Soccer 2017-2018

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
JUbczLy.jpg

Brando already touched on this, but surely this is being looked into?!

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
JUbczLy.jpg
Brando already touched on this, but surely this is being looked into?!

Panamese players sprint 10% more often compared to English ones?

I guess most of that happens while they are fetching the ball out of their nets.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Soviet doping apparently wore off today.

They're saving it for the next round apparently! Will be fascinated to see the statistics in their knock out game - someone was looking at these #'s vs. 2014 and they are ahead of any team from last World Cup as well, including Chile who typically run around like mad badgers

Kaines

Potato Supreme
If the Russians ain't cheating, they ain't Russians.

Also, am I bad person for wanting to see Iran win and Spain win/tie so that Ronaldo can sit next to Messi on the connecting flight back home?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That game is dirty as fuck, but there's no way that was a yellow card against Ronaldo. If anything, the Iranian player committed foul here.

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

page 29, impeding without the ball. He's even using his arms as well, forbidden even with the ball in playable distance.

I get they can't go by the exact rules while refereeing in real time, but if they VAR it over and over, this kind of detail must be considered in the decision

This feels like a concession simply because of the many (correct) calls in favor of PR so far.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really wished that bastard Sergio Ramos to be at fault for a Spanish loss, or at least a draw with PR pulling ahead with a win. But can't have it all.

Pretty bad game (PR - Iran) but exciting and tense at least.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Was begging Spain to get knocked out - would be fecking brilliant seeing Ramos sent packing..... Next round shaping up to be tasty

Szlia

The problem with the VAR is that while it corrects some things that would have been unfair, it also creates additional judgement calls that also can be unfair. This Iran vs Portugal match will be a point of reference as to why that stuff will be gone or severely changed. You had everything in it: the good case with the missed foul on Ronaldo, the bad case with an unintentional handball that had basically zero effect on play that somehow turned into a penalty (and on top of that play was stopped in total confusion for 3 min while the VAR was reviewing the images) and the outrageously absurd with the review of the altercation involving Ronaldo. It's absurd because half the people who see it say it's a foul another half say it's not, so already it's something the VAR should not touch, then, if it's a foul it's a red and if it's not it's nothing, but the ref' went for a diplomatic yellow (I guess you have to do what you have to do to not get lynched, but his World Cup is over).

On the up side, as far as dramaturgy go, these two matches playing simultaneously was some serious nail biting stuff!

Last edited: