Soccer 2017-2018

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Gooooooooooooooallllllll ! Crushed mercilessly. Sad that Maradonna crying in stands looks in better shape. Going to be interesting how fired up Portugal and Ronaldo will for be next few matches. Def go Croatia.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like Messi needs to pout and declare retirement from national team... again.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sad how Argentina is playing given some of the talent on that team, even beyond Messi. Has so much more to work with than a Ronaldo does with Portugal but can't get the results.

• 2Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Pretty sad how Argentina is playing given some of the talent on that team, even beyond Messi. Has so much more to work with than a Ronaldo does with Portugal but can't get the results.

They're stacked offensively in the forward positions but have nothing else anywhere else on the pitch.

Merrith

They're stacked offensively in the forward positions but have nothing else anywhere else on the pitch.

Dybala needs to be starting for them in midfield. Although he seems to have issues fitting in with the national team for whatever reason. A lot of where the game was lost today was that Croatia just abused Argentina in the midfield. Modric with the absolute class stunner.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aguero always wants to score himself. That's how he's planning his paths, that's how he plays with the ball.

It's like these two players don't exist for each other.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Aguero always wants to score himself. That's how he's planning his paths, that's how he plays with the ball.

It's like these two players don't exist for each other.

well he#s the #9, not like he excels at anything else. Part of the reason Pep prefers Jesus is because he apparently offers more to the team than Aguero

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Dybala needs to be starting for them in midfield. Although he seems to have issues fitting in with the national team for whatever reason. A lot of where the game was lost today was that Croatia just abused Argentina in the midfield. Modric with the absolute class stunner.

Dybala would play where in midfield and do what? Based on today's evidence anything is possible for Sampaoli as that 3-2-3-2 to start was nuts and then just fucking went crazy from there but I'm pretty sure Dybala is not a midfielder and wouldn't have solved any of their issues.

Without looking at the stats yet I'd bet this is similar to the Iceland game where Messi had the most or 2nd most shots, take-ons and progressive passes in the WC up to that point so he was their midfield and attack rolled into one. I'd agree that the rest of the team is pretty shit outside of the forwards but that shouldn't mean some type of functional system couldn't have been figured out. For me it would be Banega on the field as at least he can progress the ball and then you free up Messi for more attacking. No idea why he hasn't played at all yet when Salvio, Meza and Acuna are just fucking garbage.

Merrith

Dybala would play where in midfield and do what? Based on today's evidence anything is possible for Sampaoli as that 3-2-3-2 to start was nuts and then just fucking went crazy from there but I'm pretty sure Dybala is not a midfielder and wouldn't have solved any of their issues.

Without looking at the stats yet I'd bet this is similar to the Iceland game where Messi had the most or 2nd most shots, take-ons and progressive passes in the WC up to that point so he was their midfield and attack rolled into one. I'd agree that the rest of the team is pretty shit outside of the forwards but that shouldn't mean some type of functional system couldn't have been figured out. For me it would be Banega on the field as at least he can progress the ball and then you free up Messi for more attacking. No idea why he hasn't played at all yet when Salvio, Meza and Acuna are just fucking garbage.

Meza was fucking terrible today. Should have scored at least once on that sitter in the 1st half (that was him, I'm 99% sure)...then a weak effort off a decent ball from Higuain in the 2nd half.

gak

<Gold Donor>
argen 896.gif

argen 999.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Brando making excuses for Messi, but yet has been SILENT about Ronaldo.

I think you have a great football mind, you seem like a real fan and student of the game, but your bias is really out of control.

Ronaldo is not only better, he is more accomplished. When Messi is 33, he will not even come close to Cristiano on an international level, but I bet he slows down A LOT for Barca around that age as well. Ronaldo just won 4 out of 5 CL titles, hauled a Euro title, and is now featuring at the 2018 World Cup. Cmon son.

Messi cant even make a penalty at this point. When Ronaldo is at the spot its a fucking foregone conclusion his team is scoring.

Messi vs Ronaldo argument is turning into a joke at this point. Anyone who is still trying to say Messi is the superior player is either high on modern chemistry, or is just blatantly biased. When is the last time Messi even scored with his head in a match of consequence?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Messi vs Ronaldo argument is turning into a joke at this point. Anyone who is still trying to say Messi is the superior player is either high on modern chemistry, or is just blatantly biased. When is the last time Messi even scored with his head in a match of consequence?

Yep my anti-UTD bias meant I disliked Ronaldo and clouded my judgement.

I still think Messi is a "better" more talented player - but Ronaldo has higher drive, work ethic, determination etc that in the twilight stages of their careers is propelling him above Messi.

Merrith

Credit to Brazil for finding a way through twice in the end. Clutch finish by them.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Neymar is a certified retard. Nothing would please me more than to see Brazil get raped again like they did in the last WC by Germany

Szlia

To be fair, the Costa Rican who stayed unconscious on the ground because Marcello touched his forehead was also pretty scummy. Karmic justice though: if they tried to play instead of trying to run the clock down, they might have been able to defend the 0-0 and certainly would not have faced 6 minutes of stoppage time!

PS: The use of VAR is still a bit odd. I guess they decided to just use it to assist or correct on big calls and not use it to find and punish every last foul that is happening (like you could card Neymar for the above, or card that guy with the most sensitive forehead..). If they did without the players being used to it, you know there would be a penalty after each free kick or corner kick and 5 cards a match given for simulation. That would make for a dumb tournament, but, in the long run, that probably would be better for the game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user