Soccer 2017-2018

Szlia

Good luck trying to predict what will happen in this group!

As for Columbia being as good as Japan while one man down, let's not be silly, it's just that all plans made by both teams got out the window 3 minutes in. Japan suddenly was unsure if it needed to play or preserve the win, chose to not play and of course got punished for it. In the 2nd half, Japan played and dominated outrageously a Columbian team that paid the real price for being one man down: you have to work harder and working harder for basically a full match is exhausting. This domination ended in a goal, but with the lead Japan got a little nervous again (though they had some good phases of ball movement to keep possession) and obviously Columbia threw all its remaining energy in the last few minutes so it got a bit hairy.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Sheesh, and I thought England was nervous yesterday. What a complete joke effort from Poland, too horrible for a fix, I was shaking head most of match in complete disbelief at their ineptitude. This was easily the worst match of the tournament so far, what a tanking. No disrespect to Senegal, they just showed up and did not even have to break a sweat. The Poles looked like lil tots scared to be even be on the field of a world cup match.

A tournament like this certainly separates men from the boys. Lewandowski is just not the same calibre of player at the international level of competition when compared to likes of his elder compatriots such as Boniek or Lato, lol, let alone Mesi or Ronaldo.

End of 1st round of matches, Portugal Spain (1) , Germany Mexico (2) and Peru & Denmark (3) stand out as most entertaining matches so far.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The 0:2 was hilarious. instead of defending, the Polish player instead pulls a what we call here "protest arm Müller", after Thomas Müller who during his weaker two years was mostly recognized on the pitch by raising his arm to protest ref decisions. Opposing player going for the ball who might not be here? I'll rather turn around and ask the referee instead of clearing the ball out.

Lewandowski proves once again all he can do is wait in the opponents penalty box for the ball to fall on his foot to score, which is exactly why he keeps winning the top scorer trophy in the Bundesliga year after year, but every game of importance he might as well stay on the bench.

Bayern better slap a price tag on him and send him to China.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lewandowski is an enigma. He scored like 5 goals in less than 15 minutes or some shit in a game, which is a record, and can look sublime at times.

Others he looks like a replacement level player.

Szlia

I don't know if it exactly applies to Lewandowski, but there is a type of player that are called in french "renards des surfaces" so roughly... boxes foxes? Basically they are players that are good at exactly one thing: through a mix of eagle eye, insight, ruse and explosive first steps, they are the first guy on any ball in the box that is not properly dealt with by the defense and score. This is often not pretty and most of the match these guy look useless, because they don't handle the ball well enough to eliminate defenders, they don't control the ball well enough to score off clean crosses, they don't run fast enough to be useful on fast breaks, they don't have the power to score from outside the box... but as soon as there is some confusion in the box, it's them who end up pushing the ball in the net while 20 other players are still wondering where the ball is.

Maybe in the modern game this type of players tend to disappear, because we now ask forwards to be able to do that AND a bunch of other things and because defenses are now extremely well organised, making the phases of confusion few and far between, but a great box fox used to yield a lot of goals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Au Re Voir Jackie Wilshere, and good luck. Sad to see him go, but it was time (for him and for Arsenal). Would love to see him in Italy, but have a feeling he'll just pop up at Palace or something close by. Shame, but injuries did him no favors.

What the hell is Egypt playing at, didn't even think Russia were that good but they're blitzing their group so far.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't know if it exactly applies to Lewandowski, but there is a type of player that are called in french "renards des surfaces" so roughly... boxes foxes? Basically they are players that are good at exactly one thing: through a mix of eagle eye, insight, ruse and explosive first steps, they are the first guy on any ball in the box that is not properly dealt with by the defense and score. This is often not pretty and most of the match these guy look useless, because they don't handle the ball well enough to eliminate defenders, they don't control the ball well enough to score off clean crosses, they don't run fast enough to be useful on fast breaks, they don't have the power to score from outside the box... but as soon as there is some confusion in the box, it's them who end up pushing the ball in the net while 20 other players are still wondering where the ball is.

Maybe in the modern game this type of players tend to disappear, because we now ask forwards to be able to do that AND a bunch of other things and because defenses are now extremely well organised, making the phases of confusion few and far between, but a great box fox used to yield a lot of goals.

The famous Wenger quote when he signed Francis Jeffers was that he was a "fox in the box".

I was out in Liverpool after the fa cup game vs non league Havant & Waterlooville, bumped into Jeffers who told me he was gay and that i was going home with him :s

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

He scores lots and lots of goals in the Bundesliga without any confusion. Just straight up shots from anywhere. The last time he repeatedly scored in a really big match he was still playing for Dortmund. He's been a complete and total no show for Bayern in all late stage CL games, and I'm sure he'll have nothing to show in the next match.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ronaldo all time (European) international scoring leader now. Not much else for him to accomplish at this point besides lift the Jules Rimet trophy itself. I dont think he will, but even if he doesnt, he has scored over 700 goals for club and country in just over 760 total overall appearances, meaning he is good for about .8 goals per game in his career, which is fucking ridiculous.

He is also that rare player who performs for club AND country, as most superstar players either feature more prominently in one form or the other, with Ronaldo he has shined just as bright for Portugal as he has for ManU and RM. Its fucking crazy how quick the international scene can change though, 2 years ago Renato Sanchez was looking like one of the brightest young stars in the world, and Eder unleashes a wonder strike in extra time to beat Les Bleus in Paris.

Now Sanchez is missing in action, and Eder has been put out to pasture. The side is still mainly the same one from the Euro triumph, with Moutinho, and Carvalho in the middle, and that Guerriero kid and Pepe in the back with Patricio in goal, but now feature Guedes up front with Silva out wide and Cedric Soares and Joao Mario, who have been pretty good as defensive roamers/initiators.

The one constant is Cristiano of course, its crazy when you think he played in the 2002 Euro Final.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2002 was a World Cup year, not a UEFA Euro. You mean 2004?

lol google just stated for 10 minutes straight that POR MOR ended 0:0. I was like, VAR decided after the match that the 4' goal actually is invalid? Imagine how hilarious that would be.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
2002 was a World Cup year, not a UEFA Euro. You mean 2004?

lol google just stated for 10 minutes straight that POR MOR ended 0:0. I was like, VAR decided after the match that the 4' goal actually is invalid? Imagine how hilarious that would be.
I saw that and thought the same thing.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Some thoughts:

Morocco might have had one of the best performances in a group stage that I can remember resulting in an early exit. Both games they were clearly the better team, they just had nobody that could actually put the ball in the net so it's all for naught.

Salah is clearly not 100% healthy. Sucks for Egypt but will be good for LFC to get him back to Melwood for rehab earlier than hoped.

Senegal is what France should be and it wasn't the Poles playing bad but Senegal forcing them out of their comfort zone. Kante is way better than Gana as a DM. Trust that Kante is going to clear up all the transitions and just go hell for leather. Yet it sounds like they're going to play Matuidi in the Sissoko role from Euro 2016 as a defensive winger? LOL

Neymar's injury may actually be good for Brazil in that it would move Coutinho into LW and allow for a more balanced setup.

Edit: Also the Russians are doping. They've outrun every other team at the WC so far. There's no fucking way they just turned it on with that group of players considering some of their ages.

2nd Edit: Pepe is still one of the biggest pieces of shit around:

Streamja - Simple video sharing

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not sure which is worse, this Iran/Spain game or the earlier Uruguay/Saudia Arabia game. Both are terrible and I wish I had some sleep to catch up on.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Iran deserved a little better, despite Spain's possession numbers.

• 1Solidarity