have an issue with Alexis getting paid, more power to him. Just seems like a shit ton of money to throw at an eventual wing back :p

Maul

Dental Dammer
It's reported as £14m per year net from his agent. First I've never heard a wage being quoted in "net" terms in England, only in France due to taxes and Monaco. Second ManC's contract was supposedly £13m per year, so they're quoting the £14m without the "net" added to it to make it seem like this isn't about money when it most definitely is. Not that I have an issue with Alexis getting paid, more power to him. Just seems like a shit ton of money to throw at an eventual wing back :p
It is a dubiously large amount to pay I agree. The issue I have is all the frees surrounding it get lumped into one by the media to make it 500k+ a week. Since when has any transfer been valued like that.

• 1Salty

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Liverpool beating City during their historic rampage through the prem was basically unthinkable just a month ago.. Maybe they would have gotten a result, but to beat a top 3 team in Europe 4-3 under such high pressure conditions shows Klopp is a great coach. That game is why Liverpool hired Klopp.

Guardiola got outcoached as he didnt counter the high press and Klopp has that energy and craftiness to see small things developing and then makes changes in an attempt to reverse whats happening. Thats why Liverpool looks so bad on defense sometimes, Klopp makes the situation vulnerable in his quest to shift the direction of the match. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, but at least they have a manager who actually has an impact on his team and can produce miraculous results because of it. It might not end up being a season defining win, as City will still win the Prem by a comfortable gap, but Liverpool put itself in the champions league seat, and if they can just keep playing this type of foootball they will no doubt finish top 4.

Arsenal is sunk, Chelsea and Conte look lost, so its looking more and more like City, United, Liverpool, Spurs.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It is a dubiously large amount to pay I agree. The issue I have is all the frees surrounding it get lumped into one by the media to make it 500k+ a week. Since when has any transfer been valued like that.

For once I'd have to agree with you Maul in that you usually don't see a transfer quoted with all fees included. Unless this is the new norm it is a bit unfair as most "bosman" transfers are not free yet they're reported as if they are. All other types of transfers don't usually include the agents fee in the overall number bandied about.

Where I think in this case it's different and why it's being reported as such is just the amounts are a bit staggering for a player with only 6 months left on this current contract, is 29 years old with a lot of mileage on his legs and is not one of the 3 best players in the world. The £470-500k per week is just salary, nobody is disputing that. Where it becomes truly amazing is with the transfer fee, sign on fee, agent fee and wages it's £180m spent over the 4 1/2 contract that is going to be signed. ManU's turnover makes this possible so I don't hate it like i would a ManC or PSG but still it's fucking insane. Why wouldn't Pogba or DDG show up tomorrow demanding commensurate contracts? It just seems a really good way to blow a hell of a lot of money for not much return while opening a Pandora's box when it comes to the other squad members.

Liverpool beating City during their historic rampage through the prem was basically unthinkable just a month ago.. Maybe they would have gotten a result, but to beat a top 3 team in Europe 4-3 under such high pressure conditions shows Klopp is a great coach. That game is why Liverpool hired Klopp.

Guardiola got outcoached as he didnt counter the high press and Klopp has that energy and craftiness to see small things developing and then makes changes in an attempt to reverse whats happening. Thats why Liverpool looks so bad on defense sometimes, Klopp makes the situation vulnerable in his quest to shift the direction of the match. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, but at least they have a manager who actually has an impact on his team and can produce miraculous results because of it. It might not end up being a season defining win, as City will still win the Prem by a comfortable gap, but Liverpool put itself in the champions league seat, and if they can just keep playing this type of foootball they will no doubt finish top 4.

Arsenal is sunk, Chelsea and Conte look lost, so its looking more and more like City, United, Liverpool, Spurs.

Not sure I'd say Pep got out coached, more that his players just couldn't perform when under pressure. Even then it was a really tight run thing as the first 10-15 minutes of the 2nd half I thought we were done. The Firmino goal just changed everything.

For top 4, right now I'd say ManC/LFC/Spuds/Chelsea. Everybody talks about Arsenal in crises but ManU's underlying defensive numbers are even worse right now. The chances they gave up even in the Stoke game in that first half were ridiculously good but somehow Stephen Ireland was playing and not an actual live footballer. Unless Bailey comes back soon and fixes everything then I think they're going to drop more points Sanchez or not as their defense is just a mess.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Awful game vs Burnley, probably the worst ive seen so far this season.

Seems its a straight swap, Sanchez for Mkhitaryan.

• 1Salty

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Typical would be we lie down and have our tummies tickled by a clearly inferior team while a normally shit and brutish CF bullies us off the pitch. We created a shit ton of chances and it just so happened every single player that had one missed. Shit happens. Play that same game the exact same way another 9 times and we win all 9. On to next week.