SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Zelda? I dunno. Do I really need to answer your question? Aion felt like a world. ESO felt like a world. Archeage felt like a world, more so than a lot of games. Wildstar, even with all it's faults, had really good world building. Creating a world doesn't mean knowing that somewhere in the game is a city where people walk around it for an hour or two before never seeing it again. Saying that it's impossible to build a world without individual starting racial newbie zones/cities is dumb.

That shit is just nostalgia.
Maybe its the racial part that is unnecessary, i did not play those you mentioned but poster above mentioned SWG which certainly felt like a world and i think as a race you could start anywhere.. So maybe for me its not racial, its starting somewhere with many places you go and you can have alternate starting paths as well. The one path thing is what really gets me, race based or not different starting places helps with re-playability for me and makes it feel like a world i guess.

bwuceli_sl

shitlord
Aion felt like a world. ESO felt like a world. Archeage felt like a world, more so than a lot of games. Wildstar, even with all it's faults, had really good world building.
That shit is just nostalgia.
No, ESO felt unnecessary. EQ, DAOC and WoW felt like a world. None of your examples felt like a world, they felt like a design document.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any MMO's that have doors that do not open in a town feel like a fake world to me.

Basically EQ only felt real.

Or it was the fact I was 8

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Racial cities has nothing to do with the actual feel of a world. It's completely unnecessary.
That's your opinion, and you are wrong.

If everyone starts in the same zone, then what is the point? You might as well call it a LOBBY.

Lobby games may be what you are looking for and they have their place, but you keep asking for the same crap that everyone is doing already. So much for your claim of wanting innovation.

EQ is so old now that if they rebuilt it just the way is use to be (I'm not asking for that, it's just to make a point), then it would be innovative because many of their gameplay elements are not used anymore. Some of them for good reason, but mostly because the genre has gone down the path of not wanting to bother the casual idiot... the same casual idiot that will leave for another game anyways in a couple of weeks. Chasing the casual is a losing battle. Only WoW won with that philosophy.

Your way has been done ad nauseum, and it continues to fail over and over again.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQ is a basic game, and there isn't any additional layers to it outside spawn/rare spawn camping with spawn tables and shit. Dynamic is complicated stuff and it's beyond the simple script structure GW2 tried to sell us. Everything you're explaining GW2 did 5 years ago and it's very shallow. Rift did that before that. It's all very shallow.

Plus the talent making this game is not capable of pulling anything more complicated. Pantheon will be your statis mob spawning game if it's ever an actual game. So you can be happy you're getting hte game you want. Maybe?
The gameplay was simple but the politics were not. And you obviously never experienced it.

Stop using your admittedly very small experience with EQ to make broad generalizations. I'm not white knighting EQ, and don't want to have it redone exactly with just new graphics. But when I hear people like you make statements that only illustrate your ignorance, then i feel the urge to push back. Usually, I just ignore you and the rest who are so clueless to the things that made EQ unique. More so lately, since you never bother to listen.

EvE is also a simple game btw, if you just consider the gameplay elements and not the politics.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm still looking for all these 'casual' MMORPGs people say exist. ESO takes hundreds of hours to reach max level. ArcheAge required massive amounts of time investment on a daily basis to be effective. Wildstar was an ass pounding siege. TERA was an enormous grind to level cap. The only AAA MMORPG that felt really 'casual' to me in the last 5 years was GW2, and I tired of that one rather quickly when I figured out the PVE/loot was terrible.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Innovative is not rehashing old stuff that isn't used anymore. Once it's been done, it can't be innovative anymore. Most of the things WoW moved on from was specifically because most people did not like them. That's not to say there isn't a market for EQ 1999 Part Duex but it's a very small market. Potentially lucrative but small with limited funding to actually innovate from the basic rehash.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This is a retarded comment. You can argue it's not necessary if you want but to say racial cities have "nothing to do with the actual feel of a world" is so stupid I can't believe you'd seriously say it.
Going to strongly agree and agree with Grim. Racial cities have everything to do with the world, especially with how it was done in EQ and the faction system. And how you could change that over time really gave the world more life than anything else on the market then and now. Well, one of the areas that impacted the spoke of the feel of the world. It was a combination of about 16 things off the top of my head but that was a big one.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Innovative is not rehashing old stuff that isn't used anymore. Once it's been done, it can't be innovative anymore. Most of the things WoW moved on from was specifically because most people did not like them. That's not to say there isn't a market for EQ 1999 Part Duex but it's a very small market. Potentially lucrative but small with limited funding to actually innovate from the basic rehash.
I think the pendulum swings both ways. People don't know what they've got until it's gone.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still think a Rift type system would make for engaging PVE content. Not just rifts opening in the sky though but the idea of Packs of mobs moving places with a purpose. If devs would tie land control with resource management and a more flexible faction system. Guilds hold land, and can spawn packs of npc's to assist in land grabs from other players and npc's in the pvp areas as well and you could have a real fluid system.

