SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
How is it that this company has less customer support than a fucking emulated server?

They literally have no phone number or even email to contact. All they have is that awful petition site which you can't even use if your account has been suspended.
Literally baffled how an online company doesn't even have a fucking email address what a complete joke of a company lol

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I've been on countless raids of all shapes and sizes. I think the perfect raid size is 10 srs. Big enough to feel like a party. Small enough where every person's contribution matters. And right on the threshhold before raid size becomes a logistics nightmare of scheduling/waiting. I had more fun in Karazhan than any other BC content. Had more fun in Strath/Scholo than Molten Core/Blackwing's lair.

Of course it will vary from person to person, but I strongly disagree that raids need lots of people to be epic. The reason EQ's raids became so large was because without instancing SOE needed each raid to occupy lots of people. Hopefully we won't see those days again, outside of special events maybe.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't understand what the hard on is for racial cities?

I'd like to see innovation to the genre, not go backward to game styles from 20 years ago. Crowfall, for example, has an amazingly new game design (for pvp) with their campaign/building/crafting system. I hope they pull it off. Why can't we have some new shit for PVE? I understand people like certain games and hopefully indie/aaa studios continue making games for all kinds of people. I'm not here to say whatever iteration of EQ3/N we get should be anything. Honestly they should probably just remake the original and let it lie. Probably very easy to do since there is nothing complicated at all with the original EQ design.

The points I've made are basically for future games in general. I'd love to get away from the level paradigm for once. I'd love to get way the fuck away from the quest treadmill themepark type of game. I'd love to get the fuck away from logging in and deciding where you want to grind to get rewards (essentially WOW at level cap). I'd like to play in a game world where the actions of the game and the population dictate what activities I can do and what I want to do.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
100 percent agree with your argument and I'd never lash out against evolving the genre. I want my classic experience but never at the expense of innovation. I assume there's enough room for both, but I feel like we haven't seen either in years. And when I say both, I mean that the lion's share has to be the innovators otherwise MMOs are fucked. Niche is nice though and strives for a different market.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i like racial starting cities because i want my MMO world to actually feel like a WORLD. how boring would Earth be if everyone spawned in New York?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
i like racial starting cities because i want my MMO world to actually feel like a WORLD. how boring would Earth be if everyone spawned in New York?
I don't know. I've always had a lot of fun in NYC. Now Fordville, ND doesn't sound nearly as enjoyable but I guess everyone likes their rural beginnings, right?

Etchazz, just for you.False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It could easily be argued(and has), that both games are shit. Yes, your sweet first love is a pile of shit. How you feeling, brother?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'd like to see innovation to the genre, not go backward to game styles from 20 years ago. Crowfall, for example, has an amazingly new game design (for pvp) with their campaign/building/crafting system. I hope they pull it off. Why can't we have some new shit for PVE? I understand people like certain games and hopefully indie/aaa studios continue making games for all kinds of people. I'm not here to say whatever iteration of EQ3/N we get should be anything. Honestly they should probably just remake the original and let it lie. Probably very easy to do since there is nothing complicated at all with the original EQ design.

The points I've made are basically for future games in general. I'd love to get away from the level paradigm for once. I'd love to get way the fuck away from the quest treadmill themepark type of game. I'd love to get the fuck away from logging in and deciding where you want to grind to get rewards (essentially WOW at level cap). I'd like to play in a game world where the actions of the game and the population dictate what activities I can do and what I want to do.
You'll laugh and probably not take this serious but this is why I'm interested in the pantheon update. I want to see what kind of ideas they have to take the old school concept to a new level. They've hinted at doing just that, picking up where EQ left off. I think they'll have solid ideas, I think it will boil down to if they have skilled enough people to implement them.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You'll laugh and probably not take this serious but this is why I'm interested in the pantheon update. I want to see what kind of ideas they have to take the old school concept to a new level. They've hinted at doing just that, picking up where EQ left off. I think they'll have solid ideas, I think it will boil down to if they have skilled enough people to implement them.
Picking up where EQ left off is still a decade or more outdated. There have stated nothing that changes of the game is played. It's still a bunch of open/instance dungeons with mobs that stand still or path or run scripted encounters that you bash on for a while.

