Soccer 2017-2018

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I only saw the 2nd half. Oblak was pretty fucking good but A. Madrid still gave up plenty of chances, Arsenal will only have themselves to blame if they go out here and they probably will.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That was the most Arsenal game I've ever seen - Had ATM down to 10, 75+% possession, 20 SOT vs 2, and a long hoof over the top beats 4 defenders and the GK

lol, you forgot one defender being bounced off the ball, the keeper getting nutmegged and the last defender falling over before he could reach the ball and challenge Griezmann, then the lolz Fortnite celebration. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Bayern were the better team in both legs but their finishing really let them down. Not sure if Lewa is just done at this point since he thinks he's going to RM but Muller and him were just garbage in both legs. Not that I care but that's gotta suck for Bayern fans.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bayern were the better team in both legs but their finishing really let them down. Not sure if Lewa is just done at this point since he thinks he's going to RM but Muller and him were just garbage in both legs. Not that I care but that's gotta suck for Bayern fans.

Both teams finishing let them down quite a bit. Today easily could have been a much higher scoring affair. Ironically both 2nd half goals were on terrible misplays by the keepers imo.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What other chance did RM really have than the Ronaldo one? Bayern had probably 2 penalties they should have gotten plus all the other shots in the 6yrd box that they couldn't put in.

Merrith

What other chance did RM really have than the Ronaldo one? Bayern had probably 2 penalties they should have gotten plus all the other shots in the 6yrd box that they couldn't put in.

Not sure I agree on the one Marcello "hand ball" when it was tucked in to his body. Ronaldo played Marcello in at one point where a simple pass to 2 different open guys should have resulted in fairly easy finish. Also played Bale in late but a horrible first touch ruined that chance. As noted though, Benz's brace to start the 2nd was an absolute gift, and how James' shot actually gets through with Navas in position to shut down anything is beyond me.

Szlia

It is fair to say that pass toward the keeper was garbage, but what's the final verdict on wtf the keeper did? Was that a major brain fart? A total misreading of Benzema's position? Did he lose his footing when running toward the ball? It did not seem the ball had a surprising bad bounce of something similar (I remember a classic goal caused by bad turf bumping the ball above the foot of a keeper).

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bad luck for Bayern....but Madrid defended their home soil and did enough to win the tie.

They are the two time defending champions, you cant make a critical mistake and expect to beat this team in the CL.

Liverpool vs RM is going to be epic. Ronaldo is going to have to show up Salah, not only in order for RM to have a chance to win, but to deny Salah a Ballon D'Or. If Salah scores twice and Liverpool beat RM to take the CL he is winning the Ballon D'Or. If Ronaldo upstages him and is the man of the match and wins his 3rd straight CL title he has to win another Ballon D'Or given what he accomplished during the CL and back end of the La Liga season.

Also, this is RM's 4th final in 5 years, if there ever was any football team that was battle hardened when it comes to European Championship experience its this Ronaldo/Benzema/Marcelo/Ramos nucleus of RM (as well as other important guys who have been there the last 5 years). Liverpool needs to have nerves of steel and Salah needs the game of his life.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not sure I agree on the one Marcello "hand ball" when it was tucked in to his body. Ronaldo played Marcello in at one point where a simple pass to 2 different open guys should have resulted in fairly easy finish. Also played Bale in late but a horrible first touch ruined that chance. As noted though, Benz's brace to start the 2nd was an absolute gift, and how James' shot actually gets through with Navas in position to shut down anything is beyond me.

It's a general frustration of mine but the "intent" part of hand ball is kind of bullshit as it gives refs a grey area to hide in. You also said nothing of the second penalty that Ramos should have been called for plus his non-stop swan dives in his own box starting on 80+ minutes.

And I guess what I'm getting at as far as chances over the 180 minutes is who do you think had more? Not that it matters now but if Bayern had their finishing boots on there's no way they lose this tie mistakes or not.

Bad luck for Bayern....but Madrid defended their home soil and did enough to win the tie.

They are the two time defending champions, you cant make a critical mistake and expect to beat this team in the CL.

Liverpool vs RM is going to be epic. Ronaldo is going to have to show up Salah, not only in order for RM to have a chance to win, but to deny Salah a Ballon D'Or. If Salah scores twice and Liverpool beat RM to take the CL he is winning the Ballon D'Or. If Ronaldo upstages him and is the man of the match and wins his 3rd straight CL title he has to win another Ballon D'Or given what he accomplished during the CL and back end of the La Liga season.

Also, this is RM's 4th final in 5 years, if there ever was any football team that was battle hardened when it comes to European Championship experience its this Ronaldo/Benzema/Marcelo/Ramos nucleus of RM (as well as other important guys who have been there the last 5 years). Liverpool needs to have nerves of steel and Salah needs the game of his life.

They got outplayed on their own field, same as Juve game, and if it wasn't for Bayern's GK having a complete brain fart they wouldn't be advancing. You can call it grit and experience and that might be true in the past but it's basically luck in regards to this tie. Would Rafinha head the ball right to RM on a corner every time? Would the GK be confused on a back pass consistently? That's why I've said all along the randomness of the CL always means that the teams you think are the best are just one random thing away from going out. And honestly after watching all these games I think if it wasn't for LFC knocking out ManC they would wipe they floor with any team left.

