SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I liked Paineel
frown.png
The rowdy dancing skelly troupe in the tavern was awesome!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
More starting cities = more leveling paths = your piece of shit 1 month hit & quit game might actually be playable for 2 or 3 months. Every fucking mmo since 2004 has come out with like 2 leveling paths and they've all been garbage. The only one that had some spicyness is FF14.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Keep in mind that in vanilla EQ cities still served binding and banking opportunities.
I still remember my monk pal (weight limits) paying/interacting with random ogres noobs to vendor his temple of ct loot for pp in Oggok; which he later would use to pay druids to port him wherever needed. With only Freeport and Qeynos that would've never happened.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People who are against starting cities tend to just look at it as leveling content and not much else. I think they ignore all the little hooks that exist within or don't see them important enough to warrant the time spent creating those areas. I don't disagree when you look at the issues VG had. Some of those areas felt like a waste of dev time. I think a creative dev team can make that extra work worth it long term tho.

Pantheon on.

Badger Milk_sl

shitlord
Eqn 4.0 inc. We'll call this era "Russ Shanks the industry"

In a detailed interview, Russ says "I fucking hate voxels so I ripped those fuckers right out of the game." He went on to add that "denial of service heathens can fuck off and Landmark? Lol that 'game' sux."
Can we add over-sized clown armor/weapons to the list? I know devs like to call it "stylized" but anyone over the age of 10 just calls it "retarded". If it looks like the laws of gravity are your character models biggest enemy, tone that shit down.

I liked the early eqnext concept art, but it already suffered from that problem.. ah fuck it , I got photoshop and 5 minutes

rrr_img_107549.jpg

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Keep in mind that in vanilla EQ cities still served binding and banking opportunities.
I still remember my monk pal (weight limits) paying/interacting with random ogres noobs to vendor his temple of ct loot for pp in Oggok; which he later would use to pay druids to port him wherever needed. With only Freeport and Qeynos that would've never happened.
They made them survival areas. You couldn't survive in EQ without a city. Maybe, maybe..a druid could.

I played a Magician who was intentionally KoS everywhere but entirely self-sufficient, except for reagents. (Later I used NFP) So I had to have friends get my reagents from town. The game forced inter-dependency. It was especially clear when the Zeks were first released. Doubt many people remember just how damn hard it was to make anything due to the Factions. I had a trade-ring between factions so crafters could actually...craft. Elves bringing in the (wood?) items for DE's to make bows, etc...

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd rather see an eq of this century than a remake of eq when 3d graphics cards were a new thing. Who knows what that is, but its certainly not static mob grinding for days.
I disagree with you.
There are some of us want to play something closer to EQ 1999 (tweaked, improved, expanded upon but keeps all the design philosophy and mechanics) than playing another lifeless, solo-forced, roleless, quest-driven, instance-infested crap excuse of a "massively" multiplayer RPG.

Have you played EverQuest prior to 2003? Just wondering.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Camping rare spawns with place holders is an essential part of EQ for me. We/I take the piss out of Pantheon but that has camping so I'll be buying it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I disagree with you.
There are some of us want to play something closer to EQ 1999 (tweaked, improved, expanded upon but keeps all the design philosophy and mechanics) than playing another lifeless, solo-forced, roleless, quest-driven, instance-infested crap excuse of a "massively" multiplayer RPG.

Have you played EverQuest prior to 2003? Just wondering.
None of those things you listed that you liked or hated have a place in any modern MMO. The genre needs a better gameplay Mechanic if its a pve game.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As for the starting areas, It's all about your target audience or the willingness to keep that content relevant. Some people enjoy having their racial homes. I think if you go that route, you need to keep those areas interesting with dynamic type content. EQN was actually in a position to do that with the SB tech.
EQ had high level mobs in low level zones and everything was killable. One of my first memories of EQ was some guild raiding Qeynos and killing everything in sight. They got jack for loot though. My quest mobs were gone for a half hour or so, but I couldn't care less. I rarely quested in EQ anyways (irony I know).

You can make low level zones relevant easily by just putting a raid mob or two in there with decent loot. It's not that tough. The pube types will complain about griefing the quest mobs but really, fuck them. EQ was about grief and drama, not about it's polygons or "awesome" quests. Make the respawn 20 minutes or so and put a weekly timer on loot drops, the griefing will be minimal. Don't get rid of griefing though.

Pretty much every game since EQ has tried to cater to the pussy crowd. Don't bother, WoW owns it. Make EQ a bit like EvE but with more PvE, then populate it with dark elves, butt scratching fat ogres and UGLY trolls. And if it has hard factions, it isn't EQ.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Like what?
I dunno, I'm not a game dev. It's going to be along the lines of dynamic play like GW2 but better with out circular shitty scripting? It's not going to be themepark bullshit or it's not going to be static mobs just sitting around waiting to be killed.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I like the thought behind starting cities but no one has carte blanche anymore to make them. They are wasted resources no matter how cool they are. I love high level mobs in early areas as well. Most of the conversation is really about the first year of EQ(pushing things back really). I just don't see a massive crowd wanting what EQ once offered, especially with younger gamers. Don't throw out the completely unrelated info about the Dark Souls series either. Different games, genres, etc. An old EQ style game would be for a niche crowd and that means funding issues for many of the things people here espouse.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I like the thought behind starting cities but no one has carte blanche anymore to make them. They are wasted resources no matter how cool they are. I love high level mobs in early areas as well. Most of the conversation is really about the first year of EQ(pushing things back really). I just don't see a massive crowd wanting what EQ once offered, especially with younger gamers. Don't throw out the completely unrelated info about the Dark Souls series either. Different games, genres, etc. An old EQ style game would be for a niche crowd and that means funding issues for many of the things people here espouse.
Ok, how do you know this? If every game made like WoW is shit, then the opposite must be true.