SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
There is a lesson in all these cases, its better for your significant (bitch) other to hate you at times rather than give into them and lose some self identity. Women are like cats, they love people who hate them.

Oh yeah, and DBG blah blah.
I can't decide if there a lesson here for gaming companies
tongue.png

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
My wife, when we were dating wasn't the happiest about my gaming habits. She'd get pissed when she called to say goodnight (omg so needy, she wanted a 5 minute convo before bed before we lived together) and I was half-distracted by pulling leet numbers on the dps meters. After we moved in and she could come sit with me and chill and talk things got better. We never fought about it though. She also agreed that I needed my time just as she did.

She is on my ass now to get a gaming laptop though...Our new house has my office, and thus computer, where you have to go through our master upstairs to get to it, and the family spends most of its time downstairs in the media/game room. So she wants me to get a laptop to play down there. What a horrible life I have, I have to buy more computer shit.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Shit when I met my now wife and she found out I enjoyed (mmo)RPGs she thought I went out into the woods and LARP'd. She was a bit freaked out by that. When she found out it was just video games she had no problem. Then she read Twilight and 50 Shades and is into that RP shit in the woods now. lol FREAK!
Consider yourself a lucky man if your wife is into S&M bondage out in the woods.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Consider yourself a lucky man if your wife is into S&M bondage out in the woods.
Lots of people say stuff like this, and honestly if you're not completely turned on by it yourself its really not that great a thing. I mean, most girls like that are generally going through a nympho stage. Who the fuck can work a solid day, play video games, AND satisfy a girl like that? I know my wife can get freaky and sometimes its a fucking chore man. I mean, a couple times a week its fun to spend 3-4 hours just fuckin away with all kinds of toys, ropes, etc...But every motherfucking day? Fuck that. I got pixels to get, homie. I need to be able to get my nut off and get back to leveling.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
My ex wife hated my gaming, didn't matter what form it was. When I was close to making Pro Tour for MTG she hated that, she hated when i played D&D once a week and she hated when i played WoW...even if she was in bed sleeping. I curbed back a great deal and sold my MTG collection to buy our house. (biggest mistake ever) and she ended up having an affair and that was that. I told myself I wouldn't compromise my hobbies (within reason) for a woman again.

My wife now doesn't mind my computer gaming but she gets annoyed at D&D sometimes, mainly because shes so introverted she would rather stay home and that I be with her. I told her early on that's not how things work and once in awhile she'll get pissy but I ignore it and she's fine later. I only play like twice a month if I'm lucky. She was bitching about it to a friend of hers once and her friend laughed at her. "So let me get this strait, you're angry your husband goes to his friends, plays a game and never leaves other then to eat, isn't drinking or hanging out with other women and is home by 11 twice a month?" That's when things got better for the most part.
off topic infract yo' self

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have it pretty good. My wife works nights at a hospital as a nurse. So once or sometimes twice a month Fri-Sun is a gaming weekend, and during the week I play when she works. When she is home, I do not touch games except maybe Hearthstone dailies before dinner and after dealing with traffic on the way home.

Best of both worlds really
smile.png

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Guys, the change finally came. Got word that H1Z1 scooped hot talent up and confirmed it via LinkedIn. Welcome to Salim's Lot.

P.S. Never really dealt with the guy, but people have strong opinions here.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Guys, the change finally came. Got word that H1Z1 scooped hot talent up and confirmed it via LinkedIn. Welcome to Salim's Lot.

P.S. Never really dealt with the guy, but people have strong opinions here.
Hurry someone talk about women before we get back on topic.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lots of people say stuff like this, and honestly if you're not completely turned on by it yourself its really not that great a thing. I mean, most girls like that are generally going through a nympho stage. Who the fuck can work a solid day, play video games, AND satisfy a girl like that? I know my wife can get freaky and sometimes its a fucking chore man. I mean, a couple times a week its fun to spend 3-4 hours just fuckin away with all kinds of toys, ropes, etc...But every motherfucking day? Fuck that. I got pixels to get, homie. I need to be able to get my nut off and get back to leveling.
Agreed. High maintenance sex lives get old fast.

Relevant: Salim liked to tie up Vanguard and fuck it in the ass.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You don't need to be into someones hobbies to support them and be with them. That point was lost on you I guess. I'm not into my wifes photography of abandoned places either but I support her and go with her regardless.
I'm calling bullshit on your entire story. People who play MTG professionally don't have wives/girlfriends.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I didn't play professionally. I said I almost did. So you made yourself wrong with your own logic. Congrats, we both think you're retarded.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I didn't play professionally. I said I almost did. So you made yourself wrong with your own logic. Congrats, we both think you're retarded.
So you weren't even good enough to play it professionally, in other words. So you lost out on the money and the woman.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
How does Silius keep getting hired?
The same reason half my bosses and peers at various shit jobs were incompetent and kept getting hired in their industry? Liken Vidya game deving to retail management, where the simple fact you've survived and not said fuck it and gotten a more stable, less demanding job means something. Salim has worked places, will show up for work, hasn't done anything so terrible to get blackball-fired, and hasn't developed a pill habit (yet).... he's a top fucking recruit!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The same reason half my bosses and peers at various shit jobs were incompetent and kept getting hired in their industry? Liken Vidya game deving to retail management, where the simple fact you've survived and not said fuck it and gotten a more stable, less demanding job means something. Salim has worked places, will show up for work, hasn't done anything so terrible to get blackball-fired, and hasn't developed a pill habit (yet).... he's a top fucking recruit!
Cynicism aside, he's not wrong. Experience counts for a lot, even if the delivered product wasn't well received critically or commercially. I don't know if it's still like this in the industry, but when I was shopping around for a development position I was told that the number of shipped games I'd worked on -notthe number of quality games - was the best thing I could list on my resume.

When you think about it though, it really makes sense. Through mentorship and guidance, you can improve someone's skills and help them get better at making games. It's much harder to take a perfectionist (or any number of other destructive traits) and mold them into a productive developer.

Believe it or not, there are many, many people that work on games for several years and never ship a single one. At that point the hiring manager is going to make the association that it's you, not the company you worked for.

Vitality

HUSTLE
When you think about it though, it really makes sense. Through mentorship and guidance, you can improve someone's skills and help them get better at making games. It's much harder to take a perfectionist (or any number of other destructive traits) and mold them into a productive developer.
Independent creativity has paid off for quite a few companies in recent history. Guidance and Mentorship might be all good but when it's forced from the top down by the "Lead Game Dictators" you're just getting spoon-fed failure by the ton.

Selling your dignity for a job is just insane.

This industry was founded on Independent Creation principles. It's slowly, albeit very loudly, reverting (as proof of the daybreak sell off).