Soccer 2017-2018

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Luck is many things, but usually in a sporting sense luck means a ball bouncing in an odd way, hitting the woodwork, an incredible volley that went in but would have missed 99 other times etc.

I don't know how much soccer you played or watched in your life but the rules for the game contain very little black and white, most are left to the refs interpretation. Now obviously as a fan of a team on the wrong end of a decision your going to feel jobbed or robbed. Trust me as an LFC fan this year I've felt it plenty of times. That doesn't mean though that it isn't luck in that a referee decided a hand ball was deliberate or not or if a tackle was made with enough malicious intent to go from a yellow to a red card offense.

And what I've said all along the margins are so thin over 180 minutes that every little thing adds up and usually makes the difference. Madrid would have went out last year to Bayern if Ronaldo was correctly flagged offsides twice, they would have went out this year if the Bayern GK didn't fuck up etc etc. Obviously the team has to be good enough to get to that level but to say that things don't need to go your way to win it, as it did at times for LFC then you're just fooling yourself.

Brando I didn't get to watch the entire game, the main penalty decision I saw that was talked about after was the Marcelo one. I also absolutely agreed that Benz's second goal yesterday was an absolute gift of a mistake from Bayern. I do think Navas gave it back on James' goal being in complete position at an angle where frankly nothing should get through (and you have to say through, cause there really isn't room at that angle for anything to go by him). I agree Bayern had more "chances" on the whole for the tie, and I think Madrid was looking to absorb some pressure/possession from them in order to strike on the counter...which they are very good at. In the end, Bayern were not good enough yet again. Maybe Liverpool will be if they handle business today to knock Madrid off their throne.

Have you ever played GK and run out to cut down an angle as a ball is being hit very hard at you? We saw it again today with Allison on Mane's goal and why almost nobody chalks that up to a GK error as it's really fucking tough to adjust your body on the fly like that.

Anyway, on the final. Allez Allez Allez!

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hah, I only actually played GK one time on one of my indoor teams when neither of our regular goalies showed up and we all pretty much were fighting over who was going to get to suit up. I ended up getting the 1st half and another guy the 2nd. Fun experience, although we vastly outclassed the team we were playing that night. I gave up 2 goals. We ended up winning like 16-6 or something.

James had very little angle to begin with, I'd just expect Navas to not leave holes there and allow that one.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Come on you reds

1EC3AAD8-24D7-44C1-A070-BACDB855C862.jpeg

Szlia

It's pretty funny that out of the 6ish situations that could have ended in a penalty kick between yesterday's and today's matches, it's probably the softer one that ended with an actual penalty kick. It's hard to not feel it only got called because the ref knew it would have zero impact on the end result as he did not give the 1+ min of stoppage time he should have given after the kick.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Told you Liverpool fans not to fret, it's the finals for Klopp and his men! What an achievement for Liverpool very happy they went through.

And yes football is a game of chance sometimes, and there is a thin line between true quality and fortunate occurrences, but both Liverpool and Madrid deserve to be in the final.

Liverpool saw off Man City, and Madrid vanquished PSG, Juve, AND Bayern in order to defend their crown again.

No luck in that.

Liverpool might need some luck to beat RM though because Ronaldo is going to show up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's pretty funny that out of the 6ish situations that could have ended in a penalty kick between yesterday's and today's matches, it's probably the softer one that ended with an actual penalty kick. It's hard to not feel it only got called because the ref knew it would have zero impact on the end result as he did not give the 1+ min of stoppage time he should have given after the kick.

Agreed, easy to make the call in that case.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Championship final will be on Fox as well as fox sports correct? I’m at a wedding and he’s going to have it on with spectrum streaming for me.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yes it will be on the main Fox channel, not FS1. As far as streaming, you can get a week free for their Fox Soccer app. Just sign up and then cancel after the game is over.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yup that's it for Wenger. No fairy-tale ending.

Def a little sad, but onwards and upwards.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
All their best players will be playing for Leipzig next year, they'll be fine.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Some of you might remember me posting a few weeks back that my local team was in position to win their first title in 32 years. Well we did it! Scored the go ahead goal in the 87th minute that let us beat Luzern to take the title and clinch at home. Everyone stormed the pitch after the game but it was a chill storming, not an angry one. So after all those years, and 8! yes 8 titles in a row for FC Basel, BSC Young Boys are once again Swiss champions. An experience I will never forget for the rest of my life.
YBFOH1.jpg
YBFOH2.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Some of you might remember me posting a few weeks back that my local team was in position to win their first title in 32 years. Well we did it! Scored the go ahead goal in the 87th minute that let us beat Luzern to take the title and clinch at home. Everyone stormed the pitch after the game but it was a chill storming, not an angry one. So after all those years, and 8! yes 8 titles in a row for FC Basel, BSC Young Boys are once again Swiss champions. An experience I will never forget for the rest of my life. View attachment 165999View attachment 166000
Awesome! Conrgats! Enjoy the sweet taste of victory

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats fucking awesome man! Congrats, and thats why I love sports because even after years of failure and hurt, you live for this moment.

Maul

Dental Dammer
As much as I hate Liverpool, I hope they beat Real in the final, them Zidane tears be salty.