Half of RM's starting IX are over 30 and I'm not sure if you noticed but even with both teams starting attackers instead of their DM's the transitions weren't exactly lightning. I don't want to get ahead of myself in that we still need to finish off Roma but Salah against Marcelo is going to be hilarious unless the ref lets him just wrestle him non-stop like what happened with Young and then Peters this weekend. Continental refs don't really go for that so I'd be pretty surprised.

As far as the Ballon D'or, maybe Ronaldo outperforms Salah in the final. Today he had the least touches of any player in the first half (including GK's) and I don't think it improved much from there while missing a sitter. Again I'm not arguing about Ronaldo's legacy but to say it's a debate between Salah and Ronaldo for this award just shows somewhat how worthless this award has become in the Ronaldo/Messi era.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I got to say, I'm pretty nervous. Yes we blitzed them last week but that was due to some really stupid tactics on their part. Even chasing the tie they won't be pushing as high a defensive line again, though I'd love it if they did. When they went to a back four they were far more solid and they looked far more threatening at the end of the game.

Jozu

Don't worry guys Liverpool got this.

And lol Brando, you can point to luck all you want, but when the same nucleus of guys reaches 4 CL finals in 5 years your argument sucks.

Luck doesn't see you through to 4 finals in 5 years, quality and determination does.

Yea Ronaldo missed a sitter, so did Lewandowski. It's a high pressure game. But acting like the Ballon D'Or is a joke because Ronaldo and Messi win it every year is retarded.

Those guys deserved it.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I got to say, I'm pretty nervous. Yes we blitzed them last week but that was due to some really stupid tactics on their part. Even chasing the tie they won't be pushing as high a defensive line again, though I'd love it if they did. When they went to a back four they were far more solid and they looked far more threatening at the end of the game.

Not sure if you've watched much of Roma aside from our one game against them but they always play a 4-3-3 and press high up the field. As a manager are you going to change what you've done for the whole season that got you to that point just for this one game when you're 3 goals down? I'd say more than likely their going to do the same thing they do in every game and the manager will just hope they do it better and get some bounces to go their way. LFC is well equipped to exploit that, just a question of weathering the initial storm and taking our chances. I'm expecting us to win outright as we're just a match up nightmare for Roma with how slow their midfield and defenders are.

Don't worry guys Liverpool got this.

And lol Brando, you can point to luck all you want, but when the same nucleus of guys reaches 4 CL finals in 5 years your argument sucks.

Luck doesn't see you through to 4 finals in 5 years, quality and determination does.

Yea Ronaldo missed a sitter, so did Lewandowski. It's a high pressure game. But acting like the Ballon D'Or is a joke because Ronaldo and Messi win it every year is retarded.

Those guys deserved it.

The results are the results, there is no argument there. Will and determination affect another GK's concentration? A linesman that cannot see Ronaldo 3 feet offsides? A ref that refuses to red card Casemiro as he throws himself at other players recklessly over and over but gives one to Vidal for his first foul? No.

Will and determination get them to the game, they've still had to have a lot of things go their way in each year but that's the same for any team as the margins are so thin.

Jozu

Yet here they are on the verge of winning a 4th Champions League title in 5 years and you walk back your luck narrative and supplant it with them getting help from the refs.

lol.

I know you want Liverpool to win and hate Madrid and Ronaldo, but their success is undeniable, and they will probably end up beating Liverpool on penalties.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yet here they are on the verge of winning a 4th Champions League title in 5 years and you walk back your luck narrative and supplant it with them getting help from the refs.

lol.

I know you want Liverpool to win and hate Madrid and Ronaldo, but their success is undeniable, and they will probably end up beating Liverpool on penalties.

Not sure where you're coming from but help from the refs IS luck unless you want to wade into conspiracy theory territory.

Jozu

What in the fuck?

Luck is many things, but usually in a sporting sense luck means a ball bouncing in an odd way, hitting the woodwork, an incredible volley that went in but would have missed 99 other times etc.

When the refs are giving you a perceived disadvantage that is called getting jobbed.

So in Brando land, if you can just get a healthy amount of luck, and some refs in your pocket, your on your way to Champions League glory!

Last edited:

Merrith

Brando I didn't get to watch the entire game, the main penalty decision I saw that was talked about after was the Marcelo one. I also absolutely agreed that Benz's second goal yesterday was an absolute gift of a mistake from Bayern. I do think Navas gave it back on James' goal being in complete position at an angle where frankly nothing should get through (and you have to say through, cause there really isn't room at that angle for anything to go by him). I agree Bayern had more "chances" on the whole for the tie, and I think Madrid was looking to absorb some pressure/possession from them in order to strike on the counter...which they are very good at. In the end, Bayern were not good enough yet again. Maybe Liverpool will be if they handle business today to knock Madrid off their throne.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
869A7829-B9B3-471E-882C-AE7A563CDF45.jpeg

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lewandowski is a joke of a striker, he scored only *once* in nine games in the last three years in the champions league if you only count games quarterfinal and beyond - i.e. where the opponents are tough. He knows how to score against some bum fuck town club you've never even heard of, so he scores 30 goals each season in the league, but against any team with serious defense he's just a waste of the 11th spot.

He had exactly one CL career highlight, and that was when he scored four times against Real Madrid. That was five years ago. Nothing since.