Soccer 2017-2018

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
well I was specifically talking about that mess 74:30'ish. They should have scored twice in that position.

Szlia

I was just teasing you :p And to be fair I was about to write that SK is a good team that just can't score... and they scored!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So on top of being a Ronaldo butt pirate Jozu is now a confirmed racist, good to know.

In regards to VAR, I'm not going to get into the technical side of it as it gets rather monotonous. You can easily google the IFAB rules for it's usage. The bottom line is the final decision always rests with the on field ref. He can accept VAR's decision, review it himself or ignore it completely. I thought it was going to be a disaster for this WC but it's been surprisingly good overall and has gotten the majority of decisions right. I'm hopeful it will be implemented in the EPL this way.

Couple of other thoughts:
-Belgium isn't going to get away with that in the knockout rounds, under the kosh Martinez is just going to throw on more attackers. Will be fun to watch regardless.
-I'm down for Osario taking over the USMNT after this WC, he has a plan and has gotten his players to buy into it wholeheartedly.
-Germany changed their MF as expected. I don't think the Swedes will be all that much of a challenge but should be interesting in how it plays out shortly.

Edit: Also for Brazil yesterday, as I noted after the first game their attack is so left sided that bringing on Costa for Willian changed the game for them in that they had an outlet on the right that could do something. Sounds like he's injured now though so could be a problem for them in going forward again.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I should qualify...VAR has been good when they actually use it. How is that potential penalty not reviewed? Clear foul by Boateng.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
GERMANY WILL NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE NIGHT.

Im actually half black myself, so im not a racist, lmao. If anything I got a well thought out answer that kind of cleared it up for me, I never thought about how the really good African players get poached at a young age by European sides, or the very best would rather play for their adopted country.

Drogba is probably the best example of a celebrated African player who was prideful of his national team time and played for his home country. Ivory Coast might never make it to the World Cup again.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Even with that win I think Germany's midfield is just broken. They're main outlet was Boateng on the right which is ridiculous. The decisions to leave Sane, Weigl and Can at home is going to bite them in the ass. Coming in I thought they were tied as the second best team with Spain but now I don't see how they get past Brazil in the R16 matchup.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even with that win I think Germany's midfield is just broken. They're main outlet was Boateng on the right which is ridiculous. The decisions to leave Sane, Weigl and Can at home is going to bite them in the ass. Coming in I thought they were tied as the second best team with Spain but now I don't see how they get past Brazil in the R16 matchup.

Could see scenarios where they aren't a R16 matchup (while both still making the knockout stage)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Great goal aside, Kroos Mueller & Boateng have been fecking terrible this World Cup. Kroos in particular has been pants

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Could see scenarios where they aren't a R16 matchup (while both still making the knockout stage)

There are plenty of scenarios but the odds certainly favor them meeting now.

Great goal aside, Kroos Mueller & Boateng have been fecking terrible this World Cup. Kroos in particular has been pants

I think Boateng's been great to be honest, just the way Germany is using him or exposing him has been the issue. Mueller I'm somewhat indifferent on but Kroos if he didn't score that goal, man he was horrible that game.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The great thing about being Belgian is that you don't need other countries' media to shit on our national team, our own media excell at it.

"While Lukaku isn't part of the world top, he is performing adequately".

Fuck those guys.