SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Opimo_sl

shitlord
And Mr. John Smedley shows again exactly how he ran SOE into the ground: by being really, really unprofessional.
Rumor is that Smed ran SOE into the ground so that he could keep his job. By devaluing SOE so much, it would be sold to someone other than another development studio. Sony has apparently been shopping SOE around longer than we probably realize.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ut, calling stalled content release fraud is a stretch. Pretty much the only thing I blatantly disagree with in the last 5 pages. Not even taking into account how many of the then "current" gamers even understood the unfinished content and broken quests.

You fuckers are OLD. I feel old being a Junior in HS when eq launched. You guys had to be class of 90.

The impression I get from all the mmo bosses is they take for granted what they're told. From the yes men, to the dcuo bug fixes that were referenced and all the other horror stories we hear about. In my own work I assume everyone is lying, but I probably spent too much time within the Fed and am just jaded. Jaded yet rarely surprised. I'm so fucking happy I went into accounting instead of gaming.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Ut, calling stalled content release fraud is a stretch. Pretty much the only thing I blatantly disagree with in the last 5 pages. Not even taking into account how many of the then "current" gamers even understood the unfinished content and broken quests.

You fuckers are OLD. I feel old being a Junior in HS when eq launched. You guys had to be class of 90.
Class of 90 rocks your socks!!!

Greatest class ever

1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/respect

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reading that list of the layoffs, it's interesting to see just how many females actually work in gaming. Much more then i assumed unless SOE was an outlier.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Someone want to finally explain to me wtf the difference between extended and expanded memory was? Fucking Wing Commander.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Reading that list of the layoffs, it's interesting to see just how many females actually work in gaming. Much more then i assumed unless SOE was an outlier.
Community/PR managers are almost universally women at an IT/tech based company. They're also typically some of the first to get axed if a company needs to unload bloat.

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
In Hartsman's defense, Rift would have been the game if some of the changes out of beta wouldn't have happened. You may have meant that but Rift was a near perfect attempt at the type of game we were looking for but instead of taking the steps in the right direction it took an unexpected turn thanks to the more vocal people.
One of the small things that bothered me about RIFT was that when mobs reached 10% of their health, they never ran in fear as they did in EverQuest and sometimes in WoW. When mobs flee and can bring back friends with them, it makes combat far more challenging and requires players to use snare and root to prevent the group from wiping.

I asked Scott Hartsmann about this on Twitter. He told me that the beta testers were confused by fleeing mobs and as a result that feature was not included. So yes, I do agree that the RIFT beta testers were sub-par and hurt the title. But you can't let the testers dictate the design of the MMO and Scott and the RIFT team should have held their ground.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I should clarify for you.

The Velious expansion - sold as advertised:

1) Sleeper's tomb was not itemized. The Sleeper art was not finished. The 4th warder was buffed on purpose to make it impossible to pass, and when a guild did so using exploits to do so, they banned them because it showed the public they hadn't finished what they had already sold and advertised,

2) Same expansion: Plane of Mischief wasn't finished, populated, or itemized. Nor were the quest lines finished. Not bugged, Not finished.

3) NTOV wasn't itemized for 2 months.

Shadows of Luclin - sold as advertised:

Vex Thal not finished and graphical patches for the zone came 6 months later. Maiden's eye drop was artificially bugged to prevent keying. Gating content to be able to have control to stop players from entering what was already sold, but not complete when sold.

Planes of Power: Sold as advertised:

Plane of Water, Air, and PO time completely not finished. Developer boxes in PO Time for 5 months post launch. Artificial movement bug placed within POW Water to stop players from advancing but sold as a complete expansion.

I could go on and on about what they did here. And Smedley even admitted it. I won a bet, which was a free all access pass back in 2006 on the FoH forums.

They sold unfinished expansions as complete, false advertised on the box, and tried to finish them after already having collected the revenue and charging subscriptions for the content to be played out.

Stalled content was the basis for this model and artificial gates were the mechanism in which they tried to hide the fact.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Aye I understand and was playing in the second tier being blocked from access in all those zones by the top tier guilds. Minus PoM, I was able to sneak in there without killing ntov once it was itemized.

I just don't consider it fraud, and I doubt any court would either. My reason is simple, I enjoyed the 4-6 months of the expansion I had available to me instead of waiting for the full content being polished for a live release. We bitched a lot about it back then though and it took me nearly a decade to come to this reasoning, but I probably wouldn't have if we didn't go through the Vulak / Fippy fiasco a few years ago.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There are tons of female game designers and producers. Don't tell Anita that though. Pesky facts get in the way of her whoring website hits.