You're looking and getting excited in the wrong direction man. You need to find the people making games like No Man's Sky or the smaller studios making shit like Crowfall. I haven't see any game that really interests me on a PVE side of things that isn't the same old same old with a few different variables thrown in.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

We just need skyrim multiplayer tbh. People do shit in world, change state of world, you login and you see those changes. Its all right there.

Racial cities help make a world a world.. some peeps including me like the idea of a realistic world. Eq, Eq2, WoW, Vanguard for me had that feeling and starting towns/cities helped with that and replayability. (eq2 to a lesser degree.)

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picking up where EQ left off is still a decade or more outdated. There have stated nothing that changes of the game is played. It's still a bunch of open/instance dungeons with mobs that stand still or path or run scripted encounters that you bash on for a while.

You're looking and getting excited in the wrong direction man. You need to find the people making games like No Man's Sky or the smaller studios making shit like Crowfall. I haven't see any game that really interests me on a PVE side of things that isn't the same old same old with a few different variables thrown in.
I disagree about it being outdated. It has just been skipped over a bit. I think dynamic content within an overland dungeon is an example of something that needs to be explored on different levels. If there are too many people in the zone or not enough people, those areas should respond. Too many people might mean a boss calls for reinforcements and the mobs begin to aggressively try to push players out of the dungeon, too less activity by players and maybe the dungeon levels and becomes high level content. I don't necessarily want that to always occur but I think developers should be exploring routes like that to not only keep the world interesting but to not waste content.

For the record, I'm ok with Pantheon being a more updated EQ/VG hybrid with some new twists. I don't really have a burning desire for radical concepts in my PVE mmo space. It's not that I don't want it to happen, I don't mind the old way of doing things. I think games like Pantheon will be familiar, but I do expect them to offer a little more.

I don't know what to expect from AI. Not just with Pantheon but any PVE game. Dev's have always said they can make AI as punishing and smart as they want but there needs to be a balance. I was hoping EQN would be the ones to bring something revolutionary in that regard to the table.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Name one game that felt like a world without Racial starting cities....
Zelda? I dunno. Do I really need to answer your question? Aion felt like a world. ESO felt like a world. Archeage felt like a world, more so than a lot of games. Wildstar, even with all it's faults, had really good world building. Creating a world doesn't mean knowing that somewhere in the game is a city where people walk around it for an hour or two before never seeing it again. Saying that it's impossible to build a world without individual starting racial newbie zones/cities is dumb.

That shit is just nostalgia.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I disagree about it being outdated. It has just been skipped over a bit. I think dynamic content within an overland dungeon is an example of something that needs to be explored on different levels. If there are too many people in the zone or not enough people, those areas should respond. Too many people might mean a boss calls for reinforcements and the mobs begin to aggressively try to push players out of the dungeon, too less activity by players and maybe the dungeon levels and becomes high level content. I don't necessarily want that to always occur but I think developers should be exploring routes like that to not only keep the world interesting but to not waste content.

For the record, I'm ok with Pantheon being a more updated EQ/VG hybrid with some new twists. I don't really have a burning desire for radical concepts in my PVE mmo space. It's not that I don't want it to happen, I don't mind the old way of doing things. I think games like Pantheon will be familiar, but I do expect them to offer a little more.

I don't know what to expect from AI. Not just with Pantheon but any PVE game. Dev's have always said they can make AI as punishing and smart as they want but there needs to be a balance. I was hoping EQN would be the ones to bring something revolutionary in that regard to the table.
EQ is a basic game, and there isn't any additional layers to it outside spawn/rare spawn camping with spawn tables and shit. Dynamic is complicated stuff and it's beyond the simple script structure GW2 tried to sell us. Everything you're explaining GW2 did 5 years ago and it's very shallow. Rift did that before that. It's all very shallow.

Plus the talent making this game is not capable of pulling anything more complicated. Pantheon will be your statis mob spawning game if it's ever an actual game. So you can be happy you're getting hte game you want. Maybe?