SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Mur_sl

shitlord
VIC-20 with the cassette drive. Used to copy code from the magazines you could buy.

That took a hell of a lot of dumpster diving to collect aluminum cans and Coors bottles for the $$$.

--I love when you forget to actually quote what you think you're quoting; kinda like blacking out in the middle of a drunken conversation, only to continue it when you wake up 10 minutes later, with everyone else giving you that look... o_O I clearly need more beer.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I would say there was a close tie being the full blown mouthbreathing on the Rift alpha forums and the VanGuard alpha forums. And that's saying quite a bit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
blah blah dikumud everyone knows the story. Fact is no one else could apply the elements that worked to create a game like EQ. No one since. He may not have even been the brightest of the original EQ bunch, but he was there and he is still here trying to apply what works to create something different. Thats more than you can say of the 99% of the games that have launched since.

Not only that but he has admitted verbatim that EQ was inspired by and large by muds and he has given them credit by name numerous times over the years.
Because nobody else tried blatantly ripping off a diku mud? That's really your retarded argument?

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just don't consider it fraud
The difference is marketing. Had SOE released Vex Thal three months later under Patch 4.5: Attack on Vex Thal, no one would have care. Instead, they claimed it was complete and in game.This is something Blizzard perfected, the staggered release of an expansion under the guise of additional content.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You shouldn't have to.
I agree lyr
smile.png

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
1) Sleeper's tomb was not itemized. The Sleeper art was not finished. The 4th warder was buffed on purpose to make it impossible to pass, and when a guild did so using exploits to do so, they banned them because it showed the public they hadn't finished what they had already sold and advertised,
I was in that guild... I really don't think we exploited. The story goes we were exploiting some z-axis garbage but they freaked out when the script began running. The sleeper turned into a giant human and starting wrecking stuff. When the script got to a certain point, everything pretty well crashed. Everyone was banned except 2-3 of us I believe. That was a long time ago though.

Funny thing was I went to Florida for a family vacation. I left the night of the raid, came back that following week, and maybe 2 other people were on with guild tags. I may not know the full story though, that's just what was always said to me.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
VIC-20 with the cassette drive.
I remember loading C64 games with my cassette drive. Sometimes it would take an hour to load. You'd start loading before dinner in the hopes it would be done by then. Want to feel old? I told my nine year old that story, and she asked what a cassette tape was.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I was in that guild... I really don't think we exploited. The story goes we were exploiting some z-axis garbage but they freaked out when the script began running. The sleeper turned into a giant human and starting wrecking stuff. When the script got to a certain point, everything pretty well crashed. Everyone was banned except 2-3 of us I believe. That was a long time ago though.

Funny thing was I went to Florida for a family vacation. I left the night of the raid, came back that following week, and maybe 2 other people were on with guild tags. I may not know the full story though, that's just what was always said to me.
Guild Drow woke the sleeper no?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
There are a lot of Class of 90 people in the MMO community. I think it has something to do with being the right age for exposure to Diku Muds and subsequently EQ. Oddly enough some online/industry friends and I were talking about this very subject earlier today and how strange it seems that we are all the same or very nearly the same age.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only people I hate are the ones who were in College when EQ came out. Fucking College Internet Connection was like cheating.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
There are a lot of Class of 90 people in the MMO community. I think it has something to do with being the right age for exposure to Diku Muds and subsequently EQ. Oddly enough some online/industry friends and I were talking about this very subject earlier today and how strange it seems that we are all the same or very nearly the same age.
I guess we just didn't talk about age on Tunare? Ton of us were class of 00 and didn't realize it until 05 or so.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Rumor is that Smed ran SOE into the ground so that he could keep his job. By devaluing SOE so much, it would be sold to someone other than another development studio. Sony has apparently been shopping SOE around longer than we probably realize.
You're either joking or an idiot. Hoping for the former.