Blackburrow's Fippy would be a Lt. leading a raid of gnolls. Tuco and crew would be working towards taking over the land that supplies the gnolls with all of the spawning pits for the waves of dog faced bastards, basicly make a version of master of magic kinda with a meld of Tera action combat, gliding/boating/trade from Archage, with the world building/destruction from Crowfall and the Rift's early aggressive Packs of purpose driven mobs.

Mmmm that would be a truly interesting game with Onyixa coming out of the caves to lead an attack and other crazy shit. Wrynn could get off his ass and actually do something outside of a cutscene. Ahh well pipe dream but It is a fun one for me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My point was that having a world doesn't hinge on whether or not you have 15 racial cities. You can have 4 starting towns or cities.

Conversely having just one doesn't certainly help the cause either.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The gameplay was simple but the politics were not. And you obviously never experienced it.

Stop using your admittedly very small experience with EQ to make broad generalizations. I'm not white knighting EQ, and don't want to have it redone exactly with just new graphics. But when I hear people like you make statements that only illustrate your ignorance, then i feel the urge to push back. Usually, I just ignore you and the rest who are so clueless to the things that made EQ unique. More so lately, since you never bother to listen.

EvE is also a simple game btw, if you just consider the gameplay elements and not the politics.
When did I ever comment on player behavior? I was only commenting on the game mechanics in the context of it bring easier to make a game like that given Pantheons.. Issues.

Any game will have its own interesting player interactions given enough passion and interest in the game.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still looking for all these 'casual' MMORPGs people say exist. ESO takes hundreds of hours to reach max level. ArcheAge required massive amounts of time investment on a daily basis to be effective. Wildstar was an ass pounding siege. TERA was an enormous grind to level cap. The only AAA MMORPG that felt really 'casual' to me in the last 5 years was GW2, and I tired of that one rather quickly when I figured out the PVE/loot was terrible.
Your definition of hardcore seems to be extreme grinding. That's not mine and I don't consider it a necessary part of any game. EQ had that but that isn't what I was referring to.

EQ had many gameplay elements that created a sense of danger that doesn't exist anymore in most games. EvE has that sense of danger, but it's because of the chance of being ganked. What made EQ special is that they created a sense of danger in a PvE world.

Modern EQ doesn't have that sense of danger and that is because the devs over time eliminated most of what made EQ unique in an attempt to cater to the caterwauling casuals who left anyways. Casuals don't like danger, griefing or anything where they might LOSE something they worked so hard for.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ah okay. Ya you're right then. There's nothing with as harsh a penalty for failure as EQ99

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think the pendulum swings both ways. People don't know what they've got until it's gone.
I agree. I'm not saying there isn't a desire or even unknown desire for some of these elements. I saying it can never be an 'innovation' again. Going back 'down the well', "bringing back danger", etc but it's always going to be bringing back old school instead of innovation. We see with studios like the Crowfall one, that smaller studios can innovate and an old school MMO surely could. There's just limited time and money involved and you have to know what is going to be necessary for your 'vision' and what just isn't feasible.

One problem is that the old guys want to do things they've never done and the new guys probably want something fresh as well. There are more tools than ever before so who knows.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I don't know. I've always had a lot of fun in NYC. Now Fordville, ND doesn't sound nearly as enjoyable but I guess everyone likes their rural beginnings, right?

Etchazz, just for you.False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It could easily be argued(and has), that both games are shit. Yes, your sweet first love is a pile of shit. How you feeling, brother?
I really don't care if you or Draegan or whoever else liked EQ or not. It wasn't created for people like you anyway. You probably either never played the game in the first place, or were just online whining like a bitch the entire time because someone stole your camp and your mom wasn't home to stroke your penis and make you feel better.